Boots Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
3.3

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected (in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Lovely people

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at boots for 2 years whilst studying. I loved it. Great people and I was sad to leave.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about my experience

Keep it up!

Very good employer, excellent workplace.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Eastbourne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Eastbourne, England (UK)

I worked at Boots as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Ability to be creative and express ideas. Opportunity to progress and take part in training.

Cons

Long hours and unwilling to be flexible. Little work-life balance.

Ensure that student employees are not required to work excessively when studying for exams when they have given plenty of advance that this will be the case.

Good company, chance for growth.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work life balance was good, chance for promotions to hard workers, good benefits and perks, especially in discounts and free products occasionally given out.

Cons

Starting to be a little more micro-managed which is never a good thing, the pay is sub-par and should be better. The software is horribly outdated.

The company changes a lot which leads to confusion and disappointment on the Customer Support Centre floor through lack of communication.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great atmosphere, positive vibe, questionable pay vs. expectations

Former Employee - Customer Assistant
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy helping people then the vibe is great, customers are usually on board, people attracted to the position (colleagues) are typically good people. Lots of tasks and variety in jobs undertaken. Decent enough progression prospects.

Cons

As with all retail the slightly above minimum wage sometimes isn't enough for the extra duties, extra hours or the customers you have to deal with.

Better compensation packages for the customer assistants and lower-on-the-rung staff members.

It was really pride to work for one of those standard companies

Former Employee - Team Manager III  in  Wrexham, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Manager III in Wrexham, Wales (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It has rich corporate values equipped with great standards of workplace. The environment was so friendly to work with and definitely / highly recommended place to work.

Cons

I am sorry, I could not find any cons during my work with Boots.

Remunerations needs to be considered and should be on par with the standard of the company.

Good company

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

I like how you are your own manager.

Cons

It can be difficult to get your bonuses

I showed willing and wanted to advance within the company, unfortunately I felt this was taken advantage off.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Trainee Assistant Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Trainee Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was given the opportunity to undertake workplace training with the company, to become Assistant Manager.
    I was given opportunity to work on several departments increasing my knowledge quickly.
    The team I worked with were brilliant and made me feel very welcome, esspecially as I had just moved to a new city.
    Over my time I had 2 direct managers, one really knew how to manage and work with a team setting objective and goals, as a result I felt motivated and adequately challenged in my role.
    The reason I was drawn to this job was for the customer interactions and being able to provide this to the best of my ability.

Cons

Due to the retail nature there was a 2 month period over Christmas where no holiday was permitted, to me this seemed a little excessive.
    I was oftered training to develop after only 3 months with the company, however I was told I was able to start Jan, then told this was full so would be April. April came and having asked for any updates regularly nothing was forthcoming, eventally told late May (almost 2 months after it was due to start) it would be starting in July, not further details given until late June, days before due to start.
    Over my time with the company I had 2 direct managers, one of whom I felt didnt display very good team leadership, I was often left feeling I was doing badly and very unmotivated as the quantity of tasks delegated without support was not reasonable.
    Due to regular cutbacks staffing got tighter and tigher meaning every day was a real challenge. I began to feel very much that just the basis were being done and the customer was suffering. The store looked messy and unloved.
    I felt very taken advantage of, as I has shown interest in development and was told I could train as assistant manager there was an expactation for me to constantly do overtime with do reward (time/pay), while I accepted as an assistant manager this would be the case I was not yet undertaking training and wasnt carrying out any roles related.

Consider exatly what you are asking of your staff, they want to do well but there are boundries to what can be achieved in a set amount of time.
    Also cut backs in my experince has on occasion left in imossible to carry duties to the regulations set by the company.

Just a job

I worked at Boots

Pros

Paid the bills, colleagues friendly

Cons

poor management, little training, poor work life balance

Fun, Friendly if a bit unorganised.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Southport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Southport, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

The training is very good and the atmosphere in the store is great the staff i work with are usually happy and cheery and exceptional at customer service. Management are approachable and friendly and they do well to assess the targets, sales of the store. The rate of pay is excellent in comparison to similar roles and as a customer assistant i do a lot more than simply serve customers (which i personally see as a positive as i hope to carry on a career as a manager in retail so i see this as preparation for a future career path)

Cons

In my case i have often gone unpaid and have been given little to no opportunities to do extra duties and expand my career with the company. As part time staff i sometimes feel i receive little recognition compared to full time staff and often feel like a 'weekend boy' despite the massive hours and contributions i have made to the store in the past. I have asked for a transfer to a more local store for 12 months now and little has been done and i am currently awaiting compensation for lock ups and extra duties. The store is often understaffed at a weekend to save money which means i go above and beyond my duties which is often under appreciated.

More time needs to be put aside to deal with the staffs issues as not being paid is simply unacceptable, i am not a charity and as a student depend on my wage more than most. Management needs to realise that understaffing the store is not 'saving money' as a store requires a certain amount of members (differentiating depending on size/services) to run effectively and scraping by on bare minimum is noticeable to customers in terms of service and staff availability which is likely to result in losing money due to lack of return sales.

Mostly depends on the area of the company you work in

I have been working at Boots for more than a year

Pros

General staff are nice, friendly and good to work with, pay is above minimum wage, which is less common than you'd think and the staff discount and holiday allowance are nice too.

Cons

on tills the only downside really is the odd unpleaseant customer, but that kinda comes with the territory to be fair.
    on ops, however, its a different story, managers suddenly become laden with hypocrisy and seem to look for any excuse to say you arent good enough, seemingly no matter what you do or how hard you work.
    to sum, tills good, ops very bad.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!