Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros:
  • "Long standing oil tools company with good benefits"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Positive culture, freedom to be ethical in dealings, good work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not enough time at home, not a good work-life balance at all"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper Management is being told what sounds good not what is really going on"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Baker Hughes is an excellent place to work.

Field Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has a very good work environment. Numerous learning opportunities throughout the career and a lot of global exposure to the industry.

ConsIt can sometimes be a little beaureaucratic because of its size. Also, promotions and individual growth may be slow unless ones works really hard on that. It is easy to get stuck doing the same job for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual performance review is a farce and not at at all tied to either performance or benefits.

Satisfying, professional, a company you can work for a lifetime.

Geoscientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMaintains a very manageable workforce, not too much so that the company does not need to reduce manpower at trouble times. Work place generally has a small group which works more like a family. Have strong ethical business principles and completely complaint.

ConsLocal management is not strong in many cases. Weak personnel team. Career guidelines not very well defined for all roles in local offices. Management most of the times focuses only on operations not on the data evaluation and interpretation market.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire proper personnel (HR) managers, with proper knowledge of Oil and Gas business. Management should define and respect the career guidelines of all technical personnels.

Good training ground, nice culture

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
Mumbai

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional development, High tech products, Client focus, Best in class services, Good industry reputation

ConsInconsistent management, Poor performance review process, Lot of changes to the trainee program.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttract better talent.

A People oriented Company

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work culture, Good Teamwork and flexibily for working style.The Managers are understanding and allow subordinates to work freely with minimum supervision.This allows employees to have a good work-home balance.

ConsSlow and undefined career path.Although the company is a great place to work, it can get a bit slow and stagnant sometimes.It gets undefined after a certain point of time and people look for more challenging oppotunities.

Great place for growth..

Product Line Manager (Current Employee)
Moscow (Russia)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent for education, international experience and opportunities

ConsLarge company sometimes does not move as quickly as smaller competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focused and described strategic leadership

Field Engineer

Field Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time

ProsGood Company, Always looking for new technology

ConsBenefits, Employees get paid well

constant change

Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

Prosthere are lots of smart people, they have great benefits/salary, and many people stay with the company for a very long time.

ConsThere are constant changes in organizations, management, policies, etc. These make it hard to keep up and make it seem like you are often spinning your wheels.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy and go with it. Give it time to succeed or fail before changing everything. Also it would be helpful if leaders would stay in their same jobs longer. Everyone is so concerned with reaching the next "step" or level in their career that they don't consider the effect their moving around has on the organizations they are leading.

Very satisfied until I got laid off.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation and paid tuition.

ConsFrom what I understand, good help is hard to find. I was doing an excellent job, but I still got laid off.

BHI

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSeems genuine in their desire to be technology leaders and being "completely compliant" with their values, willing to be flexible with schedules if you're perceived to be good at your job, fairly good job security (for a service company!) without a "hire and fire" HR environment

ConsThere is a great deal of management inertia, so its hard to institute positive changes or projects, and dead weight and/or bad policies stick around longer than they should. At the enterprise level, it seems like they're restructuring the company every few years, which adds considerably confusion to the day-to-day work. Compensation could certainly be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to mimic the SLB model of doing business, as it doesn't mesh well with the BHI employee culture. Stop hiring MBAs to make corporate decisions and instead try and figure out what aspects of the rank and file deserve investment to ensure long term success.

First Class Organization

Field Engineer (Current Employee)
Libreville (Gabon)

I have been working at Baker Hughes as an intern for less than a year

ProsBaker Hughes is a first class organization. You deal every day with great professional. You learn a lot and the company takes a good care of its people and makes you bring your A game at work every single day.

ConsOne of the most challenges is that you have to stay on top of your game all the time cause you every day is a different day.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Baker Hughes CEO Martin Craighead. All 529 reviews are posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees.