BKD Reviews

Updated 12 October 2014
3.5

BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman

Pros
  • They often promote from within so there are many opportunities for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• I've gotten experience at various companies and have learned a lot about accounting in general (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours are hard to deal with during busy season (in 7 reviews)

• long hours during the summer in particular industries (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn and start career

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at BKD as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had a great experience learning from a variety of people and exposure to multiple projects. The hours were not too bad, but full time seemed to work very long. Office culture is great and the people are nice.

Cons

Longer hours as a full time associate seemed to be pretty demanding for a mid tier firm. The salary offer was low compared to smaller firms or same size firms.

May want to look towards better compensation for new hires. Smaller firms offer better pay.

Good place to work

I have been working at BKD

Pros

Good midsize audit firm, enjoy my experience

Cons

Their comp is below market.

Professional atmosphere, great people.

Former Employee - Tax
    Former Employee - Tax

I worked at BKD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are intelligent, hard-working and highly motivated from partner level to support staff. They are willing to give you a chance to demonstrate what you can do and are committed to developing and retaining talent. They offer some work schedule flexibility. For example, employees can purchase additional PTOs, and, depending on the circumstances, can negotiate reduced-hour schedules.

Cons

Busy season can be grueling -- long hours and stressful. (I consider this par for the course in public accounting.) To be successful, you will need to be very committed to your career.

Staff Accountant

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at BKD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BKD offers opportunities for advancement and experience that translates to a variety of future career opportunities. On the audit team, you are usually going to the office of a different client every week, so the job is never monotonous.

Cons

The cons are the hours, the demanding nature of the work environment, awful communication, bad benefits, travel, and working saturdays during busy season.

Need to learn how to communicate much better and take more control of the culture of the company.

Typical Public Accounting Firm

I have been working at BKD full-time

Pros

Good way to gain exposure in different industries (variety depends on which office you work in); Becker CPA review is paid for (be financially prepared to test in every open testing window until you pass all 4 sections); learn a great deal during your first year....

Cons

Work a lot of hours during busy season (work/life balance could be improved); upper management has favorites; lots of "constructive criticism"; compensation could be higher

Its all about Efficiency

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at BKD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were on-par with the industry, nothing notable to claim. You get more PTO where the catch is you can use it during busy season but If you do, be prepared for the ramifications of your work ethic being called into question.

Cons

Their post employment dialogue is terrible. A prospective federal employer of mine is having some issues getting employment confirmation with my previous supervisor's due to 'company policy' stating they don't provide information in that nature.This is strange- it shouldn't be difficult for a previous in charge/supervisor to acknowledge one's contributions within the company as they look for opportunities outside the company.
    Audit technology is below what i consider average. No internet connection = cumbersome audits
    Some clients you engage with on their site place you in interesting positions. We'll leave it at that-not much can be done there.

Be more open about the expectations of employees and how they can work smarter, and not harder. Too much linear thinking in a linear industry makes an occupation stagnant in ways pay can't cover. A good dose of "what do you think, x?" mentality always helps more then "Here's what I think, and what you will do".

quite company

Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at BKD as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

the best part of working there to me was the experience i gained.

Cons

the worst was the work environment it was very quite and i didn't see or have to much interaction with others

Wonderful learning environment

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at BKD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone at BKD is very encouraging and supportive of new staff. There are a multitude of opportunities in a variety of industries. Growth at the Springfield office moves at a quicker rate than other BKD offices and staff are thrust into situations that they normally would not fill until the 2 year mark around the one year mark. Audit associates will travel and experience working as a team for a series of weeks.

Cons

The travel is more than I initially expected. In my first year, I was out of town over 100 nights. This does not include commuting jobs. Overall, I realized the travel does not enable me to live the active lifestyle that I enjoy to keep me at my fullest, and am seeking an opportunity in a career with little to no travel.

Hiring more people out of college has been a help. Unfortunately, the location of the office and the location of the clients is not something that can change. Management is very supportive of growth and transition within BKD and will work to help you be at your best. I truly enjoy working with each and every one of my supervisors and achieving unmatched client service.

No respect

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at BKD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot over the years

Cons

No care for hard workers, no ability to fire those that don't do their work. No respect for anyone who's been around awhile. Pay is terrible

Come into this century and pay your people. You might keep your A players.

Run the opposite direction!!!

I worked at BKD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work in multiple industries with small to medium sized clients

Cons

Poor, short-sighted management and little respect for experienced hires

Join the 21st century!