Ball Corporation Reviews

3.6

Ball Corporation President, CEO, and Director John A. Hayes
John A. Hayes

Not bad, not great.

I worked at Ball Corporation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Well funded, semi organized, stable business model as long as beer is being sold.

Cons

Poor MARCOM vision, typically painful IT constraints and lack of leadership

Beware don't believe other reviews…

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very stable company with a long history of over 125 years. Great compensation and office buildings. The company has great benefits, most of the employees )are great, world class manufacturing facilities.

Cons

The company has no real corporate culture, but is trying to hang on to the culture of the past family management. There has been a great deal of turn over at the corporate offices in Colorado. The company is dominated by white males, thus very little diversity. Diversity is only a show, the Aerospace division is an exception to this rule.

The company is very fragmented, while some divisions are running well, the largest division in USA and Canada is not the place to be in. Most of the executive management in this division are new with big echos. They are more focused on changing employee base than real strategy. The finance area is the most concerning, and the entire department has turned over. The division finance and administration management are creating and seems to thrive on operating with a very unhealthy culture.  If you don't agree with management you will be fired, thus most management is new and entire departments are having high turn over in the rank and file over the last 2 years.

There is too much politics within the division, that coupled with executive management favoritism and upward mobility is not possible. You can only move around if a few in management like you. There is little or no employee development and engagement, it appears division management is basically carrying out employee cleansing, based on a private agenda.

Pay attention to what's happening to your largest division, it's management, culture and employee moral. If you don't act now this division under current management will destroy this great company from within.

Pressman/Coater Operator

Former Employee - Pressman/Coater Operator in Elgin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Pressman/Coater Operator in Elgin, IL (US)

I worked at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good wages,good people to work with.

Cons

Management did not know anything about printing that's why they closed the plant!!!!!

Hire management that knows whats going on!!!!!!!!

Company used to be much better under old management.

I worked at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and head office benefits.

Cons

Poor management at both head office and at the plants.

Very Generous Company

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ball offers a very generous compensation and benefits package. The company provides ample development opportunities for those who are willing to put in the work. Ball is very generous in its charitable giving in the communities where it operates. The company has been around a long time and is built on a history of success. There is very low turnover at the company which speaks highly of the culture.

Cons

A large company where underperformers can get lost. It's low turnover can also be seen as a negative in that ideas and policies remain a bit stagnant over time.

None, keep up the good work.

One of the best companies in the USA

Current Employee - Industrial Electrician in North Tampa Heights, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Electrician in North Tampa Heights, FL (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good wages. Heavy emphasis on Safety. Production work is four days on four days off, 12 hours a day 6 to 6. Ball has many operations all over the world, to include Aerospace.

Cons

High noise level. Monthly rotating shifts from days to nights. Very hot on the production floor. It IS Florida! This information applies to the Tampa plant only.

Keep turnover to a minimum.

a great co-op experience

I worked at Ball Corporation as an intern

Pros

I really enjoyed working here. There was a lot of work and business travel for an engineering co-op, a lot more than I expected I would do. I liked the engineer I reported to because he would explain what he wanted done and then let me go work on it until it needed approval or until I had a question. Also, the general atmosphere was great and everyone was very nice.

Cons

There really were no cons because it was a great experience for an engineer still in school and allowed me to learn a lot.

Great COOP experience

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Horsham, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Horsham, PA (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Got to learn a lot about the engineering side of the company
    Got to learn a lot about management

Cons

The experience gotten out of the COOP is relative to how much you want to learn. This means if you try hard you will get a lot of good experience, if not you will end up not learning much and wasting your time.

N/A

Excellent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, like the direction we are heading

Cons

Sometimes seemed like we did not want to make changes

Keep on the same track we are on, love the communcation we are now seeing

Purchaser and closer of productive and profitable beverage can plants

Former Employee - Production Associate
    Former Employee - Production Associate

I worked at Ball Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Wages and Benefits/Pension (all thanks to Collective Bargaining Agreement in place at time plant was purchased)

Cons

Plant purchased in 2009 by Ball Corporation. Senior management came in with the promise of a long career for us all, very impressed with our facility in every way, they even stated that they "wanted our children and grand-children to work there"...all untrue! No real investment in the plant, no real exchange of personnel from other Ball facilities to help integrate culture. They cutback on scheduled maintenance almost immediately and laid off 48 people at end of 2011, than they announced the following year that our facility would be closing permanently at the end of 2012. They are a union-busting company, they're subtle about it, they do it quietly and legally as the previous four beverage can plants that they closed (counting us) were unionized. Dispersed our volume to other facilities. Utililize inexperienced workers from temporary services. If they buy your plant be very wary especially if unionized and update your resume, start looking for a new job and saving your money.

Stop closing can plants and contributing to the loss of family-supportive middle-class jobs in this economy.