BearingPoint

www.bearingpoint.com

BearingPoint Reviews in Atlanta, GA US

BearingPoint – Moscow – “Business center legion”

BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler

Peter Mockler

Pros
  • Work/life balance probably a bit better than competitors(in 47 reviews)

• There are many opportunities to learn and it's a great place to start out at(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management (probably the reason went bankrupt); territorial attitudes of managing directors(in 27 reviews)

• Compensations, trainings and work-life balance depends on your boss and not from your personal qualities(in 12 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A long strange trip

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, ability to work remotely, individual teams worked very well together and were a tight knit group. Company meetings were always interesting events.

ConsPoor upper management team, dishonesty in the information they communicated to the employees regarding the state of the business. Repeatedly told everyone that we were not going to go bankrupt or be sold, when in fact, they were planning to bankrupt the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsulting firms should always be privately held organizations

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGood people and interesting work

ConsBad management and instability with the firm

Always struggling to be successful impacted many opportunities

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGood hard working people
    industry focus brought good value to customers

ConsFinancial struggles impacted success - limited travel when clients are in other states, rounds of layoffs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good consulting firm gone by the wayside

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsLike all consulting firms, BearingPoint offered fantastic experience to interact with many different clients. I worked for 15-20 Fortune 500 clients during my 4 years at BearingPoint.

ConsBearingPoint unfortunately struggled with poor management communication as it worked through multiple CEOs, internal reorgs, etc. At times you worked very long hours and were under high stress conditions. The nonstop travel definitely got a little tedious at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe one thing I wish BearingPoint did more of was work to make it a fun work environment like Deloitte and other consulting firms. There were very few activities, social events, etc. in our office and I only really got to know people on my specific projects.

BearingPoint wasn't a bad place

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsEnjoyed my team, compensation and work environment while at BearingPoint. Had the opportunity to work with great professionals and enjoyable clients.

ConsLeadership lacked proper vision to enable the firm to prosper. Went through restructuring every six months which constantly distracted from execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this stage I hope that management can unwind the company with minimal impact on the remaining staff and clients.

Lucky to have a job

Senior Technology Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsSome of the best reasons to work for BearingPoint are getting to work for a lot of Fortune 500 Companies. The work life balance is good with lots of vacation. The Per diem is also very nice when you're on the road. The salaries are also quite competitive considering they have to overcompensate people to not leave the company.

ConsThe job stability and overall health of the company is very much a reason for concern. There has also been quite a talent flight to the competitors over the past year. There is basically zero job stability for anyone on the bench

Advice to Senior ManagementSell off the business units as quickly as possible

A great place to start your career, but don't stay here long

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Prosvariety of different projects to work on, challenging opportunities with diddifcult clients that help you build patience and tolerance

Consthe company is floundering and the high talent in management has left for other companies. That leave teh good old boys to run the accounts, engagement teams, sectors, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing presence and start managing productivity.

There is more to managing than giving a great power point presentation

Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsIf you can land the right assignment, it is a good place to start. Make sure that you work closely with your resource manager to get great assignments that will advance your career.

ConsPoor senior leadership. Most know the consulting business, but have no clue as to how to manage an organization. For a company that its major asset is human capital, they have no understanding of basic human resource management.
    Make sure that you work closely with your resource manager to get the right assignments to advance your career. You will really have to apply yourself to make this happen. Leadership is not likely to move you to an assignment that will advance your career if you are working at another client. Try to avoid being bounced around from PM's or MD's as much as possible. You can very easily fall through the cracks and not get noticed for salary reviews and promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a discipline within the organization, and execute on your plans.

The company that could, should, but doesn't.

Technology Consulting Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsIt's strong presence in the public services sector. BearingPoint has good opportunities in the government sector and has had a strong track-record with public sector organizations.

Consit's disintegrated structure, particularly of its delivery personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not wait for others to set the conversation tone about your message; be the first to define and communicate your message. Fire incompetent senior management, icebergs, and any other individuals who are roadblocks to progressive thinking and delivery at BearingPoint. Take organizational communication more seriously than it is currently.

Interesting experience at BearingPoint

Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsIn my view, with present economic conditions and current status of BE's, there are still a few reasons to work for BearingPoint. One reasonable reason to work for Bearingpoint at this time would be that if you believe you can help make a difference in turning the company around. Ed, the present CEO, has a difficult task at hand, and can use the help. Another reasonable reason to work for BE at the time of crisis would be to help lead the change and execute on the strategy brought forth by Ed. If you have researched the company, understand the risks ahead, and believe in Ed, then BE will not disappoint you and provide you opportunities to get engaged on projects, possibly aligned with your strengths. I entered BE to strengthen my knowledge of various industries in a short timeframe. As other consulting firms and inherent nature of the business, I was pleased with presented opportunities.

ConsIn my opinion and personal experience with BE, it lacks a fair/complete performance evaluation process. In addition, I do not agree with metrics used to evaluate performance of employees at all level. E.g. Sustaining growth number during declining economy, while addressing increasing attrition is an unrealistic expectation. By no means, is it an easy task to provide a fair career progression model for 17000+ employees but fixing fundamental issues with the model and communicating reasons for the chosen metrics is an equitable request.

Furthermore, most practice leaders I have worked with rather show profitability in the responsible area with less concern to companies outlook as a whole. Some in my opinion do not understand what it means to be a publically traded companies much less the associated responsibilities. Sr. Mgmt lacks the enthusiasm and devotion to harness and grow younger talent to help make a better future for BE.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives of BE: I have no interaction at this level but would advice ED to ensure he has a strong team to lead us through these tough times. The chosen team must validate that how business is being performed which is more than evaluating numbers provided on dashboards. At this time, one must evaluate qualitative measures as well as quantitative. Numbers are a good indication but poor mgmt at various levels may not provide a clear picture. E.g. Pro-active monitoring of projects with frequent evaluations can help avoid\control loss apparent at later stages due to mismanagements.

VP's/MD's: Let's realize that we all must work together to withstand this storm. We must bring issues that need attention to light so Exec mgmt can address them. E.g. Let's ensure BE internals employee are of a better value on fixed engagements than a SUB. Processes and policies must change to accommodate needs of company. Finally, all of us must realize that we are not a private company and begin owning responsibility of a publically traded company. Corporate office has realized this but unfortunately the consulting practice needs to catchup.

Worked for BearingPoint? Contribute to the Community!