Blount International

www.blount.com

Blount International Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Blount International – Kansas City – “Double head mill”

Blount International – Kansas City – “Double head mill”

Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

A great place to work, in an old school manufacturing company.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

Pros-Feels like a family at work, people really dive into the work, great company in the Pacific NW, with a great reputation.
    - Great experience
    - Josh Collins is a great asset to the company along with most of his senior leadership team.

Cons- Old Boy style progression of employees
    - The product amount to limited growth in a commodity market, and efforts to break into to new segments has been lackluster. Efforts to grow through acquisitions have been hit or miss.

Advice to Senior Management- Think long term, and look for competitive strategies regarding investment in manufacturing excellence. Management is too focused on short term solutions, and the progressive managers are ostracized, and isolated.
    - This company has so much potential to be truly world class in a lot of aspects, but needs world class talent in the middle ranks.

My experience here has been demanding, confusing, and unfruitful after two years of service.

Parts Puller/Packer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsYour base pay gets bumped up pretty quickly after your first year, and the overtime is abundant. Their 401k is unlike any other company I have been with. They have excellent benefits and good people to work with.

Cons1. You top out pretty quickly here. There are individuals here who haven't received any raises for over a decade. After year one, you are stuck in your pay grade.
    2. Policies change without notice here.
    3. The turnover ratio here is high.
    4. Associates are not held accountable in their actions at all in there work. If you can get away with just doing a little, then you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have spoken with associates from Blounts' all across the US and have heard great things. Here in Kansas City they remind us of our P4 beliefs and ethics, but falls flat on action.

Blount has a lot of potential if they get the right management in plave

ProsGood benefits package. Lots of overtime.

ConsNo one gets in trouble very often for not doing their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people to stop talking and do their job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People, Bad Decisions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsBlount has fairly competitive salaries, good benefits, great people to work with, high percentage of long term employees, and ongoing education opportunities if you are seeking an associates or bachelors.

ConsLack of flexibility with work schedule, poor advancement opportunities, horrible communication/collaboration between departments, extreme low percentage of women in management positions, knee jerk reactions in decision making leading to frequent failure

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is management heavy with a bunch of yes men. Listen to your little people, they do all of the work and have great insight on long term goals.

A challenging and great place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsComp/benefits. Great teammates that really care about the quality of work that they do as well as the products they manufacture and sell.

ConsWork/life balance
    Missing processes in many if the different areas including planning, logistics, accounting, project management, and Admin in general. Plenty of opportunity for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recruiting and retaining top notch personnel

Blount opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsEducational aide, good matching 401K, and room for growth if your willing to put in effort and schooling. Very goog technical trades "apprenticeship" training. Blount is very team oriented, and pays better than most companies. The employees in manufacturing are well trained and care about what they do, they are some of the best people that a company could get!

ConsTheir sales forcasting has never been very accurate wich results in manufacturing fluctuations, poor sales and foreign competition picking up sales. Blount is closing its Milwaukie facility and is displacing "laying off" 225 employees, which include a large number of long term employees. Roughly 20-25% of its manufacturing work force is affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing all your core employees that made Blount what it has become. There is way to much upper administration. When times get tough you let go the people that actually do the work! Stop with all the P4 business and just go with profits, your employees would respect you a lot more! Stop buying unprofitable companies and stick with the core business, saw chain.

Great experience working there last summer as an intern.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing caring management team that were very approachable. They care about people in the company.

ConsI was pretty satisfied with all my experience.

Not a good experience.

Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThey pay pretty good money for maintenance personnel. and benefits aren't bad.

ConsThey just shut down another plant in the area and over 200 people just got laid off. I am in chain maintenance and i am one of the layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont make promises you cant keep.

Worst place I have ever worked

Engineer (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsDecent salary, good benefits. There are some good people working there who are loyal to the company but are very upset with the direction that management is taking the company.

ConsCompany is top heavy with multi layers of VP's, managers, and supervisors. Marketing and engineering are full of do-nothing, rude people who have no experience in the forestry industry. Engineering, marketing, and sales used to be staffed with knowledgeable people who was brought up through the ranks in the company. They are the people who grew this company and got them where they are today. Now it is filled with people who know nothing about the industry, continuously play political games and care nothing about other people. Blount is understaffed in areas where there are bottlenecks but continue to ignore this in favor of adding managers and supervisors in areas where they are not needed and slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Trim the marketing and product engineering departments and get back to work. Reduce the amount of endless, non-productive meetings and get rid of anyone without prior experience in the forestry industry. Managers do not listen to the people who made the company what it is. Focus on the core product and sell off all of the companies that are draining profits. Promote from within....take a hard look at who is performing and who is draining the company of resources and stalling progress. Communicate with employees....you could learn a lot.

Great co-workers, okay management that is leaning toward stockholder focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers at all levels. Everyone is pretty willing to help with projects, as long as you are careful about understanding that they have other things to work on in addition to what you are asking of them.

ConsDuring my employment the upper management got more and more vocal about how the employees are the most important asset of the company, but their actions showed that their real concern was about stock price, and spinning soft market conditions to look okay to major stock holders.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down on acquiring new business units and focus on getting the organization moving in the same direction. Stop playing a numbers game with shipments to try and keep the stock prices up, it only ends up hurting the company the next month, and frustrating everyone with the rollercoaster of activity.

Worked for Blount International? Contribute to the Community!