Blockbuster

Blockbuster Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Blockbuster President Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly

Pros
  • Great weekly benefits with 10 free rentals a week(in 182 reviews)

• We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk(in 152 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations, upper management out of touch with what the customer wanted(in 46 reviews)

• unrealistic sales goals, upper management micro managed too much(in 31 reviews)

Loved working with all the movie fans.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsGreat friends, great customers. I loved the atmosphere and talking about movies and games all day.

ConsYou can't please everyone all the time so you do your best and give a smile.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has always been great to me.

Fulfilling

Key Holder (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe free weekly movie rentals

ConsHiring of high school students that really don't want to work in the first place

Advice to Senior ManagementShow up and really manage employees

Fun. Interactive. A little archaic with the computer systems. However, they encourage producing great customer service.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey provide 10 free movie rentals every week so you can speak with your customers with prime movie knowledge. They emphasize great customer service and have great company values. They allow for personal growth within the company for those who are meant to have leadership roles.

ConsThe company is disintegrating and is not longer relevant in most cities. They either need to learn a new marketing strategy or risk losing all their profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times and create a system similar to Netflix or Hulu with competitive pricing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of movies and conversations with fun people

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsIt's a relaxing place to work and you're kept updated about movies. We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk. My coworkers were fun to talk to and work with!

ConsThe pay is pretty low, and we constantly had to upsell candy to customers, which got old pretty fast

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Abington, PA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers & wonderful employees

ConsHorrible corporate management & sales vultures

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't do it

It was quite a ride!

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsIt was a fun place to work...talking about movies and games, helping customers find a movies they would enjoy. The teamwork was great and the job not too demanding at the store level. As you reach positions of greater responsibility, the rewards could be greater and the camaraderie greater as well.

ConsThe downward slide of the business was not fun. The frequent store closings at the end became difficult to explain to the customer as you fought for a future for the company. The denigration of the business by "customers" towards the end was challenging as we continued to feel we had a good product and service to offer.

Front desk

Team Lead (Current Employee) Wheat Ridge, CO (US)

ProsSurrounded by movies, customers enjoyed selecting movies, fun easy job for a kid, not too much pressure, enjoyed reviewing free movies

ConsCompany went bankrupt, there are no more jobs, customers hated late fees and would argue about them, hard push to sell a overpriced movie pass

Review of Blockbuster Management

Store Manager (Former Employee) Saint Peters, MO (US)

ProsFree Movie Rentals
    Semi-flexible work hours

ConsNo personal growth and upward movement within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked at Blockbuster at the beginning of the Bankruptcy. Upper management was putting all the pressure for store performance. They wanted "clerks" to become sales associates and throwing everything at us at a moments notice to see if something new stuck. When my district manager got a new job, I knew it was time to start looking.

An energetic and positive, part time work environment.

Four Star Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Pros- I had positive interactions with both of my managers.
    - You work closely with management staff as a customer service representative. If you are dedicated to customers and on time for work, you will be respected by management.
    - The retail store atmosphere is inviting and friendly.

Cons- Often times, inventory nights in the store were long, sometimes taking up to four hours with 4-5 people working. Inventory could not be completed before store closing, which was 12:00 am.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, the location I worked at closed down. I left the position and location voluntarily for another job, one year prior to its closing date. I know the managers were made aware of the possible closing very well in advance. The management staff was honest and upfront with employees and I hope this continues in their future.

Good environment

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsFree rentals, great atmosphere and nice co-workers. All in all I enjoyed my time working there. Sadly it's hard to find a location that is still open. If you do find one near you don't hesitate to apply.

ConsLow pay with little room for advancement. With multiple store closing and the likelihood that all stores will be closing soon, don't expect to stay with the company for an extended period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!