Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable(in 18 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees(in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions(in 21 reviews)

Baker Hughes is an excellent place to work.

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsThe company has a very good work environment. Numerous learning opportunities throughout the career and a lot of global exposure to the industry.

ConsIt can sometimes be a little beaureaucratic because of its size. Also, promotions and individual growth may be slow unless ones works really hard on that. It is easy to get stuck doing the same job for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual performance review is a farce and not at at all tied to either performance or benefits.

Satisfying, professional, a company you can work for a lifetime.

Geoscientist (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsMaintains a very manageable workforce, not too much so that the company does not need to reduce manpower at trouble times. Work place generally has a small group which works more like a family. Have strong ethical business principles and completely complaint.

ConsLocal management is not strong in many cases. Weak personnel team. Career guidelines not very well defined for all roles in local offices. Management most of the times focuses only on operations not on the data evaluation and interpretation market.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire proper personnel (HR) managers, with proper knowledge of Oil and Gas business. Management should define and respect the career guidelines of all technical personnels.

Good training ground, nice culture

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsProfessional development, High tech products, Client focus, Best in class services, Good industry reputation

ConsInconsistent management, Poor performance review process, Lot of changes to the trainee program.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttract better talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A People oriented Company

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsGreat work culture, Good Teamwork and flexibily for working style.The Managers are understanding and allow subordinates to work freely with minimum supervision.This allows employees to have a good work-home balance.

ConsSlow and undefined career path.Although the company is a great place to work, it can get a bit slow and stagnant sometimes.It gets undefined after a certain point of time and people look for more challenging oppotunities.

Happy with career so far.

ProsGood career development opportunities especially for technical and operations personnel. World class training programmes. Technology and innovation driven. Opportunities to take on roles in different areas; e.g. from field operations to Human resource or supply chain. Great colleagues who are energetic, competent and helpful. Senior management tries to live out the company values.

ConsImpact of recent reorganisation still being felt in certain segments. Promotions can be slow, especially for those who are not 'well connected' within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the renewed focus on people management so as to enhance retention.

Great place to start in the oilfied.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsOpportunities for training and advancement are plentiful. Engineers are valued.

ConsMay have to start in the field and that can be grueling. Difficult to maintain a work-life balance initially while you are getting experience.

High-paced, Diverse environment

Facilities Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexibility, many projects, good way to market oneself

ConsSometimes impossible to please customers, hectic work

Great pay and benefits, difficult culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe in place systems work well. Pay and benefits are above average. Nice work environment.

ConsCorporate culture is often difficult. They hire management from the outside.

A time full of training and exposure to multiple disciplines.

Geoscientist (Current Employee) Midland, TX (US)

ProsBaker takes care of its own and does it's best to stay involved with your progression.

ConsAs with any big company things tend to move slower than you would prefer at times.

Baker Hughes is a great company

Data Engineer (Current Employee) Pos, West Java (Indonesia)

Pros- Invest heavily on training and employee development
    - Job security
    - Open door policy

Cons- Wages could be a bit more

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!