Blue Cross (MI)

Blue Cross (MI) Reviews

Updated Jul 08, 2014

Blue Cross (MI) President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp

Daniel J. Loepp

Pros
  • Large company with great benefits and salaries(in 14 reviews)

• Competitive pay, good benefits after being hired in as a full time employee(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunities for advancement unless you get buddy-buddy with management and discuss your personal life with leadership(in 3 reviews)

• Upper management gives the impression they are too good for lower level employees(in 4 reviews)

Great company, great atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsFocused on employee development and serving customers. Work within the community was a great focus as well.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and keep focusing on developing associates.

Compliance Analyst

Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsThis is great place to put some good experience under your belt and learn the business. Downtown is a decent place to work and taxes aren't bad.

ConsI don't know where to begin. The culture is toxic. I actually made some really good friends, learned a lot and really built up my resume. But it cost me - mind body and spirit! If you have another option - take the other. You have been warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who understand strategy, not just "round peg into round hole" mentality.

A Great Place to Grow

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsVacation/PTO is good, benefits are great especially if you complete the Health Assessment items, work-schedule for the most part is flexible as long as you get 40 hrs in the week, many departments allow their workers to work-from-home when necessary and also semi-regularly, average employment length is 12 years so you shouldn't have to stress about losing your job, many company-sponsored perks are available for businesses throughout Michigan, salary ranges are very large so you could be a lower level employee with a very high salary, & comped gym membership.

ConsContractors typically get the more interesting projects, as it is a very large company change can be difficult, documentation of processes can get so difficult because of politics whole departments have been created simply for this function, & managers are typically hired from outside the company so the best chance lower-level employees have is to leave for a couple years and then come back to apply for managerial positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower-level employees can always tell when managers are keeping all the projects and news close to their chest. Delegation and communication are very important for employees to feel as though they are connected to their jobs and they are growing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfactory for an intern

Diversity and Inclusion (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsVery easy and relaxed hours. Slow paced.

ConsLots of office politics. Diversity is not valued as much as other companies

No growth here for hard work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsSecurity & stability, mediocre growth

Consred tape , politics , discrimination , tough to grow in the org, growth depends on who you know & whether your immediate manager knows you well on personal level

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease update your employee performance review process

Facilitates growth and creativity but do not respect contractors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment at BCBSM facilitates creativity, team work and growth. I really liked working there and on different projects. I was given space to work and put in processes that made a difference.

ConsI was a contractor and they give contractor's less respect. I was a project manager/delivery lead and I brought projects in on-time with no quality issues as well as under budget and I yet I was put down in front of team members by my manager. He even made comments about my looks and called me darling one time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do you have managers in place who made derogatory comments to employees and abuse power. Apart from the manager, all team member and other teams I worked for were great to work for and with.

Great

ProsEverything...salary, benefits, career advancement, location..I love it

ConsI can't find anything negative to say

Old Fashioned, but First Class Benefits

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsBCBSM still offers pensions and, as you would expect, full benefits to its employees. They also have cash incentives for completing health and wellness activities. There are some wonderful people working here. Lots of diversity, depending on the department. We had potlucks and parties for holidays. Despite the fact that I don't approve of CEO Dan Loepp's political agenda and strategy in terms of BCBSM's relationship with the city of Detroit, he is great at communicating with employees. You always feel in the know on the latest company news and impacts of healthcare reform on BCBSM.

ConsI worked in an IT area, and it constantly seemed like we were just fighting the next fire. The review process is kind of a joke. Managers don't have or make time to develop their people, even if they'd like to. They're too busy doing damage control. My department burned out even the brightest people before within a few years. In an environment like this, the lazy/ mediocre people really thrive, because management has its "go-to" people who do the lions' share of work. The lazy people can float along doing the bare minimum, and counting the years 'til they retire and get that pension.

