Baxter Reviews

Updated 17 April 2015
581 reviews filtered by

1. Great experience, culture where you are made accountable.

I worked at Baxter

Pros

Loyal, dedicated and commitment workforce.

Cons

Unsure of the stability of the organization.

Toxic culture overshadows any good that is going on.

Former Employee - Technical Services Representative in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Services Representative in Bloomington, IN (US)

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fellow employees are great to work with and are generally hardworking. Bloomington is a great city to work and live in.

Cons

Not sure where to begin here. First and foremost, the culture is toxic. The employees from most every department (manufacturing, quality, engineering, etc.) are overworked and under-appreciated. Annual raises are a joke, even during a good year for the plant. I received a promotion within my department at only a 1% raise. This was the final straw in motivating me to find a new job.

The benefits package in general is weak: vacation time is very limited, health insurance is expensive with very few options, the bonuses are small, and there are no cash rewards for excelling. I saved the company $2 million in 2013, and I was given a card with a cheap pen and water bottle as appreciation.

Management is not willing to invest in the facility. There were plenty of equipment failures that could have been prevented if proper care and replacement were made a priority. In addition, procuring the best equipment was to a priority. Most times, the cheapest junk was purchased and the engineer was tasked with making it work in compliance of the regulatory requirements.

Advice to Management

The benefits package needs overhauled. Top talent is not going to stay if they are not treated well and rewarded properly. Employees need to be treated with more respect. Working at Baxter is not their only life.
    The maintenance of the equipment and facility need to be a priority. Shortcuts will only make things worse in the future.

3. There are pros and cons, like any company

I have been working at Baxter

Pros

Ability to move around the org

Cons

Slow and not quick to react to change

5. Quality

Current Employee - Quality in Hayward, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality in Hayward, CA (US)

I have been working at Baxter (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly guys and fine environment. Managers are not isolated from their teams, they r involved with them! Just wish the company had more activities for the employees

Cons

Salary can be better but not bad, equipments needs to be updated. More activities for the employees should take place more often than now

Not employee friendly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN (US)

I worked at Baxter

Pros

The pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Senior leadership - doesn't listen to employee ideas, concerns No work life balance but the company preaches work life balance. Senior Leaders make decisions based on hearsay, not actual information. Senior leaders do not respect the employees. They have no respect for what the employee do to support the facility; there is more work to be completed than employees to do it. As employees leave, others have to pick up the work, as no one is replaced. A very difficult environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Happy employees make companies successful.

7. Opportunistic

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Individual able to make differences through hard work and effort.

Cons

Leadership became too political - exceptional merit increases were hard to obtain

Advice to Management

Spend more time with potential employees - experts can be wrong. Need to gather variety of opinions and solutions.

This is a very nice place to work. My supervisor was very friendly and co-operative.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Baxter as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

This is a Government workplace and Have lots of benefits for its employee. They are very helpful and friendly. It also have a great Launch room.

Cons

Every employee have to test TB on each year which some times let you to do Chest X-Ray each year.

Advice to Management

I am glad that they give me a chance to work over their. The only advice I have for them is to hire more intern.

9. Corporate culture that rewards compliance

Current Employee - Quality Associate
    Current Employee - Quality Associate

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fortune 500 company, great benefits package, hire from within

Cons

Not open to flexible schedule arrangements, culture of complacency stifles growth, do not drive for caeer advancements

Advice to Management

Reward your valued employees not to lose them to competion

Good company to start out with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've gained a lot of valuable experience. Was able to be hired right out of school and feel welcomed in the company.

Cons

Lots of people seem to leave the company. Reorganization within the company seems to occur often. Not very good management when I first started here, but getting better.

Advice to Management

Give recognition where it is due. Some smaller groups within the company seem to not be recognized for all they do, eventhough they are vital to the success of the company.

Gambro was a performance driven organization that was recently purchased by Baxter Healthcare, Inc.

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gambro maintained a consistent, performance driven culture. There were always high growth expectations that were, at times, not in line with market growth. The verdict is still out as to how the purchase of Gambro by Baxter will affect the Gambro business. Baxter is a large corporation and it can be easy for employees to get lost in the shuffle. Theoretically, professional development and growth should improve for Gambro employees based on the size and opportunities available at Baxter.

Cons

Lack of employee personal and professional development. (In all fairness, this was addressed in a positive manner during 2012 - 2014 and should improve as a Baxter company.)

Advice to Management

Baxter should be transparent with all employees as to their recruitment process for senior positions. Leadership positions have been filled internally without job descriptions or postings. This creates a negative blemish on the corporate culture.