Banana Republic

Updated 23 October 2014
3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 106 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • Management heavily pushes the credit card because they have a quota too meet for each day (in 96 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Experience

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is fun to work with. Everyone works together to reach the goals for the store. It Feels like a big family. You do get bonuses when you get people to sign up for the brand credit card. You also get bonuses if the store hits its threshold. You get a review every 6 months with a potential raise. Very good resume builder for other jobs in the future. Also good pay for being in retail, it beats working at other stores around it. You earn your hours.

Cons

Obviously dealing with difficult customers but you will find that everywhere you can't avoid it.

5 years on and off

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, the discount is great. It is fun working for a company that is on-trend but also is effortlessly Classic.

Cons

Working retail in a mall setting has its obvious challenges- when it's busy, it's BUSY. People get crazy in the malls especially nearing the holidays. But it comes with the territory.

Get to know the workings of your individual stores

Great Experience.

Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co workers, lots of fun and amazing product. I always felt that upper management was fully supportive of my career progression and development. The culture at Gap inc. is so positive and motivating.

Cons

Nature of constantly changing sales, merchandise, coupons seemed a bit reactive. Constant visual overhaul with minimal payroll. They do not pay part time associates well.

I enjoyed my time at Banana Republic, thank you for a great work environment.

Great Company, Starting pay isn't that great.

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Hanover, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Hanover, MD (US)

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty much everything! The overall company is relaxed (the Factory Store).

Cons

Customers can be very condescending, but that is retail for you! I am defintely underpaid unfortunately. (9.75)

They all are good for the most part. Working with your schedule is big on their to-do list. I've worked at two locations and was very satisfied by the way the employees are treated!

High quality product; good people

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

Positive atmosphere, high quality stores, employee discount throughout the chain.

Cons

Weekly schedule provided a few days in advance so hard to plan far ahead as a PT employee

love working here!

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

50% discount at gap, banana and old navy
    $9 hour
    hire at 16

Cons

no discount at athlete piperlime or intermix

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Costumer Service in Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Costumer Service in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers are all super chill and easy going. Get generous discounts at all Gap Inc. Stores. And Very flexible with hours (:

Cons

People are can be very messy and leave cloths balled up or on the floor

Had a great experience

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good management
    -Good training
    -Discount is decent
    -Excellent work environment

Cons

-Selling the Banana Republic card

I left Banana because of one of the managers because they were cutting hours but overall I had a great experience with all the other managers. I think it depends on people's personalities. They were always professional and kind.

My first real job after my senior year of high school and before my freshman year of college

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good first job, employee discount of 50%, Taught me to be professional, One of the better retail pace to work, Easy work

Cons

Low pay, Bad customers, Not an intellectually demanding or interesting job, Looked down upon because I was a lot younger than the managers and customers

The week long training program was extremely boring

Worked part-time for almost 2 years.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of training and classes to keep staff informed and doing the best job possible. Good pay, corporate just instituted a new minimum wage for part-time associates, $10/hr effective summer 2015. They also try to promote from within before hiring from outside the store. Staff and managers are really fun. Leadership maintain a good balance of being friendly and casual and also maintaining authority. Management is always looking for employee feedback, and they take it seriously. They are quick to acknowledge good work, and reward you for it. They often do nice things for the employees like cooking or catering for the store, especially on holidays. My store had parties or gatherings fairly often after the store closed, maybe once a month or so. The company is also very community-involved. There was always some drive to contribute to, whether it be money, food, books, school supplies, and there were plenty of opportunities to volunteer somewhere as a group. Overall it was a great place to work, I really loved it there.

Cons

on-call shifts. It's hard to make plans when you're not sure if you'll be working or not.