Banana Republic

Updated 17 August 2014

3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 87 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Seasonal hell

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

Pros

30% discount, fun co-workers and supervisors, meeting celebrities, easy access to transportation, shops, and restaurants. I worked at the Rockefeller Center location, so it was really busy and I met so many people and got lots of tips from tourists, just for being sweet.

Cons

Epic disorganization, uncooperative management, horrible scheduling, favoritism, putting the "skinnier" employees out front or giving them cushier assignments, blatant mistreatment of seasonal employees.

Yes, I know I'm seasonal, but give me a break! The more support I can get from you, the better the output! Duh.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Locust Grove, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Locust Grove, GA (US)

Pros

Great team awesome experience and sometime flexible hours

Cons

Horrible part time hours. Needs staff other than kids in high school.

Work with team as much as possible.

Great field team, but not enough support from corporate.

Former Employee - Merchandise Presentation Lead  in  Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Presentation Lead in Durham, NC (US)

Pros

They do promote within which is good, and the benefits and compensation are decent. Also, the discount is pretty generous.

Cons

The training for any management position is VERY lackluster, and there is not a good work-life balance. Work duties are often blurred so it makes it very difficult to ensure you're actually doing your job.

Be consistent with communication and more realistic with deadlines and workloads.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay College Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Century City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA (US)

Pros

Fun environment great discount

Cons

Only high end retail store with no real money making incentive. Everything else is terrible, they never give full time work so they dont have to give you benefits. They over work their employees. Make you work 2 hour shifts, managers dont respect employees will close store early if sales are low and not pay, when your a college students a 2 hour shift is basically an insult. My store had 80 part time employees just so the company would not have to hire 15 full time employees. Crappy Pay.

You obviously make great money pass some incentives and bonuses to your employees

Great looking clothes and classy but very boring

Pros

Meeting some interesting customers and the discounts

Cons

very boring especially when there is no customers.

Assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Good benefits and discount. A lot of opportunities within the company. The company is very involved with volunteering in the community.

Cons

Work life balance is terrible. The company is constantly changing direction. Way too many promotions that constantly change, frustrates the customers.

Enough with the constant promos. Produce a quality product and stand behind it.

hate

Pros

they gave us food for holidays

Cons

irregular hours and kept us really late

Not much room for improvement

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wrentham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA (US)

Pros

My managers were incredibly nice, and took my schedule into account for a certain amount of time. The discount is EXCELLENT which is a huge perk. I loved interacting with customers. The nicer you are to them, the nicer they are to you. My managers were available to handle any issues that came up. The store was very close (sometimes it felt as if managers played favorites).

Cons

The only type of recognition that you got would be your name on a board in the lounge. Even though they took my schedule into consideration, certain managers were only flexible with me for a little while. When other obligations came up and my schedule conflicted, they didn't give a realistic way to accommodate me. (Ex. I ask for a day off because of a competition, and they would schedule me for that day, and tell me to find coverage). Pay isn't great. Selling credit cards (which have horrible interest rates etc.) to customers feels bad.

The employees need to be educated about the opportunities to advance. They need to know about the many programs offered. Sometimes it feels as if management is only interacting with employees when something bad goes on, instead of to reinforce the good. I don't like rewards based on contests and things that like, because there are too many random variables in place. We should be compensated more, because there is a bit of knowledge associated with the job.

OKAY COMPANY..

Current Employee - Banana Republic, Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Banana Republic, Sales Associate

Pros

-Flexible
    -Fun
    I really cant think of anything else....

Cons

-Bad Management
    -Low Pay
    -Disorganized

Can think of anything else

Store Environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Professional, wealthy and kind people come in to shop. They're usually very easy to deal with and have a lot to offer, even opportunities elsewhere. Some of my customers loved me so much they contacted me outside of work about some things they were working on.

Cons

Regular retail or on the job stuff: co-workers are annoying, bosses are annoying.

Also, dress code was really annoying. you had to dress like you were going to an office job everyday. NO combat boots or anything that wasn't office like or professional. No gum chewing.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!