Booz Allen Hamilton

2,241 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,350 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Work experience

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Nice enough place to work

Cons

You need to know how to play politics

Great resume builder

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depth and breadth of experience
    Strong introduction to business world
    Helps you learn your strengths and weaknesses
    Make your own path to leadership and management positions

Cons

Must be into sales and contract negotiations if you want to survive and move up in the firm.

People are great! Fun company to work for.

Current Employee - GIS Technician in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - GIS Technician in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Benefits are great and overall pay is too. Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

The company is becoming very large therefore you tend to feel like a number rather than an asset.

Consider discussing company values.

Working for Booz PRE-Carlyle Buy-Out

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You felt like you were one of the elite; working for one of the best companies in the market, a company that was very selective about who it hired. The compensation was fair. The benefits were awesome - especially the 401K and training. Leadership knew you and you knew leadership. Career development was the mantra for taking care of staff. The annual assessments were constructive and critical; there might be some hard pills to swallow in the debrief but the information was typically spot-on and was meant to help you grow as a professional.

Cons

Seemed as if climbing the ladder above Senior Associate required someone to retire, die, and/or have testicles - and it required breakfast, lunch, and dinner meetings on a regular basis to "socialize" your career progression. Many of the social events included drinking or golf - what if you didn't like those? They did have a part time track for work-life balance, but that usually meant earning 75% of your prior pay for the ability to answer emails and requests from home and your workload didn't seem to diminish. I fault the very senior leadership for selling out to Carlyle and ruining what had been a great company. Principals and Senior Associates asked if they could buy company stock to help raise money for the "Booz & Company" folks who wanted out of Booz Allen Hamilton and we were told NO. Bad decision.

From what I hear, Booz is now just another Beltway Bandit. P&L are taking precedence over quality deliver and quality staff care because the "P" is expected to be much larger than it had been in the past. To regain the reputation of old, refocus on staff care and quality delivery. Lose the multiple layers of management and "bean counting" that takes staff away from client delivery.

Great place to work once you come to terms with the culture.

Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Honolulu, HI (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, a wealth of knowledge and experience in the company, mentors are at every turn, culture is aimed at developing and growing employees.

Cons

When I first showed up to work I noticed immediately I was by far the youngest person around. I thought at first that was normal but then I noticed more and more over my next 4 years that there is some age discrimination. Not in hiring or blatant but it exists. I was passed over as the lead on projects multiple times by people who were just as, or even less, qualified than I was but they were older. They claim to be a "flat" organization but the hierarchy is very clear. Because most of the staff is former military the culture subsequently became a very militaristic type work environment. In most ways it was good but it did not allow for a lot of chances to disagree or challenge the status quo without being seen as a troublemaker.

Listen to the young people. I promise you that if you give them autonomy and responsibility they will take the firm to places it has never been before. We used to be a top dog but now we are seen as that old dog who has picked his spot with government and waits for its scraps. We have a group called the Strategic Innovation Group, they have not innovated a thing, ever! They take other peoples ideas and try to build on them. You CANNOT innovate sitting in McLean, VA you need to embrace tech and changing times and go out and find the next big thing that is going to put you back on the map!

Solid company for US jobs, but overseas jobs are more about schmoozing and less about competency.

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary, mentorship, and camaraderie within the company for your use. Excellent personnel to work with and/or supervision.

Cons

While overseas, the mentorships don't work because of time delays, distance, etc. Often feel alone with no direction.

If you make a requirement for US positions, need to ensure a suitable not strict compliance for overseas jobs.

Sr Consultant/ cyber Security Engineer

Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great benefits. if you're proted you get an extra weeks vacation.

Cons

Salaried & expected to work over 40 hours a week without extra pay, but cuts your pay if you're under hours.Hard workers arent always recognized.

Think of employees more instead of managements own advancement.

A very well connected and interactive company with a diverse workforce

Current Employee - QA Manager in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Manager in El Segundo, CA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are encouraged and empowered to invent, think outside the box to suggest/provide new products and services to clients.

Cons

Engineer career track doesn't have good career progression for senior experts wanting to continue to increase responsibilities/compensation towards the end of a career.

Good Company for Government Consulting

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Great work-life balance
    If placed on them - interesting projects that will keep your mind stimulated
    All of my colleagues have been very nice and exceptionally bright people

Cons

Can be placed in not-so-demanding or dull work depending on the client

Great place to work

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Flexible work schedule; competitive benefits; caring, thoughtful leadership; quality of peers/staff is impressive

Cons

Different teams/sectors drive leadership; client environment will greatly impact morale-- good clients = good morale

1. Continue to ensure visibility and transparency. 2. Understand there are industry best practices being adopted, but be careful not to get rid of those benefits and qualities that make Booz Allen attractive to top talent

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos