Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.3 1,003 reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles(in 49 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited in the opportunity to grow beyond minimum wage(in 68 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so(in 48 reviews)

1,003 Employee Reviews

A great place to work

Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsThere is typically a great blend of people to work with, providing an enjoyable environment in which to work.

ConsThe real downside mostly comes from picky or confused customers who don't know what they want. Amazon being a major competitor is a source of stress as well.

Good

Cafe Server (Current Employee) Reading, PA (US)

ProsGreat first part-time job, flexible schedule and good pay(not minimum wage).

ConsHaving to learn all the drinks.

It was great because of the people I met, and there were good experiences for a young one with little work experience.

Cafe Server (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsI liked the people the most, the management was flexible about my schedule, and held the position for me even when I was away at school.

ConsThe pay is very low and there aren't many benefits at all. It takes too long to really improve. No tips allowed at Cafe for some reason and no free drinks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a very good environment to work in

Pros-Good company
    -Clean, safe, pleasant environment

Cons-Tiring to stand for hours
    -Fairly little pay (even if it is for starters)

Great company to work for but constant efforts to reinvent during a technological wave.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe job is very much easy to learn and you will definitely be presented with opportunities for growth. You will build long lasting relationships with your colleagues that could prove to be beneficial in the changes you make in your life.

ConsTimes are changing for paper books so the identity of the bookstore is experiencing a significant shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush accountability, I feel that is one of the strongest allies in building a team here.

Good Company

Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits and work environment. Great discounts and other perks such as borrowing books and extra discounts on Employee Appreciation days twice a year. Good leadership and feedback from management.

ConsSlow management track, with company sometimes filling limited openings from the outside. It's Retail, if you need an explanation on that you've never worked Retail

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't push us to Obamacare, the health benefits and the HR department are what keep a lot of good people at this company.

Short revie

Prosi like everything about the job

Consi don't like everything about the job

So nice to work at, it was hard to leave.

Lead Bookseller/Department Manager (Former Employee) Brandon, FL (US)

ProsGood environment, not too crazy. Good people to work with. Nice clientele. Had great benefits while I was there.

ConsThe pay was comparable to most retail establishments, which is to say, not enough to live off of. No bonus opportunities and advancement sometimes depends on "who you know".

Advice to Senior ManagementRewards and bonuses for production that can be deemed "Above and Beyond".

Good People

Head Cashier (Former Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsGreat people work for the company.

ConsTeachers abusing their discounts for personal use.

Good place to work, smart co-workers, but low pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a discount on books and the cafe. The people you work with are smart and interesting (many are in bands, writers, and other creative fields).

ConsIt's still retail, so customers will treat you like crap. The pay is also not something you could live off of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the booksellers more and put people who are well-versed in an area (like children's literature) in the corresponding section (the kids section).

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!