Bloomingdale's

Updated 4 March 2015
2.9

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 75 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 46 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

worst

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Absolutely the worst. I had a gift card and tried to spend it online. The order went through but later they sent me an email saying additional information required. I called, waited for 30 minutes and finally someone picked up. He assured me after getting my credit card information, the order will go through. That was NOT the case. The second order was denied again pending "fraud investigation". I called again and spoke to several supervisors, and they still cannot tell me why the system flagged my order. It was a simple gift card paid with CASH. There was no credit card involved so how can there be any fraud? The truth of the matter is, they stole my money and now I am out a $200 gift card and my order.

Cons

but on the other side if we talk about fsession.com they pretty good in that case

Great enviorment

Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing manager
    Plenty chances to grow within the company
    Great staff

Cons

Commission is ok but the returns make it hard to see any commission

Don't pressure for credit card

Great Company!

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Stanford, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Stanford, CA (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing(Well at least when I was there), you can definitely get weekends off with prior notice(this is retail people, not a mon-fri office job) and the Gratis(i worked in cosmetics) was pretty awesome. The hours are great(when you're closing on a sunday).

Cons

You work weekends, thats the down side but it's retail. During christmas, it gets crazy so get ready to work overtime and come in extra early and leave extra late. You have to open up credits cards, I mean who really wants one anyways? That the one thing I didnt like, most people are up to their neck in debt and do not want to open another cc.

Rotate weekends off so everyone is happy.

Work hard and gets a lot of money

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Selling at Bloomingdales is simple if you're ready to focus. I made a ton of money working only 15 hours a week. Most weeks were $300-$400 after taxes on a good week I made over $600. Some of my co workers complained about not making any money but they were the ones messing around and talking to each other and ignoring customers.

Cons

It can get irritating if people start stealing sales. You have to make sure you keep an eye on your customers or someone else could ring them up. In my particular department, if you were courteous and didn't steal sales, others returned the favor. I heard in other departments it is much more cut throat.

I wish that they would simplify some of the sales. We would have like 3 different promotions going at once and it got confusing for the sales associates as well as the customers

Always in fear of loosing job due to budget cuts

Former Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stepping stone to better sale positions

Cons

Pay was just above minimum wage

N/A

Everything has changed. And not for good...

Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are still a good amount of great sales people. It is only a matter of time until they leave or retire.

Cons

Management speaks to sales people only when business is down and only trying to find somebody else to blame. There is no real communication.

Appreciate your sales people.

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and advancement, promotes intercompany skills and product knowledge

Cons

Too much pressure for credit card openings; Need for client return revisit; some of merchandise damaged or used and we still had to accept the merchandise

full time sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You really get to take ownership of a business and depending on what you do with that will determine your success. Great discounts, good management team, generally nice coworkers, great assortment of products to sell

Cons

The company places too much importance on Client selling ,relationship and honestly appeasing that is a time waste/distraction. Opening store credit cards is a major part of the culture and hearing about it daily can be rather tiresome. The commission structure draw verses commission system creates an anti team climate, The way you are paid under the draw verses commission structure can be incredibly daunting when business is slow . Growth within is nonexistent.

In a changing retail culture the draw verses commission structure may need some tweaking. Base plus commission? the importance of client sales should be a tool for us to grow sales and not part of our review

Good and bad

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

There was a great family environment created in the store with many long term employees. Some management that really valued the contributions of their employees.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement. Occasional managers who preferred to keep talented individuals under their thumb.

Embrace fresh and new ideas of your employees as it will lead to happy employees and increased productivity.