BT

BT Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros:
  • "Best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, you may get leave but will be working on vacation also"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior management too accountant-heavy meaning the focus is on costs and not revenue"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Company longevity foot in the door

ConsConstant change causes the merry go round effect

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your staff informed

global giant

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 3 years

Prosglobal giant, leader in its area

Constoo much complexity and bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementmore focus on speed of execution

Great learning opportunities

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to start your career in enterprise networking. Very knowledgeable staff and willing to teach newbies. Great management team that always looks out for their employees, as long as they are willing to put in the work.

ConsNo real upward mobility. Easy to start stagnating if you're not motivated or ambitious.

I'm working as R&D Supervisor. My work is to do trial of new machine / process and also some side jobs.

Supervisor Research and Development (Current Employee)
Tangerang (Indonesia)

I have been working at BT full-time for less than a year

ProsCocoa is one the most valuable commodities in Indonesia. Therefore, the cocoa business is really promising. Meanwhile, Cacao processing in Indonesia is still rare, so there are only a few competitors. And this company is recognized as one of Nestle's Partnership.

ConsI don't have any difficulties at work or job desk, but there are some challenging things here and most of them are managements, Managing people and time. Example: If I want to take samples for my R&D archive, I should ask operator, because production is always running even at midnight. I usually give them some label format to recognize my own sample. So, the sample will not lost and can be tracked.

Meanwhile, Managing time is difficult while you haven't done your current work, and you suddenly, have a new work to do. Usually, I ask the manager what is the most urgent, and see the time what can I do first. Example: there are 3 works that has been assigned at the same time range. Daily GMP verification, production trial, and check the different between 2 process. Production trial starts at 3:00 PM, and the most urgent. Mean while, I can handle the 2 jobs before doing the trial. Well, I have to work overtime if the trial starts at 3:00 PM, but I have no choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to admit that most of the time, your company always chase on the target. You still have to take care of employee's life. Please be more concern about your employee because they're doing it not for themselves, but also your company.

Fair

Head of Strategy (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than a year

ProsHonest genuine management focused on growing the company and creating a healthy organisation. Very good long term investments in place

ConsVery hard to get promoted and an obsession on 'deliverables'. You end up working very long hours to get a fair chance at a promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and motivation

Good but all depends on how lucky you sre with the team you end up in & too political

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people
Good opportunity to train thanks to online courses.

Cons# political,
# moving the goal post
# find any excuse not to give you what you deserve
# Poor moral
# Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment
# Way too many arrogant people with big egos lucky humility.
# Same corporate spill dressed up in a new name every year.
# Massive disconnect between managers and low level workers
# Luck of the drew depending on team. Same level of work yields totally different rating in different teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementList to people and change the way performance management works, every three months is overkill and hinders moral.

career progression

Strategy Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork - life balance; nice people

Conslow salary and strict policy on reward and promotions

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more into growing people internally and retain talents

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT

ProsBenefits, Some good people, Nothing

ConsNot concerned about employees
Poor moral

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Overall great company to work for, though it does have its ups and downs

Head of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBroad range of opportunities, variety, range of business activities, range of customers of all shapes and sizes, staff development, many of the people, flexible working policies. When the business does focus on a specific objective, it is good at motivating its people to achieve that and miracles can happen.

ConsInternal politics is a strong negative. The legacy of public service culture, whilst there are many opportunities, it is not as easy as you might think to access them and move across the company. Often seems very bureaucratic and slow, it is a very large company. Frequent reorganisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and supporting your people to deliver and not on internal politics and building fiefdoms.

BT Americas, Inc is a great company to work for.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than a year

ProsFor a large company regulated company, they get how to do business. They treat their employees with respect and compensate them above the market rate.

ConsThey are limited in network product offerings as North America is not built out at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do not have the sales resources to bring in the many opportunities in certain areas of the country.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BT CEO Ian Livingston. All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by BT employees.