BJ's Restaurants

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
3.1

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good (in 10 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard and no one will notice outside the restaurant.

Current Employee - Team Member in Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexibility, fun environment, most managers care for the employees. Discount when you are working or when you visit as a guest.

Cons

Very corporate, feels like the corporate leaders do not care about the restaurant employees. White shirts while serving!! No protection serving large parties they do not allow an automatic added gratuity. Health insurance requirements can not be met by the majority of employees. They over work there managers to exhaustion. High expectations but not all the tools are available to meet them. No backbone to guests. People lie and complain to get free items. Too many changes with little notice and roll outs are poorly executed.

Be more understanding of your employees. Protect them with benefits. Allow automatic gratuity on large parties. Stand behind your service even if it costs the company more money. Not fair for someone to work a large party and not be compensated correctly.

Overall good place to work

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Decent compensation if working at a busy location. Easy scheduling. Monthly incentives.

Cons

Staff cut early leaving you with unrealistic section to attend to. 2 table section on weekend evenings due to large staff. Very corporate

Get to know your staff a little more. Control anger around employees.

Great company for the most part.

Current Employee - Manager in Palmdale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Palmdale, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to rise in the ranks is easy. Busy, fast paced.

Cons

Horrible General Manager. Corporate does not care about the many complaints from guests and team members. This man has no business running this restaurant. He fudges his numbers and lies. He never takes reaponsibilty for anything and always places blame. Guests can not stand him and the team members hate him. He bullies his staff and makes threats.

Get rid of the current General Manager and watch Palmdale BJS take off again. It really is a shame to watch this place go slowly under and not have anyone in corporate care enough to rescue it.

It was an ok job

Current Employee - Host in Katy, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Host in Katy, TX (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours, friendly coworkers, good money, easy to understand things

Cons

Horrible management, no overtime, hard to advance, a little short staffed currently

Get it together

It paid the bills

Former Employee - Server in Huntington Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working here was the friendships I made with the guests and coworkers. The scheduling was very flexible so it was good work for those going through college.

Cons

The training program was a bit too fast and the menu is so large that most of the new servers were unprepared. You don't make good money until you get longer shifts and that can take months. The restaurant is neither upscale or casual so you get the worst of both worlds in terms of customers.

I think they have forgotten what has made them stand out and their constant need for change and menu additions proves that. Stop trying to please everyone and improve on the areas you already excel at.

Salinas location is the worst, terrible management

Former Employee - Server in Salinas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Salinas, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice coworkers, new building

Cons

Bad location-- many customers leave little to no tip, so you're making close to minimum wage most of the time. Poor management-- managers play favorites, and are not well trained themselves. Management training program is a joke. Corporate doesn't seem to care if a location has a bad reputation and needs help to improve-- it's all about the profits they see. Responsible employees are forced to close nearly every night of the week, which would be nice if this resulted in more money at the end of the night. It didn't, and instead I had no social life. No upward mobility. Horrible break schedule, resulting in someone potentially ruining your customers' experience or you losing a table. Hard to even eat or drink while on break because of poorly-planned break system. The culture sounds nice based on what is printed on the cards employees have to carry, but it was awful working there. Forget taking vacation while working at BJ's-- I had my vacation approved two months in advance, only to be scheduled to work the entire two weeks of my vacation. Thank goodness my coworkers were eager to pick up shifts to supplement their meager wages...

Plan more before opening new locations-- will your employees be able to make a living wage working there? Also, develop a better management training program. Many managers I saw were cursing at employees, and were very unprofessional. I have seen better management at a mom-and-pop restaurant, and as a corporate chain restaurant BJ's should do better.

Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Menifee, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Menifee, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The money and commission were good.

Cons

They don't have good upper management. A lot of issues that they don't fix.

Good place to get some experience. Hard place to work for.

Its just like reporting to prison for 8 hours a day

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Henrico, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Henrico, VA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, hours flexible, free meal on day you work and discount on off days

Cons

Lock you in building, no break at all. Cant even walk out back for a cig. I was blown away when I learned they were locking us in during our shift

Lossen up, come to reality. Treat your employees badly and they will report you on sites like this one

Good money, iffy managers

Current Employee - Take Out Server in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Take Out Server in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly organized, you get shifts, you get paid. You'll get fed up a lot (and I don't mean with just the irritating guests), but if you can shrug it off overnight, you'll last. If stuff builds and builds for you, it's not the job for you.

Cons

Managers seem to be trained poorly by corporate, so then it makes them bad managers, and then that makes mad employees, and then a lot of people quit. I've seen two waves of high numbers of people quitting at once because of management. We are still currently understaffed at my location, and it's been this way since April..

You need to give positive feedback too, if all we hear is negative, you have people turning away. And that is what's happening. I've stuck around because of the flexibility in time/hours, money and some of my coworkers. And my current GM is great, but doesn't have great support from the lower management.

Has a great atmosphere and plays great up-to-date music you van enjoy while eating.

Current Employee - Food Server in Corpus Christi, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Food Server in Corpus Christi, TX (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great music and atmosphere overall

Cons

To many employees, Not enough hours. Some people have to work food runner shifts were you barely make minimum wage. You work harder then the servers and get paid less

Free Food for the food runners so its at least bearable