BJ's Restaurants Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014
Updated 29 August 2014

3.2

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good (in 9 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time

Pros

Works with school schedule and make great tips

Cons

Large menu that you have to know all of it

Work load is heavy but it is enjoyable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge growth opportunities, new restaurant openings throughout the country. The future is very bright. The pay is higher then most in the industry

Cons

Late hours, heavy work load. The pizza slash sports bar style restaurant creates some late and long hours. Once you get that part down it is great!

Very flexible schedule and fun to work with

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Good money
    Fun staff
    Hotschedule scheduling system is legit

Cons

Lower income guests who don't tip at times

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New style of casual dining and a fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Server  in  Lewisville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Lewisville, TX (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has provided me with a challenging work environment as well as job stability throughout the years I've dedicated to it.

Cons

The fast paced work environment can take a physical toll after time. Additionally, the potential turn over rate can make team building a challenge.

The management staff should not change around restaurants as often.

Bj's Brewhouse is an excellent stepping stone for those that want to continue their career as a server.

Current Employee - Food Server  in  Tukwila, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Food Server in Tukwila, WA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about working for BJ's Restaurants is the flexibility in schedules. I often work from 5pm to 1am. Lots of room for growth within the company.

Cons

Some of the challenges with working for the company are the benefits and sometimes seasonal hours. You can work many hours during the Summer and Winter months.

I know this is a challenging opportunity for all management and I am very impressed with all management.

Great place to work, good food, good beer, good cocktails

Current Employee - FOH  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - FOH in Chandler, AZ (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team atmosphere, mAnahement team is good and works hard.

Cons

Lot of things to remember, very corporate, do not hire the brightest people which unfortunately explains why people complain about the service.

Hire more talented individuals to keep people coming in the door, mainly in FOH. Or you could just fire those who suck.

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Food Server
    Current Employee - Food Server

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time

Pros

discounts
    free training meal
    its a job

Cons

poor training. poor management ommunication

Communicatioon & Respect

Get it together

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great supportive environment,high energy,great food,lots of employee appreciation events,hot schedules is a godsend!

Cons

unfair hour distribution,disorganization,lazy coworkers,managers allowing certain people to get away with safety rules.

Distribute the hours more fairly among your staff! it doesn't make sense for a host with a wide open schedule to work 2 days a week while someone who is in take out or is a server works 4 days a week serving + 2 shifts as a host. also, why hire more and more hosts when you can barely give hours to the ones that you already have?

consistency would make things a lot easier. it is very frustrating for one person to train you on how to do something and then someone else turns around and tells you that what you learned is completely wrong,then someone else comes and yells at you for making a huge mistake when two other experienced team members taught you how to do it that way.

I would rate Bj's originally as an excellent employer, but it has steadily gone down hill with corporate policy's

Current Employee - Bartender  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Bartender in Chandler, AZ (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I think that Bj's offers excellent flexibility and opportunity to make money. If you are a capable server or bartender you have definite opportunity to make money.

Cons

Very corporate and overall feeling that you are very replaceable and not important. Management is over worked and seems very frustrated with polices coming down to them. The overall feelings are stressful and not very fun.

Upper management needs to adjust their tactics for success. They are not encouraging and treat almost all staff as if they are replaceable and not needed. They need to create a better work environment and stop making every decision based off of stock price or analyst notes about company.

Nice place, great people, too many managers.

Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer  in  Springdale, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer in Springdale, OH (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. The money. 2. The people. 3. The food. I made great money to support my family. I had great co-workers that I maintain contact with for the most part. Their food is great! Standard benefits package was nice. I do not know if they still have it but it was free as long as I worked a minimum of 33 hours and signed up for it!

Cons

Somewhat unsteady shifts. Angry guests. In the first three years went through four general managers alone. Corporate brought in a manager from outside instead of internally. Eventually the manager who should have been promoted was.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!