Best Buy

6,317 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,142 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work life balance

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Very good work life balance. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Limited growth in the company.

Assistant Store Manager of Operations/ Sales Support Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager of Operations in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, competitive pay, ability to drill down into business results. Monthly and Quarterly bonus potential. Training opportunities. Rapid pace for change. Disengaged people will not linger. Employeee discount/ accomodations.

Cons

System challenges. Work life balance is a joke around the holidays. Long days, continue to do more with less in light of recent operational cuts. Victories rarely celebrated, amid constant pressure to drive metrics. Intense pressure to sell Geek Squad services, Protection plans, and open credit cards.

Store hardware/systems are dated and don't work as intended, must upgrade here to keep pace with the direction we are being asked to take the business.

Great place to work but has its many downs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good startng pay but not nearly enough for the amount work and things you have to put up with.
    Can be fairly reasonable at scheduling but will try to work you as much as possible.

Cons

Really bad to post schedules and notify of any changes made
    Hard to move up or change departments

Get better more training reasonable managers

Best Buy Computer Consultant

Current Employee - Computer Consultant in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Computer Consultant in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The experience you have at Best Buy is based entirely on your management and your team. If your management invests in you then you succeed. If you succeed, then they succeed. Furthermore, if your team knows when and how to have fun and be professional, then you're in for a good time. I've heard horror stories about bad experiences working in the same role at other stores, but my team is smart, eager to help people first, and know what's appropriate and not appropriate to say and do on the sales floor. It's made the job more than a job but something I am extremely proud to talk about to others.

Cons

A problem that occurs on occasion is the mentality and behavior of the upper management. I've been been introduced to many executive and higher management staff above my store management, and every time I take the opportunity to be myself and sell my brand. My mind is always along the mind of solving people's problems by helping them with their tech needs. It's not that I get a feeling that they are against this way of doing things, but they are definitely more interested in the companies return on investment.

Focus on the people and the customer experience in a bigger way. Best Buy can be a happy memory for everyone if you build the atmosphere to better suit the needs of the customer, and then build the team and the team's strategy around the experience first.

Pretty cool

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Cool atmosphere easy job okay co-workers but like every job there ate people who try try to get you fired simply because they don't like you

Cons

Not many cons except for bad Co workers the job itself is fine but when working people there will Always be drama

Great

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Great managers, great co-workers, advancement depending on how long you have been there

Cons

Scheduling thats mostly about it

Great Company

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Good experience, Flexible Schedule, good discount

Cons

Management, and pay, work you to the bone

pay more

Great company with an ever expanding mind set.

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constantly facing new challenges with changing product and keeping a leg up on the current market and whats in as far as product is concerned.

Cons

Lack of training for more technical aspects, management focus is mainly on sales rather than the full spectrum of services.

Take it back to the basics, how we use to run, with training our sales staff with the technical knowledge to conquer the more difficult customers, don't let the customers school our employees.

Great company with great leadership.

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Las Cruces, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Las Cruces, NM (US)

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The best thing about Best Buy is the environment, there are always motivating team members and leaders.
    Very flexible with students as far as schedule goes.
    Being a part of Best Buy gives you a very wide sales experience.

Cons

Customers can expect more than the store can offer.

Help on moving upward through the company would be appreciated.

Friendly work environment.

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teaches you how to work well with others, work in a team. Opportunities to improve your skills and learn.

Cons

During a recent corporate restructure, many surpervisor postions were eliminated, cause less opportunities to advance.