Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
3.5

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Company takes very good care of employees, offering excellent benefits and a good work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits pay could be better, oppurtunities good and work with a good team (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

It is the best place to work..for talented ones..

Current Employee - Field Specialist in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Field Specialist in Mumbai

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Great company values
    - Safety for women
    -Great work profile
    -International company with a strong business establishment when compared to other blue and red competitiors
    - rotational basis job
    - it is a pride to work in a huge invention oriented company

Cons

- Very strict work environment

The best! Keep it up!

Baker Hughes is an excellent place to work.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Mumbai

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a very good work environment. Numerous learning opportunities throughout the career and a lot of global exposure to the industry.

Cons

It can sometimes be a little beaureaucratic because of its size. Also, promotions and individual growth may be slow unless ones works really hard on that. It is easy to get stuck doing the same job for many years.

Annual performance review is a farce and not at at all tied to either performance or benefits.

Satisfying, professional, a company you can work for a lifetime.

Current Employee - Geoscientist in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Geoscientist in Mumbai

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Maintains a very manageable workforce, not too much so that the company does not need to reduce manpower at trouble times. Work place generally has a small group which works more like a family. Have strong ethical business principles and completely complaint.

Cons

Local management is not strong in many cases. Weak personnel team. Career guidelines not very well defined for all roles in local offices. Management most of the times focuses only on operations not on the data evaluation and interpretation market.

Need to hire proper personnel (HR) managers, with proper knowledge of Oil and Gas business. Management should define and respect the career guidelines of all technical personnels.

Good training ground, nice culture

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Mumbai

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional development, High tech products, Client focus, Best in class services, Good industry reputation

Cons

Inconsistent management, Poor performance review process, Lot of changes to the trainee program.

Attract better talent.

A People oriented Company

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Mumbai
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Mumbai

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture, Good Teamwork and flexibily for working style.The Managers are understanding and allow subordinates to work freely with minimum supervision.This allows employees to have a good work-home balance.

Cons

Slow and undefined career path.Although the company is a great place to work, it can get a bit slow and stagnant sometimes.It gets undefined after a certain point of time and people look for more challenging oppotunities.

Great benefits package overall. Highly structured company

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Baker Hughes offers really good benefits package.

Cons

They don't offer much time off, very conservative mentality and working culture

Great learning experience with amazing employees and opportunities.

Former Employee - RDD Engineer V - Mechanical Engineer in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I worked at Baker Hughes as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Although it's a large company, I felt comfortable reaching out to others for help and insight. I knew nothing about the oil industry before my internship and came out after 3 months with a wealth of knowledge not only about the area I was working with, but the industry as a whole.

Cons

The only con was that it took over 5 months to get back to me after my interview that I had received a job offer.

Great company

Current Employee - FP&A Analyst
    Current Employee - FP&A Analyst

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like working here and the people have always been great and supportive

Cons

As with any corporate company, there is politics

Some yes and no, but overall the best mud logging offshore company to work for!

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time

Pros

Great Salary, Great offshore accumulation of days, great perks health insurance, hotels, gas mileage etc

Cons

Favoritism from Management, Unfair distribution of job duties and special roles, operator and rig assignments etc
    And don't ever fail a class... you'll be down the line first runner up to be laid off or terminated for "job performance".

Stop with the favoritism and ass-kissing ...each employee is just as good as the other and people deserve to be rotated equally not based on who are gym partners outside of work or have social relations outside of work ..

Great benefits, competitive compensation, the work experience varies with the area you're working in.

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Mill Hall, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Mill Hall, PA (US)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. One man per hotel room (in the Marcellus).

Cons

Eagle Ford frac is lopsided in the safety vs. production ration. Emphasis heavy on production over all else. Negotiated starting pay is what you had better be satisfied with for years. The career development program is non-existent. Taking online classes for advancement is not difficult. Getting them to perform a competency assessment in the field is near impossible. The few I met who got field competency assessments done did not see an increase in pay for a year in some cases. Lost paperwork, updating in the system, etc.

Pay closer attention developing employees so that you can retain better trained, motivated employees.