BB&T Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Teller Part Time  in  Boone, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

The team of people whom I worked with were wonderful!
    Get lots of long weekends due to bank holidays.
    You learn a lot about banking

Cons

lunch hours are never consistent

Have a program where all upper management have to have experience from the bottom up, that way the know what to expect and understand what is obtainable by lower end management.

Started off good but went down hill

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Wilmington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Wilmington, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and for, not major sales pressure, great benefits, good work/life balance, good perks, federal holidays and accumulated vacations days off, decent pay in comparison to other banks.

Cons

Been here for a year and have seen a major change in company culture, especially in the past six months. Changes at both branch and corporate levels, making it a bit more stressful, to a point of worry about job security. Past six months have lead to a few layoffs, short staffing which leads to longer wait times and more frustrated clients and no end on sight especially with hiring freeze. Other than that, usual cons especially being part time like having to float to other branches, a few monotonous moments, software and hardware seems a bit dated, but this comes with the territory and job title, if you couldn't handle those simple problems, I'm not sure you could do the job.

The upper management really needs to get its act together and start hiring again. Being short at the teller level adds to stresses of everyone at the branch level. The management inconsistent views have turned from really caring about the client and the employee, to us employees just feeling like a B or C number and clients just being another deposit account or another loan and can and will have to deal with waiting an hour just to get into their safety deposit box or waiting 20 minutes to deposit one check. This hiring freeze and moving people around and short staffing in branches and making us employees feel like crud is really going to drive those good employees that deserve more into roles with other companies and leave you left with those employees that aren't worth a damn and don't care about the job and clients that have gone elsewhere because they may me treated better at another institution.

It all starts at the teller level, start treating us good again and drop the dead weight at the branch and corporate levels and the sky is the limit.

BB&T teller interview

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Emporia, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Emporia, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for less than a year

Pros

good company with great benefits! and off for your birthday. There a lot of branches on the east coast, so you will be able to transfer to different areas. Also have a lot of different career oppurtunities

Cons

Company has had a lot of cut backs lately. Employees that have been there 20+ years have been cut back to part time hours.

Be considerate

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked for BB&T for 10 years. Most recent job title - Banking Network Branch Manager

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Can't think of any others.

Cons

Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management. I left BB&T after being offered a position at a small town community bank. I struggled with the decision even though working for BB&T was so stressful, it was affecting my health, my sleep and quality of life. I am not one to give up easily because I put my heart and soul into my job. The beginning of the end for me was when I received an email from my Regional Manager regarding a "call night" that I volunteered for my branch because we were behind on our credit card goals. When I sent in the results of those calls to my Regional Manager, I received an email back in capital letters with many exclamation marks stating the results were completely unacceptable. He stated that if I and my team and make "x" amount of calls we should have made "X" amount of contacts that should have resulted in "X" amount of sales. So now I have to control who answers the phone at night or is even home! Unbelievable! He said nothing about appreciating our efforts and that we were doing all we could (and then some) to try to reach our goals. This is the type of unappreciative management that BB&T has. In my area, employees are leaving in droves because of the direction BB&T is going with the bank. What happened to this bank? What happened to Kelly King? Over the years, one of the things that I heard over and over when something unethical would happen is "that is not the BB&T way". Well, the BB&T way now is this - employees are just a number, they don't care about their employees at all and they don't care about their customers either. Because if any of you reading this are customers of BB&T, the only thing they want from you is a "sale". And if the employee waiting on you doesn't produce one, they will be looking for another job. Leaving BBT was the best decision I ever made.

I don't have advice for a management that handles business this way. It's shameful and I don't know how they sleep at night.

No advancement due to politics

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a job - this in not a career oriented Company

Cons

You are told you can take training but have the company pay for it first. I believed I would be reimbursed after I obtained a certification and that did not happen. Women appear to be under valued.

More women on the Board of Directors and in Senior Management. Alot of talking the talk but not walking the walk about treatment of employees.

