Barnes & Noble

www.barnesandnoble.com

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles(in 49 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount(in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited in the opportunity to grow beyond minimum wage(in 66 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so(in 48 reviews)

Short revie

Prosi like everything about the job

Consi don't like everything about the job

It was great because of the people I met, and there were good experiences for a young one with little work experience.

Cafe Server (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsI liked the people the most, the management was flexible about my schedule, and held the position for me even when I was away at school.

ConsThe pay is very low and there aren't many benefits at all. It takes too long to really improve. No tips allowed at Cafe for some reason and no free drinks.

Good Company

Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits and work environment. Great discounts and other perks such as borrowing books and extra discounts on Employee Appreciation days twice a year. Good leadership and feedback from management.

ConsSlow management track, with company sometimes filling limited openings from the outside. It's Retail, if you need an explanation on that you've never worked Retail

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't push us to Obamacare, the health benefits and the HR department are what keep a lot of good people at this company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So nice to work at, it was hard to leave.

Lead Bookseller/Department Manager (Former Employee) Brandon, FL (US)

ProsGood environment, not too crazy. Good people to work with. Nice clientele. Had great benefits while I was there.

ConsThe pay was comparable to most retail establishments, which is to say, not enough to live off of. No bonus opportunities and advancement sometimes depends on "who you know".

Advice to Senior ManagementRewards and bonuses for production that can be deemed "Above and Beyond".

Good People

Head Cashier (Former Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsGreat people work for the company.

ConsTeachers abusing their discounts for personal use.

Good place to work, smart co-workers, but low pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a discount on books and the cafe. The people you work with are smart and interesting (many are in bands, writers, and other creative fields).

ConsIt's still retail, so customers will treat you like crap. The pay is also not something you could live off of.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the booksellers more and put people who are well-versed in an area (like children's literature) in the corresponding section (the kids section).

Barnes and Noble was the best work family I've ever had and I don't expect to find better.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Fairview Heights, IL (US)

ProsThe management was nice and personal. The hours were very flexible. You get to work around books and book lovers all day. They allow you to work independently and you know you matter to the team.

ConsIt was always cold. I had to leave because there are not closer Chicago locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employes to rotate more.

A really fun place to work!

ProsThe best thing about working at Barnes & Noble is that you get to work with a really great group of people. They are very accommodating when it comes to balancing your personal life with your work life. The discount is really great, but one of the best benefits that the company offers is tuition reimbursement. It's a benefit that a lot of people in the company forget to take advantage of, but it made it possible for me to go back to school and pursue a degree in business.

ConsPromotions are constantly changing and often after you have already completed switching them. This makes it hard to stay on top of all of the things you need to get done.

good company

Part Time Book Seller (Current Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

Prosnice and very helpful management

Consnot clearly defined management roles

Advice to Senior Managementgive management defined roles and makes the stick to those roles

Retail bookseller with identity crisis.

Logistics Compliance Auditor (Current Employee) Monroe, NJ (US)

ProsGreat Benefits, fellow co- workers support each other extremely well.
    Interaction with other departments helps build networking skills.

ConsUsed to have a much different schedule in the department, was radically altered. The result is now a serious morale crusher. Work loads increased with no support from management. Asked for feedback and when it is given it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the feedback from employees that have the hands-on experience. Sitting in an office isolated from the environment they work in makes for process decisions that do not work. Have employees part of the new procedure structure.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!