There is a preference for staff augmentation in IT, and many of the consultants are young Indians looking for a start. I think that's great, but they are often contracted through companies like Strategic Staffing Solutions. I worked for S3 for awhile, and all they do for you is write a check and take a huge chunk of your bill rate. Dan Loepp calls this "development" and "putting Detroit to work." It's not. Because of S3's deal with BCBSM, their screening process is non-existent (there is no incentive to staff well, since BCBSM has to give preference to S3 employees). This means that if you're a legit employee, you're surrounded by a lot of incompetent people. If you're a hiring manager, your hands are tied and a lot of time is wasted interviewing and hiring and firing unqualified people.

If you're going to work here, get an internal position or come in as a consultant with a very reputable company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting your best "doers" to management. Let the managers manage--- they can't develop people if they are carrying the workload of 5 employees.

Company is struggling and not getting better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsThe company has great benefits, encourages health and wellness with competitions and incentives, and the workers (under manager-level) are usually hard-working and easy to partner with.

Cons(1) Management does not "care" what SME's below them have to say. The buzz word is "empowerment" but that does not translate to real life. Directors and above will make decisions negatively impacting their teams' ability to do their jobs - not giving them the system support they need for example - and impeding customer experience. However, they do this with incomplete information because they don't take the time to ask their "underlings" about the impact.

(2) The IT teams that the business areas have to work with are, in general, horrible. They are slow, develop incorrect processes, and seem to have no pride in their work. In the years I have been there I have yet to see them complete a project. It doesn't help that the business leadership mantra is "get it up and fix it later" which gives IT a pass in owning their work and doing something of quality.

(3) There has been a lot of talk in the last 3-5 years about competing with other plans. But, it's a lot of talk and not a lot of action. When ideas are given, leadership will shoot them down or deny funding. Management is so busy covering themselves or looking for that next rung on the ladder that they will not try new things.

(4) Hard work does not pay off. In my area, some of the least productive people have been promoted to managers because they don't make waves - approve everything without question. The most productive people who work hard to make project work, end on time, etc. are punished for being "roadblocks" if they question anything or point out that a process does not work and should not be approved.

(5) The first few years I was at the company were wonderful. People worked together, managers worked with their teams instead of for themselves, directors were approachable, and teamwork was valued on the projects. Since then, it has become a miserable place to work. People are out for themselves, afraid to think outside the box or "shine" for fear of getting their hand slapped. You don't know who you can trust, so friendships are few and far between. Add on to that the commute to the Ren Cen (every morning very crabby people are in the elevator complaining about it), the poor parking, the lack of safety, etc. and it's a stressful, angry place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to trust your people and realize you're not always the smartest person in the room. If they tell you something is a good idea and can back it up with a business impact - believe them. If someone tells you a project is failing, instead of blaming your hard workers, determine how you can support them - even if that means going to battle for them. You will get more out of your people and be more successful if your people know you have their back.

Do not reward teammates who are cruel to others and don't be cruel yourself. If one or more people regularly leave your staff meetings in tears, there is an issue.

Stop spending so much money on consultants to tell you what to do to grow your area. I bet if you asked your own people they could tell you the same things - what is working, what isn't, what our competitors are doing better, and what the business trends are. What your team knows that the consultants do not is how your systems work, what your customers have asked for, and what your members expect.

Stop forcing your people to do things like outings, picnics, walks, etc. as if we're friends. We're not. The atmosphere is toxic - address that first. Then, you won't have to force people to do things as a team - we will want to support each other and you.

Decent Pay and Great Benefits / Somewhat dysfunctional leadership team

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsBCBSM provides a fairly good work environment and provides for a level of work life balances in most functions. The company is poised for growth as it sheds legacy health care regulation and moves forward as a non-profit mutual insurer. This growth is sure to provide some level of opportunities for employees.

ConsBCBSM could be a great company but is paralyzed by its inability to make decisions. The company operates in a fashion that is reminiscent of the American autos prior to stiff competition from foreign automakers. The inability to make tough decisions in the near term will cause the company to make even more difficult decisions in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransition to proactive management rather than reactive management and make decisions that show that we are good stewards of a great company.

Worked for Blue Cross (MI)? Contribute to the Community!