Baxter
www.baxter.com Deerfield, IL 5000+ Employees

Baxter Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros:
  • "Inclusive team environment, work-life balance, flexible work hours"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "A lot of talk about "work/life balance" turns into a lot of *nothing* once you're in your job"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Rinse and repeat and you'll make it to senior management in no time"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great potential but BAD leadership

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baxter full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn the Renal devision, the products are life sustaining and patient user friendly. Baxter invests in R&D and will introduce improved devices for home dialysis patients in the near future. Baxter will continue to be seen as an expert in the home dialysis therapies because of its 30 plus years in the specialized home dialysis arena. Field sales salaries are in the high end of the spectrum. Perks are comparable to the industry standards.

ConsDisconnect between corporate leadership and field sales employes. Bad trickle down communication and distribution of important information. Management is "old school" and refuses to change. Most managers are near the end of their careers and are just waiting to retire and truly don't have the best interest of the company's future in mind. Management has been around for years and very little has been expected of them, do to the small market share of the home dialysis therapies and very small portion of the overall business at Baxter.This has changed in the last couple of years and management can't keep up with what is happening in technology, FDA regulations and compliance standards. Very sad to see management disconnected and more worried about themselves and not the customers they serve.

Advice to Senior ManagementWelcome change and innovation. Be open to new ideas and technology. Provide on-going training to management to better lead the sales force. Make the employees more accountable and expect better results.

My experiences at Baxter have been mixed.

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Zürich (Switzerland)

I have been working at Baxter full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBaxter has a lot of good products and a lot of good people. Some of the initiatives with public/private partnerships are also very interesting.

ConsThe decision-making process is extremely lengthy and priorities and organisational structure seem to shift regularly making it often a very frustrating place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to act without having to do ppt presentation after ppt presentation.

Good place to work, however, not very challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baxter full-time

ProsPeople are nice, however, many cannot be trusted, especially those who come in from the outside
Office Building Campus is nice
Benefits are competitive

ConsPersonalities tend to clash - some employees get away with dishonest behavior because of who they know at the company - not fair to those who are honest
Employees not valued
Communication lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be kept in the loop regarding upcoming changes
Respect lacking

I worked for Baxter for nearly 9 years and never experienced a more rewarding time in my career.

Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Baxter full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInclusive team environment, work-life balance, flexible work hours. In my experience I always felt I was on a level playing field with anyone I conversed with no matter their level. I enjoyed the challenges as they helped me to grow both in my career and personally. I was fortunate to work in many divisions within the company. Some would call it annoying, I looked at it as opportunities to learn and grow.

ConsMy position was terminated abruptly along with those of several others, from a major corporate project. I'd heard of it happening previous to me being impacted but when I was terminated I really felt that as valuable as we were to the projects we were also just that dispensable, too. Baxter, despite positioning themselves to help patients, really are more about the money...in some cases dumping projects with the potential to become blockbuster therapies and the patients who were counting on it to live healthier lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees are valued and have work histories to support they are valued, then to the lengths needed to find a new role for them instead of casting them off.

My 14 years at Baxter were good years with good people.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Baxter full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood professional people to work with a strong interest in patient welfare. Generally adequate resources to get the work done.

ConsMany starts and stops in business policies and processes. There are too many silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more consistency in corporate wide programs and processes to infuse a greater sense of connectivity for all employees.

Sr. Financial Analyst

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Round Lake, IL (US)

I have been working at Baxter full-time for more than a year

ProsThe finance organization at Baxter is very strong. We provide decision support for many aspects of the business and our voice is always heard and used in decision making. The tools used in finance are up to date and user friendly.

ConsSometimes hard to become a mangaer as there are many Sr. Analysts but not as many manager roles...this is common at all companies however.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to management at this time.

Great people, great company, doing great things.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baxter

ProsPeople, purpose (products made), company cares about its employees and customers.

ConsSometimes things move slow due to their size.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent place to work in.

CSV Consultant (Former Employee)
Haina (Dominican Republic)

I worked at Baxter as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGlobal company with social responsibility to the communities they operate in. Is a unique team work experience. Products base is diversified and life saving in the medical device market.

Consinitial compensation and benefits are below industry average. Also company is depending heavily on outsource temporary resources. Work load is overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross training should be implemented to assure business continuity.

Excellent company to work for

Senior Quality Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baxter full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest Place to work - relaxed work environment. Can work from home.

Consnone that I could find.

Advice to Senior Managementyou folks are the best.

started great but was pushed out so they could hire under payed younger employees.

Manufacturing Tech II (Former Employee)
Newbury Park, CA (US)

I worked at Baxter full-time for more than 10 years

Prosjob security,benefits. freindly co workers, cafeteria.

Conspolitics,supervisors who pass the blame.

Advice to Senior Managementinvestigate supervisors and leads.

Worked for Baxter? Contribute to the Community!

Baxter Videos

Baxter – Why Work for Us?

A global diversified healthcare company and industry leader Baxter International Inc., through its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures and markets products that save and sustain the lives of people with hemophilia… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baxter reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Baxter CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.. All 346 reviews are posted anonymously by Baxter employees.