Boots Reviews

Updated 27 October 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 22 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues (in 10 reviews)

• poor management, little training, poor work life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience working in Boots Support Office has been really good. I join two years ago as a Recruitment Administrator in the Recruitment Service Center where I was able to develop my skills in various roles I undertook within only a year working in this area. I then moved into the HR Co-ordinator role, which I found particularly interesting due to the complexity of this role. I realise how many, various and interesting opportunities there are in Boots Head Office and there is plenty of room for development and training.

Cons

I don't have any negative comments so far.

Keep up the good work!

Graduate Boots Pharmacist

Current Employee - Graduate Pharmacist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Pharmacist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Actual experience in working as a healthcare professional where you will be given the opportunity to progress and execute skills obtained throughout your academic journey.

Cons

Shift work, will always begin as a relief Pharmacist meaning you will be placed at different stores, but this could be a huge asset in finding your feet, gaining experience and learning as much as you can in a less pressured environment.

Great people who all pull together (in Store) but the budgets for staff are so out of touch

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely environment
    Good training
    Development opportunities
    Fantastic perks
    Good discount
    Was never a chore going into work, as the people who worked there knew that it was a team effort.

Cons

Not enough staff
    Lots of pressure on low paid workers due to this
    Pay is not great
    Long hours and not enough FTE mean that quite often the store has long queues. Also sticking to old contract perks (like term time only contracts) no longer work in a retail environment

Review budgets on staff -- targets can't be hit if you don't have enough people on the shop floor

Good fun

Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part is the fun team that I got to work with. Another good advantage is that stores have many opportunities for extra shifts during busy periods. I found it is easy to move between role quite easily on the shop floor. Furthermore, for the job I think the pay is better than most other similar jobs.

Cons

Potential for increase in responsibility is low.

Keep up the good ethics.

Great company

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, staff discount, company credo and ethics, putting customer at the heart of everything we do is something that all employees focus on and is clear through all of our work.

Cons

Salary is lower than some pepper companies. Holidays are fewer than other companies. We have to pay to park in Nottingham

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is good, and it is a sociable job/role to work in. It's always good to know about the up-coming products and be the first to know all about them. Staff are extremely friendly.

Cons

Dislike standing all day - breaks are unpaid. Long hours without seating, managers can come across negative. No communication between managers, some do not know how to do their job properly - a number of occasions I haven't been paid correctly/extra duty not accounted for.

just ok

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good holidays and discount offers having the right manager who you get along with and feel like you can approach makes a big difference to your working day

Cons

one person doing 10 jobs no time for customer service everyone under pressure all of the time rates of pay not good esp for time served employees uniforms are not very nice and its hard work getting new ones . hours do not suit my family life and i find it a big challenge

come into shops and spend time on shop floor maybe talking to staff and customers seeing how a shop works not thinking they are royalty when they come to visit as it is the staff that do all the hard work for boots in bringing the customers into the shop and locking them in with us there is never no rewards or gratitude for what we do ,

great

Current Employee - Dispenser in Girvan, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Dispenser in Girvan, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

friendly company with good pay and bonuses for noticing the staffs roles

Cons

very busy and would be nice to have a bit more time with the customer

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Healthcare Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Healthcare Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly and helpful managers, were very considerate about my disability (arthritis in wrists), for example allowing me to perform different tasks on days when I was experiencing pain.

Cons

I would like to be able to take more frequent (but shorter) breaks, e.g. 3 x 20min breaks instead of having to take 1 hour.
    I do not like the fact that if you have to void something during a transaction (which is almost always beyond your control, e.g if a customer changes their mind about buying an item) the company sees this as a loss and you get in trouble. It isn't a loss at all if the item hasn't even left the premises!
    As a nil hours employee who still works pretty often I would like to be entitled to a staff discount card!

I started as a Sales Assistant but also trained on the No7 mini badge and am a trained Healthcare Advisor... it would be nice if this sort of thing would be reflected in your hourly rate as it increased my workload/ expectations from managers, with no recognition of this!

A great few years.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked that the management were always there for you as an individual and were always helping you improve and learn by giving you regular feedback. I felt that in the last two years I have really developed for example my social skills and my attitude to criticism and knock backs for example if a customer was not satisfied with a product or not interested what you were trying to sell. I felt that they were always trying to improve levels of communication and improve the team. We would often have staff meetings in order to discuss the year and would is well and what isn't.

Cons

Quite a few of my colleagues have found it difficult to get permanent contracts or more hours but the store would hire more people instead of offering more hours to staff, which some would be rather annoyed about.

Try and give people more hours especially if they are good staff and willing to work.