Best Buy

3.3 5,425 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,673 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time(in 163 reviews)

5,425 Employee Reviews

Home Theater Associate

Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee) Waterford, MI (US)

ProsA lot of great people to work with, never ending supply of new technology to learn, had a good discount on merchandise.

ConsVery little upward mobility, they would be willing to let you switch departments and learn more but not willing to let you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you value good employees they will work very had as long as you come through on promises made. Stop telling employees if they do certain things they will be promoted. If you can't or won't come through for your employees when they do what you ask of them, they lose a lot of faith in you and the company.

great employee experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosemployee experience and training were outstanding

Conswork life balance and no holidays

A Great Company to grow in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are a self starter and can quickly adapt to changes, the ability to grow within this company is great. I started as just a seasonal employee while in college, and within my first 12 month was able to work my way up to a supervisor role and continued over my years to advance further within the company.

ConsConstant restructuring makes it hard to stay motivated and leaves employees concerned that their role will be eliminated every year. Also the amount of work and skill our associates are required to have deserves better compensation from entry level employees up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work while going to school, better pay than most retail stores.

Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) American Fork, UT (US)

ProsYou learn more about new technology and practice basic selling strategies. The discount is really nice for most items so you can get some cool stuff quickly. The company has been really good at working with my school schedules which change every semester. Most people that work there are smart and fun people to be around.....most.

ConsBest Buy expects dedication. They track sales and compare yours against coworkers. If you are not performing, don't expect as a ton of hours. If you plan on making a career out of Best Buy and start at the bottom don't expect to move up in the company quickly. Many managers who have worked up the Best Buy chain spend many years to get there. I've seen people work 4 years to become a supervisor (only $14-16/hr). Very competitive environment to move up in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't know about your departments products and can't sell it then learn how to do it. My store manager has been with Best Buy for four years and cannot sell a computer, TV, or appliance and doesn't know how to process a return. Basic tasks for most employees. Not only do new employees need you there to lead the way but your older employees will respect you more for being a real leader.

A great place to grow and develop.

Home Theater Sales Associate (Current Employee) Davie, FL (US)

ProsIn my experience my manager was very helpful and willing to develop me as an individual. I learned how to read the scorecards, a lot about business and business term, and how to make smart business decisions. If you like technology its a great place to work at. Employee benefits are great too.

ConsThe company is constantly changing, so when you have one rhythm going it completely changes in a matter of a week sometimes. In my experience, the management have many different styles of doing things so its easy to get confused. The company seems to be moving away from making the customer have a great experience and find them the right solution to a more commission feel, close every sale, attach everything you can, and up-sell the customer environment but still want you to think like we don't work on commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the development of every employees. Recognize employees more often to motivate them, not just call their attention when they are not meeting their goals. Be more consistent and involved with employee coaching, don't just do it because you have to proof to your boss that you did it.

It was, to date, my favorite job.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Arlington, TX (US)

ProsGreat coworkers. Fun environment. Clear path to promotion. Great compensation. Amazing management. Team culture is really pushed.

ConsCustomers are frequently rude, but that's all places. Employee discount is amazing so you may spend your check where you got it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Life at bby

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked there for four years. Great job during your college years.

The company wants you to have a best friend at work. Which is easy to do.

Best buys motto is "have fun while being the best" it's definitely a fun job!

Awesome discount.

ConsHoliday season gets extremely overwhelming. Black Friday is miserable. 5 Black Fridays and no one is ever truly prepared.

Good Company for a first Job

PCHO Lead (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE (US)

ProsLearning how to conduct sales, manage client systems, and perform analysis. This was a perfect first job for someone interested in the field of technology with a sales slant.

ConsOverbearing management, ineffective scheduling, lack of ability to advance in the company.

A continuously evolving company that looks to the future and garners the strengths of it's people.

Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA (US)

ProsWhile the brick and mortar world of retail is loudly crumpling under the weight of internet companies, Best Buy continues to find new ways to remain relevant and offer new and unique opportunities for people looking to cut their teeth in the business world. While they may seem like drones who spout information, their knowledge of technological trends and the knowledge of how everything works is no mistake. Each employee is offered the right amount of training in how to maximize a person's wants and needs when it comes to what they buy. Unique opportunities are available to widen an employees experience in running a business and how to operate any electronic under any circumstance.

ConsThe major issue with an ever evolving company is the amount of people that end up being lost in the shuffle. With a company as big as Best Buy, you will find that there are a lot of budget cuts that result in the loss of jobs and the derailment of careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there are a lot of changes, the reliance of outside companies for supplemental support leads to a lot of discouragement. If you're going to rely on a company other than your own to do things, don't punish your employees for their incompetence. Either hold them accountable or make those jobs available to your employees as to create more positions and allow better service to your customers.

Hmm...

Prosmost people are friendly, lots of opportunity to change positions in the company.

Consneeds to have better attitudes in management, can be very man based when it come to careers within the company.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!