The worse experience of my professional career.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at BB&T

Pros

ON THE SURFACE- life force, 401k, pension plan.

Cons

This particular branch was the worse experience of my life. There was SO much going on I would be ASHAMED for KELLY KING to know! Politics, people backstabbing one another, management covering for their pets! Disgusting!!!!! Upper management "grooming their pets" to be whatever they want them to be. Never had a more disappointing experience IN MY LIFE! Disgusting how HUMAN beings are taken out of the equation all together.... Nothing but market leaders trying to make themselves look good, whoring after whatever sale opportunity they can, whoring themselves and their employees!!! Despicable! I could see right through what was going on at this company. Listen, DO NOT WASTE your time, and I mean your emotional time at this company!!!! Very alarming, misleading, basically they will try and sell this amazing job offer to you and once you get there it is like the worse job ever.

Wake up!!!!! Get a clue!!! Why are all of my employees leaving Resigning We all know you truly don't care but someone seriously needs to!!!! How could a company that teaches being empathetic, competent, responsive, and reliable not even operate those principles itself and I mean the entity itself not practicing these principles? Hello? Do individuals a FAVOR do not waste their time and their talent!!!!

Grew up as a community bank - can't be a real commercial bank

Current Employee - Business Service Officer
    Current Employee - Business Service Officer

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Balance is decent, and most people are generally really easy to get along with. Executive management is very personable, and they do come to the regions at least once a year. Benefits are above industry standard and generally speaking there is a lot of people who work really hard.

Cons

Good-ole boy bank, it's who you know if you want to move-up. They are taking a retail approach to commercial business (i.e. scorecards, tick marks, referrals, and micro-managing). Segmentation is very messed up for the sales goals on the commercial side, which is tough to hit your goals unless you hit some wins. Bank is fundamentally controlled by credit - so is pricing. Sometimes conservative in spite of itself, and can't grasp the market competition in the general C&I space. Only place the bank is doing well is in small business lending, specialized credit, and CRE... tough if you are a seasoned C&I banker.

Salary is okay, bonus compensation is crummy at best. If you're new to the bank, negotiate for a high salary because expecting a bonus that is sizable is going to be painful despite hitting goals.

Redefine the commercial segments, let bankers fundamentally do their job and get deals done. Credit folks need to realize we can take some risk with a $190B balance sheet on smaller deals, and on top of that we shouldn't be afraid or syndicate deals and going after $50-100mm credits in large markets. It's time to step up to the plate and stop playing little-league.

Middle-management needs to get over themselves and their titles - but hey, that's banking.

RIF's are getting to be the NORM

Current Employee - Market Leader
    Current Employee - Market Leader

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full benefits for PT employees.
    Holidays, vacation, and birthday's off

Cons

Lots of micro-managing--conference calls, meetings, call nights, reports to complete when management can pull the results themselves.
    Stressful work environment--the impression of never doing enough.
    Sales goals that are unattainable.

After working for BB&T for 25 years, I was notified that my position was being eliminated. I should be angry about this....but strangely enough, my reaction was mostly one of relief. For the past two years, I have not been happy in the role and with the changes that have came along. BB&T has always prided itself on being a values driven company and as an employee, I believed that and felt that from upper management. That has drastically changed within the past two years and is still changing today. There is no recognition for any contributions made, only what else can you do for me? Stressful, horrible place to work! Most people that I know who have left the company have said that they are so much happier now.

Horrible Experience

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

The company is a growing company

Cons

The philosophy is a lie

Support your staff instead of firing them

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get your birthday off

Cons

There are too many to list

Get out in the branches. Your 18 daily emails get deleted by your employees since they are constantly telling you what your not doing right! Instead of "saving money" by cutting employees, why snot you cut the people you pay to tell us what we're doing wrong! Your lack of leadership and support is unreal. Employees are leaving bunch-by-bunch.

BB&T Photos

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!