Baxter

www.baxter.com

Baxter Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros
  • The company is flexible with your work/ life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of talk about "work/life balance" turns into a lot of *nothing* once you're in your job(in 16 reviews)

• Rinse and repeat and you'll make it to senior management in no time(in 16 reviews)

Good first experience

Engineer II (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsSome great and encouraging managers

ConsBad work-life balance, perks, and time-off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate schedules that are not so imbalanced for newcomers

Great place to work

Research Associate II (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL (US)

ProsAwesome benefits plan, education reimbursement (100% pre-grad and 80% post-grad), ability to cross train in other departments, summer hours (work monday thru friday at nine hours a day, half day on friday)

ConsExcellent talent base makes it difficult to aquire a promotion (most employees have a masters degree or greater). Can't complain

Advice to Senior ManagementMore mentoring needed

Quality Analyst

Quality Associate I (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL (US)

ProsGood benefits, very competitive salary, good work environment

Consmust be able to deal with a lot of turnover/ change

Advice to Senior Managementminimize turnover in personnel, attempt to standardize SOPs so they are consistent. effective training of employees is an issue, mostly because SOPs change frequently.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No words to describe how bad this company has gotten!!

Project Leader I (Current Employee) Round Lake, IL (US)

ProsYou learn a lot because you get so much dumped on you. The down side is you never get paid for it.

ConsSo much critical work is being offshored it amazes me some functions can even operate. This work comes back with numerous errors. In addition there is so much work to do but the cheap VP's won't hire anyone in addition to handle it. Salaries are a joke!! If you're looking for a good wage DO NOT COME TO BAXTER!

The newer people wonder why we have so much trouble with the FDA, but the older folks now exactly why. We keep making the same stupid mistakes based on Managements idiotic decisions.The morale issues I face on a daily basis with Baxters Qaulity issues is truly scary.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your head out of that object you sit on and listen to your people! In addition pay, them what they deserve. We keep losing more and more super talented folks to our competitors which is killing us with turn over and constant re-training.

Good Experience. Great learning opportunities. Not so great as far as work-life balance.

R&D Engineer (Former Employee) Round Lake Beach, IL (US)

ProsDepending on what project you are working on, you might get a chance to interact with a lot of different functions and gain great experience.

ConsNavigating the hierarchical structure might be challenging. This will of course depend on the team and who the management resources are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep good resources that you have, as opposed to let them go.

Good intentions, but ongoing org changes and misaligned incentives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGreat mission in helping critically ill patients; high caliber colleagues; can be challenged and learn a lot and take on high responsibility despite title; ample training programs

ConsHigh responsibility, but compensation does not reflect that. Work-life balance tough to have. Ongoing org changes equate to continuous changes in leadership, therefore accountability in poor business decisions are not always tied to the appropriate parties (i.e. short term political decisions outweigh better long term business decisions)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are unable to pay more (which is understandable given the changing economics of the healthcare industry and the company profitability), then you need to stop increasing work-load and responsibilities. Also, continue to communicate with teams rather than allowing the gossip chain relay news to team members of upcoming org changes.

Decent place to work but underpays technology specialist

ProsEasy environment, low stress, nice people

ConsSalary, Management communication, promises we're not met for hiring

Friendly working environment, but below market rate remuneration package

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFriendly working environment, colleagues easy to work with, plenty of opportunity to learn

ConsRemuneration package way below market rate, management has no power to create meaningful changes to the overall package, no quality standards in work culture

Human Resources Driven Company

Senior Department Specialist (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGood benefits package. There are good people working there in the departments.

ConsCompany doesn't promote from within. The better worker you are the more they pile on you. Human Resources runs the company and decides who stays and goes based on budget with the departments having little say.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there were better people in Human Resources who understand how the business units work then maybe the management could be better.

Bad HR

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood development opportunities.
    Nice people.
    MBA tuition

ConsHR, politics
    Too many "improvement" programs that nobody really care about

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote internally first, instead of hiring from outside

Worked for Baxter? Contribute to the Community!