Bank of America

6,593 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
2,811 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 389 reviews)

• They have a program called MyWork which allows you to work from home or from any location (in 213 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems to be skewed towards work side more often than not (in 157 reviews)

• upper management failed to listen to the lower ranks often missing oppertuinitys (in 178 reviews)

More Highlights

168 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast track to a career path with outstanding benefits

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, good pay and interesting and diversified work challenges. This is a great job for anyone who wants to move up the ladder and has the credentials and desire to do so. There are a variety of programs you can join that will mentor you to develop your skill sets, as well as providing community outreach in a variety of causes.

Cons

Lots of changes - be ready to engage a new environment, task or challenge on a regular basis. Also be ready to put in long hours as deadlines need to be met.

Heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility and work from home

Cons

Not enough innovation and slow to adapt

Listen to your employees feedback and ideas

Not bad option for bank career

Former Employee - Teller  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Bank of America part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not bad option to get career in this bank. A lot of branches throwout the city. Comfortable offices. Various customers.

Cons

There are some problems with internal procedures. Some of the clients may be rude and unpolite, and you have to smile and patient.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It Just Keeps Getting Worst

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Applications Programmer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Here's the thing BofA has been through tough times relatively compared even to other banks. I've been seeing perpetual layoffs since the day I started here. That being said I've survived here over four years and actually been promoted twice. I'm not a person who's been stuck or passed over for promotion, so maybe this will add some clarity to where I'm coming from and my full thoughts of the bank. I've gotten a chance to work on really interesting and difficult technology problems. I've received tons of mentorship and support.

+ Professional atmosphere - none of the "brogrammer" non-sense
    + Mentorship - even if the ship around us is burning down lots of talented folks willing to share their knowledge and advice
    + Dysfunction in technology divisions can be an opportunity to shine and distinguish one's self (also an easy way to get burned out and or become cynical)
    + Work from Home

Cons

The bad is really bad at BofA. Career growth can be a mine field. I've had several junior employees come to me about how they get no chance at exposure. Many in the tech divisions are so entirely exhausted from layoffs that they are either actively looking for other jobs or are just going through the motions.

+ Extreme cost cutting. Ever had to wrestle with an executive for $200 to fix production issue (ironically caused cost cutting in server maintenance)?
    + Executive musical chairs. Executive management changes every six months. No direction, confused direction, or misguided direction provided by management during their stints.
    + Work from home / flexible work is being eliminated
    + Career growth is a mine field and is accessible to only the most connected and politically savvy
    + Layoffs are perpetual feature and fear in the tech teams. In my four years, I've personally seen nine large scale layoffs--and that's not hyperbole.
    + Tech team quality has dropped significantly. Sophisticated developers and tech team members are leaving in droves or have already left. The quality of the tech talent left behind post layoffs and attrition is really poor. Lots of unmaintainable, undocumented, no test case, brimming with hacks code bases lying around.
    + Demoralizing environment for big thinking.

Summer Analyst 2014 GBAM

Former Employee - GBAM Summer Analyst  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - GBAM Summer Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top-quality culture; the people I worked with were of the highest caliber. Pay is very competitive, and work-life balance is stressed & acceptable.

Cons

Could do with more mentorship from more experienced employees. More one-on-one time to help adjust from a college mind-set to a corporate mind-set.

Don't pair first year analyst interns with senior directors that don't have time or desire to develop temporary employees. The directors have much more to do than help mold us into the caliber of individual the company desires.

the target of banks.

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Highland Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Highland Park, IL (US)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the benifits offered such as insurance and dental are top of the line aswell as paid vacation and the oppurtunity for advancent. 2 Weeks training provided and commute to training facility can be written off.

Cons

a company that cares very little for its employees and has a general attitude of you dont matter. as an employee you can expect to be driven endlessly, micro managed in 15 minute increments and be given little to no respect. A very repressive environment just do as you are told you dont need to know why ect ect. False systems in place to give the false impression of employee empowerment. Constant criticism (built into manager 'roadmap') lots of terms to soften the reality of things such as 'coaching' which it literally just criticism not necesarily contructive. Policies are in an employee accessible sites but are not always observed and if an employee violates a policy write ups are issued. Mangement however is outside of the rules and do not observe the same rules and policies imposed on there employees.

practise what you preach. Live by the alleged morals and slogans constantly flooding the internal e-ways. Talk is only talk.

Long and sometimes difficult

Former Employee - Teller  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

moved around with ease. If you really want it you can move up. Culture is like high school and sometimes doesn't feel like a job. That might be a con depending on the person you are.

Cons

Management is highly inexperienced with poor decision making skills. Overtime is high discouraged and you will get in trouble if you have overtime.

Stop micromanaging and trust your trained employees.

No thought leadership, most employees in technology just staying for work from home benefits

Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home via the myWork program.

Cons

No thought leadership or visionary thinking, no culture of innovation, too much reliance on foreign workers

Consider hiring fresh graduates in Computer Science from Universities within the US rather than relying on foreign workers for your IT systems. Hire the right kind of talent, people with advanced degrees who can provide thought leadership to help gain and sustain competitive advantage.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holiday pay Vacation time Great pay

Cons

Requesting time off is like pulling teeth

Better upper management is needed

Good Company to work for!!!!

Current Employee - Officer  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Officer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounts, steady employment, challenging work

Cons

Some departments treat you like a child, others devalue their employees

Allow more self-managed positions and remove some of the managers who do not actual involve themselves in all aspects of their department. They add no value to the department and usually are reason certain departments are having a difficult time.

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!