Bloomingdale's

Updated 23 October 2014
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 70 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 43 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

worst

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Absolutely the worst. I had a gift card and tried to spend it online. The order went through but later they sent me an email saying additional information required. I called, waited for 30 minutes and finally someone picked up. He assured me after getting my credit card information, the order will go through. That was NOT the case. The second order was denied again pending "fraud investigation". I called again and spoke to several supervisors, and they still cannot tell me why the system flagged my order. It was a simple gift card paid with CASH. There was no credit card involved so how can there be any fraud? The truth of the matter is, they stole my money and now I am out a $200 gift card and my order.

Cons

but on the other side if we talk about fsession.com they pretty good in that case

A great company to work for. Its one big happy family.

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Huntington, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Huntington, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet alot of great people. Customers and co-workers. Exciting seeing all the new fashions.

Cons

The ever-changing schedule, difficult making plans with ur family.

Expand on the positive; not just the negative.

A good experience but disappointing for anyone looking to move up the ladder.

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

When you're first hired, they provide all the necessary training you need to get started. The manager works with you to ensure your success and helps you build your clientele.

Cons

Not enough opportunities for career advancement. They don't look at the current employees for advancement; always hiring from the outside.

More attention should be given to current employees when looking to fill leadership positions. There are many current employees that are more than capable to fill these positions.

Good place to work

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

Good and creative coworkers, interesting projects, reputable company, very reasonable hours, good discount, job stability, young and diverse office.

Cons

There are limited growth opportunities. Salaries seem lower than comparable positions at competitors. Work cycle is slightly repetitive from season to season.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun place to work

Cons

I have no cons for this job

They were great

My experience was good.

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Managers need to learn to respect their associates...especially division managers.

Cons

Managers do not listen to the associates and are not willing to help other managers under them.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay! You work off of commission, if you don't meet sales goals you still make 9.50/hour. I worked in a fast paced location in New York City so you typically always exceed sales goals.

Cons

Customers are very needy and dependent. Be prepared, they can occasionally get nasty. You may be fighting back tears at one point but you will eventually grow a backbone and grow from the experience. It was hard for me as a student to keep up with my studies while working until 10pm on weekdays.

Respectful of employees

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

They really take care of their employees and are very professional and fair.

Cons

Can be long hours like any retail environment

keep up the good efforts

Macy's in a prettier box!

Former Employee - Group Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Store environments are attractive.
    For retail, it attracts higher calibre sales associates and management.
    Good employee discount, especially on double discount days, etc.
    Ongoing management training.

Cons

Corporate management prefers followers rather than leaders. You aren't encouraged to try new approaches to drive business because department stores have to please the big-name fashion brands, so they must approve of floor moves, etc. Very political environment! Many buyers and Regional Managers can be incredibly rude on store visits, although some are helpful, and open-minded!

Corporate flagship is an amazing store, but regional stores far away from NY bear little resemblance to the 59th Street flagship, particularly with regard to brand mix.

Retail requires nights and weekends, and Bloomingdale's is no exception, however, the required hours aren't too bad with the exception of the holiday periods when you'll work six-days weeks.

Make your store visits more motivational for both management and sales associates.
    Be open-minded to ideas that might generate more revenue. The local employees genuinely care, want to increase business, and often have great ideas about how to do that. Listen to them, and let them implement those ideas without having to make the same requests for 6-12 months prior to being given permission.

Excellent

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Employee Discount
    Learning from vendors
    Celebrity escorts

Cons

Poor pay for high end retail

None

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center