Bon Appetit Reviews

Updated 7 October 2014
Updated 7 October 2014
3.2

CEO

Can be horrible or great.

Former Employee - Catering Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Bon Appetit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Farm to fork program, sustainable solutions. The pay was okay and benefits were acceptable. Hourly staff was wonderful to work with. The food is very creative and tasted great. Had opportunity to try foods that would not been able to otherwise.

Cons

Horrible management team, disrespectful, and threats of bodily injury were common. The Gm, operations manager and executive chef were like a high school click. Verbal abuse was a daily occurrence. When HR was notified about the hostile environment, I was dismissed because of " customer complaints". When in fact I was let go because I stood up to the three jerks that were in charge and the college wanted to save money. To this day no one has been hired to replace me. Our clients told us what they wanted but the chef refused to make it without making it with some obscure ingredient added to it.

Learn how to be part of a team and listen to other people. Our clients should be the most important thing, not the egos of the chef and operations manager.

A great job for a student worker

Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Northfield, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Northfield, MN (US)

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours that allowed you to work around almost any schedule. Great people who help develop many crucial job market skills

Cons

Set in a college so the atmosphere was as you'd expect. Poor communication skills when it came to new information.

Outside the box look to management skills in a company

Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food industry experience, Learning different types of food and how the maintenance keep the establishment neat

Cons

Different professional environment than an artistic environment

Well oiled machine

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time

Pros

Bon appetit has a certain way of doing things, and if you have good leadership that can communicate that process, things work beautifully.

Cons

If the leadership is sub par, or isn't communicating properly, it makes the collaborative environment break down. Certain people will start pulling more weight than others, and nobody's happy.

Give high fives. Increase communication across different moving parts.

Director of Catering

Former Employee - Catering Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Bon Appetit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company values and commitment in material and top corporate management. Enormous opportunity to grow as you progress through your career. I enjoyed working with peers from other locations on larger events.

Cons

Some management is not fully committed to company values. I believe there should be random drug tests; including managers.

Listen to employees; really look at how hard they are working

Be prepared to have good days and bad days. Certain chefs can be a bit bipolar at times!

Current Employee - Server, Porter in Berrien Springs, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Server, Porter in Berrien Springs, MI (US)

I have been working at Bon Appetit part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Stable hours. You don't have to worry about too much variability in your paycheck, which is good for budgeting.
    - Clean and safe environment.
    - Not too fast paced most of the time.

Cons

- Benefits at my location were horrible. The only "benefit" was 40% off of a single meal after working 12 hours. When you're not getting too many hours, that benefit leaves a lot to be desired! On top of barely earning above the minimum wage, the benefit is basically negligible.
    - Lack of "community" feeling. Upper management has no interest in knowing non full-time employees. I still don't understand how you can't call someone by their name when you have a nametag on!
    - Chefs at my location are either nice, or complete jerks (for no reason whatsoever!). You kind of have to learn who to stay away from.

Be more friendly to the workers! Take five seconds out of your "busy" day spent in the executive office and ask workers how they're doing, if they had a good weekend, etc. Make the working experience a little more enjoyable!

Unfriendly and rude management, unfair and biased dealings

Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Food Server/Cashier in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Bon Appetit part-time (less than an year)

Pros

meal coupons, friendly coworkers, easy to learn work.

Cons

Too much physical work, less opportunity to move forward. Inflexible working hours.

be more humane and staff centric

Mediocre job with okay benefits and low pay.

Current Employee - Barista in Northfield, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in Northfield, MN (US)

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of time off (unpaid) as the restaurant is only staffed minimally during summer and time off for students (you get two weeks off for Christmas, spring break, etc). The work is not hard and the place is always staffed well enough to deal with the students - it is very fast paced.

Cons

It is disorganized, and the pay is not good. The pay seems okay, however with all the time off it makes your annual income sadly low. The benefits are only okay and if you don't hold an office position you pay more on them so you can have them through the summer.

Be professional and take employees behaving badly seriously. It is frustrating for people that work hard every day to see others not doing anything or constantly getting in trouble and not getting written up or fired.

Review

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Bon Appetit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly enviroment, loyal employees, excellent CEO, ambitious, promotes group work, appreciates it's employees and it's human resources, provide training and opportunities to grow, experts in the field of food and beverages, aiming to keep up with the increasing competion through upgrading their branches and giving them a new look in all aspects from A to Z.

Cons

branches need upgrading, jobs in the company require skill and effeciency as they deal with food so a single mistake can ruin it's reputation.

always evaluate your employees regularly, provide training, appreciate the hard workers and work on improving the lesser skilled worker.

a drone

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bon Appetit

Pros

If you find the right mentor this can be a rewarding experience

Cons

Riddled with nepotism
    Mundane work
    Too much down time

mentoring is a verb, it requires action