Blount International
www.blount.com Portland, OR 5000+ Employees

Blount International Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014
Blount International – Kansas City – “Double head mill”

Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Blount has a lot of potential if they get the right management in plave

I have been working at Blount International full-time

ProsGood benefits package. Lots of overtime.

ConsNo one gets in trouble very often for not doing their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people to stop talking and do their job

Good People, Bad Decisions

I worked at Blount International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBlount has fairly competitive salaries, good benefits, great people to work with, high percentage of long term employees, and ongoing education opportunities if you are seeking an associates or bachelors.

ConsLack of flexibility with work schedule, poor advancement opportunities, horrible communication/collaboration between departments, extreme low percentage of women in management positions, knee jerk reactions in decision making leading to frequent failure

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is management heavy with a bunch of yes men. Listen to your little people, they do all of the work and have great insight on long term goals.

A challenging and great place to work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blount International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsComp/benefits. Great teammates that really care about the quality of work that they do as well as the products they manufacture and sell.

ConsWork/life balance
Missing processes in many if the different areas including planning, logistics, accounting, project management, and Admin in general. Plenty of opportunity for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recruiting and retaining top notch personnel

Blount opportunities

I worked at Blount International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEducational aide, good matching 401K, and room for growth if your willing to put in effort and schooling. Very goog technical trades "apprenticeship" training. Blount is very team oriented, and pays better than most companies. The employees in manufacturing are well trained and care about what they do, they are some of the best people that a company could get!

ConsTheir sales forcasting has never been very accurate wich results in manufacturing fluctuations, poor sales and foreign competition picking up sales. Blount is closing its Milwaukie facility and is displacing "laying off" 225 employees, which include a large number of long term employees. Roughly 20-25% of its manufacturing work force is affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing all your core employees that made Blount what it has become. There is way to much upper administration. When times get tough you let go the people that actually do the work! Stop with all the P4 business and just go with profits, your employees would respect you a lot more! Stop buying unprofitable companies and stick with the core business, saw chain.

Great experience working there last summer as an intern.

I worked at Blount International

ProsAmazing caring management team that were very approachable. They care about people in the company.

ConsI was pretty satisfied with all my experience.

Not a good experience.

Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay pretty good money for maintenance personnel. and benefits aren't bad.

ConsThey just shut down another plant in the area and over 200 people just got laid off. I am in chain maintenance and i am one of the layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont make promises you cant keep.

Worst place I have ever worked

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Blount International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent salary, good benefits. There are some good people working there who are loyal to the company but are very upset with the direction that management is taking the company.

ConsCompany is top heavy with multi layers of VP's, managers, and supervisors. Marketing and engineering are full of do-nothing, rude people who have no experience in the forestry industry. Engineering, marketing, and sales used to be staffed with knowledgeable people who was brought up through the ranks in the company. They are the people who grew this company and got them where they are today. Now it is filled with people who know nothing about the industry, continuously play political games and care nothing about other people. Blount is understaffed in areas where there are bottlenecks but continue to ignore this in favor of adding managers and supervisors in areas where they are not needed and slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Trim the marketing and product engineering departments and get back to work. Reduce the amount of endless, non-productive meetings and get rid of anyone without prior experience in the forestry industry. Managers do not listen to the people who made the company what it is. Focus on the core product and sell off all of the companies that are draining profits. Promote from within....take a hard look at who is performing and who is draining the company of resources and stalling progress. Communicate with employees....you could learn a lot.

I was hoping for a good career move and now I just have to move.

Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time

ProsJob Security. Good employee discount.

ConsToo much manditory OT with no end in sight. Managers are only concerned with end of month and end of quarter numbers and not the OT impact on emloyees. Micro managing at its best. HR issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementOT should be dropped and Headcount needs to be increased. This would save the company money and increase their capacity. A plant manager that has experience in running a big facility needs to be brought in to turn around the KC location. The currrent management does not have the knowledge or experience to get this location to the next level. Listen to the employees sugestions.

Great co-workers, okay management that is leaning toward stockholder focus

I worked at Blount International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat coworkers at all levels. Everyone is pretty willing to help with projects, as long as you are careful about understanding that they have other things to work on in addition to what you are asking of them.

ConsDuring my employment the upper management got more and more vocal about how the employees are the most important asset of the company, but their actions showed that their real concern was about stock price, and spinning soft market conditions to look okay to major stock holders.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down on acquiring new business units and focus on getting the organization moving in the same direction. Stop playing a numbers game with shipments to try and keep the stock prices up, it only ends up hurting the company the next month, and frustrating everyone with the rollercoaster of activity.

Great company

I have been working at Blount International full-time

ProsBlount is a great company that provides employees with plenty of opportunities for advancement and training. Compensation is better than most comparable descriptions.

ConsThe company is large and with that comes bureacracy. Even with the current emphasis on lean, continuous improvement, and change, there is still a culture that embraces "this is the way we've always done it" - but that's changing rapidly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing. Changing the culture takes time - it's working.

Worked for Blount International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blount International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Blount International CEO Joshua L. (Josh) Collins. All 18 reviews are posted anonymously by Blount International employees.