Barnes & Noble

1,264 Reviews
3.4
1,264 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 42 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 61 reviews)

More Highlights

As good as retail will ever get - great business, good benefits, but concerning trends

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Orange, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Orange, CA (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As good as it will ever get for retail. Great community of people to work with. Full-timers get great benefits. Benefits extended to same-sex partnerships even where not legally required. Books are fun.

Cons

People just get weird around bookstores. High sales expectations (memberships). Increasing trend towards bare minimum staffing of a store... frustrating when the main advantage over online shopping is customer service.

Allot more hours to store so they can staff to meet customer's expectations. Managers are doing what they can with what they have, which isn't much.

Wonderful people to work with, limited advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Lead Cafe Server
    Former Employee - Lead Cafe Server

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly co workers and managers, they were great about accommodating scheduling and vacation requests. Everyone worked well together and helped the store run smoothly.

Cons

In 7 years, I only witnessed a few people get promotions within my store. New managers were hired from outside the company or transferred from other stores.
    Raises were annual, but in tiny increments.

Support dedicated employees and help them grow into management positions.

awesome

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

flexible schedule, vacation time for even part-time employees

Cons

bureaucratic higher up stuff that happens anywhere in chain stores

This is a wonderful company to work for because of the people, who are passionate about books but also about each other.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

It's the booksellers who make this company so worthwhile. They love what they do and their knowledge of books is immense. The company also provides a great deal of flexibility in scheduling as well as the best work life balance a retail management position can offer.

Cons

Technology is still not as up to date as it should be, especially when the efficiency expectations continue to get higher every year. Schedules are still done in Excel, which is incredibly time consuming and takes managers off of the floor more than necessary. There is also not a great deal of talent development for store managers to move forward in the company. We spend a lot of time trying to hire / recruit and only want top talent but do not compensate well for it.

There are great opportunities to develop booksellers and managers within the stores but you are limited to antiquated technology. The company is slow to change and stay up to date so you have to make the best with what you have. You will put in a lot of work that could be made much easier with better technology and the compensation does not necessarily match the effort.

Absolutely the BEST place I have ever worked retail!

Current Employee - Bookseller in Brookfield, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Brookfield, WI (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-staff is super friendly and flexible
    -management really cares about how you feel at the job
    -they work with other jobs and school hours
    -everything is great
    -super great discounts (50% in cafe, 30% on the bookfloor and music dept., employee appreciation days in the holiday season-45%)

Cons

-the only drawback is they really, really push you for memberships, and if you have a hard time getting them, they somewhat devaluate your ability as a bookseller

!

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Good when things make sense

Cons

Not good if sales are bad

Not much opportunity for advancement on the retail side.

Former Employee - Cafe Barista in Huntsville, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Cafe Barista in Huntsville, AL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

50% off of cafe items and 30% off of books.

Cons

Not a strong possibility for advancement.

Promote deserving employees.

Love my job!

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Family environment with coworkers and customers

Cons

None! I've bee with the company over 13 years

Great place to work

Current Employee - Bookseller in Manhasset, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Manhasset, NY (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

High Customer focus - Customers are always a priority and always come first.
    Relaxed atmosphere - managers expect booksellers to complete daily tasks but never at the expense of the customer.
    Intellectual customers - As a bookseller, I enjoy interacting with the B&N customer because most are above average and conversations are always interesting and stimulating.
    Flexible hours - many different shifts are available to accommodate individual needs. Also varying shifts make each day different and provide more variety to my week. Management also supports and encourages a good work/life balance.
    On-the-job training gets a newcomer involved immediately. Co-worker support is stressed and part of the corporate culture.
    Amazing benefits at the full time level (health care, vision, dental 401K).
    Great discounts (books, cafe, bookseller appreciation around the holidays).
    Upward mobility - fast promotions - a lot of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Salary is not competitive.
    Management is not consistent. A bookseller can ask the same question to three different managers and get three different responses which is very confusing.
    On-the-job training can be frustrating because of inconsistent management. Also it is difficult to get the "big picture" because so much training is done at a very detailed level. In addition, due to the upward mobility, managers are frequently transferred to different locations which adds to the management instability.

Each store has its own unique qualities based on the community which it serves and the clientele it attracts. Therefore each store must also reflect that "personality". However, some emphasis should be placed on a more consistent management approach and store operation. Perhaps more formal training at different intervals during the Bookseller's career would help bring the "big picture" and consistency to the Bookseller. I also believe that Management should re-evaluate salary levels to be more competitive.