Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable (in 19 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Baker Hughes is an excellent place to work.

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsThe company has a very good work environment. Numerous learning opportunities throughout the career and a lot of global exposure to the industry.

ConsIt can sometimes be a little beaureaucratic because of its size. Also, promotions and individual growth may be slow unless ones works really hard on that. It is easy to get stuck doing the same job for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual performance review is a farce and not at at all tied to either performance or benefits.

Satisfying, professional, a company you can work for a lifetime.

Geoscientist (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsMaintains a very manageable workforce, not too much so that the company does not need to reduce manpower at trouble times. Work place generally has a small group which works more like a family. Have strong ethical business principles and completely complaint.

ConsLocal management is not strong in many cases. Weak personnel team. Career guidelines not very well defined for all roles in local offices. Management most of the times focuses only on operations not on the data evaluation and interpretation market.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire proper personnel (HR) managers, with proper knowledge of Oil and Gas business. Management should define and respect the career guidelines of all technical personnels.

Good training ground, nice culture

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsProfessional development, High tech products, Client focus, Best in class services, Good industry reputation

ConsInconsistent management, Poor performance review process, Lot of changes to the trainee program.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttract better talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A People oriented Company

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsGreat work culture, Good Teamwork and flexibily for working style.The Managers are understanding and allow subordinates to work freely with minimum supervision.This allows employees to have a good work-home balance.

ConsSlow and undefined career path.Although the company is a great place to work, it can get a bit slow and stagnant sometimes.It gets undefined after a certain point of time and people look for more challenging oppotunities.

summer intern

Intern (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Prosa very good place to develop your career. Positive environment with plenty of energy and team work. Able to demonstrate skills and be rewarded accordingly.

ConsThe environment was stressful obviously. But the pros outweighs the cons, so this is definitely a place to stay if got an offer

Great opportunities available for those who apply themselves

Wireline Operator (Current Employee) Midland, TX (US)

ProsGreat benefits, laid back atmosphere. you can make a lot of money. Co-workers have been very helpful. Very safe environment, up to date equipment and tools. All clothing and boots provided, so minimal out of pocket expense to start.

ConsLong hours sometimes, but with overtime pay it where you make the money. lack of direction sometimes, when I started my manager went on vacation, so this probably is an isolated case. sometimes jobs run into your days off which is a bummer.

Great solid company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat company, long history, solid technology and great people

ConsThe area is expensive for living

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparent

Baker Hughes provides a lot of support and specific training needed to do your job.

Field Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training, great benefits, great people on the ground. Good first step to getting into the oilfield, and possibly a long career with the same company. GOM has some quality people working in it, managers attempt to uphold a schedule for field hands that many other districts do not get.

ConsVery middle/top heavy. Seems like a new position is added every week, and no extra support is needed in some of those departments. People making decisions that affect the "core" workers where they have no first hand experience or care to ask for input and results are sometimes detrimental to the operations carried out or loss of good quality hands.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything I said in "Cons"

Great team in Imports

Supply Chain Professional (Former Employee) Tomball, TX (US)

ProsManager very approachable, great team work, good support system. Good work Life balance in my department. I miss being there.

ConsA bit political sometimes..Alot of the "O&G Good ole Boys" still around. Profits shared among management so the first year no bonus from Grade 10 and lower.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who is doing all the work.

Happy with career so far.

ProsGood career development opportunities especially for technical and operations personnel. World class training programmes. Technology and innovation driven. Opportunities to take on roles in different areas; e.g. from field operations to Human resource or supply chain. Great colleagues who are energetic, competent and helpful. Senior management tries to live out the company values.

ConsImpact of recent reorganisation still being felt in certain segments. Promotions can be slow, especially for those who are not 'well connected' within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the renewed focus on people management so as to enhance retention.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!