Black & Veatch
www.bv.com Leawood, KS 5000+ Employees

Black & Veatch Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Steve Edwards

Pros:
  • "Most departments have flexible schedules (9-80 work weeks) and allow for a good work life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An awesome learning and mutually beneficial association

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany has very high standards of Ethics and Compliance. Very strong on Values. Definitely Safety is the first criteria to be considered above all. Lot of growth opportunities within the organization but to specific group of people and many others may find it otherwise. Excellent work culture. No wonder professionals have been continuing for so many years with the Organization. I worked for just 7 years.

ConsTop management may not be aware of all the happenings outside of US. Definitely the work culture and the way of doing business is fast changing with new senior management people hired in many locations outside US. Company wants to grow and expand but at what costs? Doesn't care for senior professionals who have worked with the company for so many years, Management easily lets them go. There's nothing wrong in growth and bringing a change but will that be sustainable. I don't think anyone thinks about the knowledge bank and sustainable growth of the Organization anymore. High time for Top management to wake up and get involved in business outside US.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be satisfied with the reasoning from Senior Management outside of US for all the policies, procedures and happenings but try and seek feedback from the middle level and other relevant professionals outside of US.

Nice company for leaders

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat bunch of people working at top.

ConsYou need to be pro-active in your development or else you will be side tracked quickly.

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

ProsBrand Name, Standards, Ethics, Culture

ConsLimited exposure, This company is not well known in south east asian market.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgressive market capture strategy

A great company to work with

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work and life balance, Supportive seniors, reasonable pay structure.

ConsSlightly more Conservative than required

Excellent work culture with great learning

Project Controls Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork culture, travel assignments have great exposure, top management is extremely transparent

ConsLow pay, too much of importance to Expats in India ,

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and get small projects in india before going for large EPC projects

Wonderful

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing work culture and Openness

ConsConservative, risk averse, varying degree of policy implementation

Good people, good work environment, less stress and overall good company to work with.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Black & Veatch

ProsBlack and Veatch is a nice MNC for the sector of energy and power. There is good chance of travelling around the globe and the fellow employees are very nice at Pune, India office.

ConsSalary, which is offered by Black & Veatch, is slightly less as compared to other MNCs and rules for the dress and language is very strict. In india, they don't hire freshers from the leading technical institute IITs, so they are legging behind in quality employees in the company, although there were a bunch of remarkable brain sitting there in the Black & Veatch but IITs should not be ingored as far as India is concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn a short span I didn't get enough time to get in touch with management team but I guess there is lack of innovation in Black & Veatch. So, I suggest some innovative program must be conducted within the company, where employees can improve their skills.

Support Function very disappointing

I have been working at Black & Veatch

ProsDirector of mumbai is office is really very nice person and is very suportive to employees, Entire leadership team is very cooperative and working towards common goal. there is not much of office politics. Things are more or less transparent on technical side

ConsVarious policies in BVCLP are were very good before modifications made to it by HR admin and Finance departments, they used to give maximum benefits to employees. Now supports try to push some very rigid and impractical policies on employees and they are not ready to listen to any one the worst part is they are not covered under supervision of Director of mumbai who is really a very good and cooperative person. They are deteriorating the culture of mumbai office. First of all they have employed so many people in their department still they out source all the work to other vendors, and they act as if they are working for vendors and not for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have control on HR, Finance and admin in mumbai office itself, try to have employee friendly policies and have a look at prevailing policies in competitive companies. Initially BVCPL had advantage of higher salary over other competitors but now that is not the case so if the culture is spoiled then office will loose good staff to its competitors. Believe me only good people will leave as they are always in demand and average and below average will stay this will bring down overall quality and productivity of office

Good experience with Black & Veatch

Quality Manager (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiverse workforce, flexible schedule and growth potential is absolute

ConsWith a diverse workforce comes diverse personalities. The only time that this causes a problem is if your boss doesn't care for yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your real agenda, so your staff may support you better.

Variety of work is high and I work with highly skilled professionals.

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

ProsVariety of work, possibility of working in a variety of locations around the world.

ConsWorkload is greatly variable during a typical year.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black & Veatch reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Black & Veatch CEO Steve Edwards. All 150 reviews are posted anonymously by Black & Veatch employees.