Booz Allen Hamilton

3.4 2,052 reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,259 ratings)

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance (in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights
2,052 Employee Reviews

Work experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice enough place to work

ConsYou need to know how to play politics

Still a Good Place to Work

Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExcellent Work/Life balance.
    Benefits are very good.
    Career advancement is clearly defined.
    Up to $5,000/year in training allowance.

ConsMay need to relocate to find a new project, that is the nature of contracting work.
    After 30-years they have done away with their 10% bonus plan. Now it is a 401k with matching up to 6%.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to offices outside the DC area.

Awesome

ProsEmployee Development is the best Ive seen.

ConsNone yet to be concerned about.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Superior Administrative Professional Team

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Annapolis Junction, MD (US)

ProsLocations across the country in places one would not expect.
    Generous salary
    Access to technology and education

ConsOne huge organization with small "independently operated businesses" makes for potentially shady performance evaluations.
    Business model was inconsistent across the country

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and remain accountable for your entire team, not just revenue-producing team members.

Promotes engaging, creative work with strong reach back support and flexible work options. All round very satisfied.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsThe company has an excellent culture of sharing intellectual capital, collaboration,and mentorship. Salaries and benefits are still better than competitors, and I really feel valued in my job. Leadership is good and stable; people you actually look up to.

ConsThe firm is moving from a pure consulting firm to a personal services firm and is not diversifying outside the government sector fast enough to mitigate the risk of a shrinking government. Benefits are also reducing more and more every year to stay competitive. Somewhat to be expected after going public and the downturn in the economy, but still unsettling.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a firm that prides itself on its change experts, leadership does need to do a better job on socializing change internally and being transparent on the decisions they make to stay competitive in the market. They also need to be more bullish about getting into new markets, particularly the energy and financial industries.

Interesting work, supporting national decision makers. Plenty of training opportunities available.

Associate/Cyber Policy Analyst (Former Employee) Fort George G Meade, MD (US)

ProsPay was competitive within the industry and location. Promotions were good up until the federal shut-down which impacted lots of current and future business.

Cons"Strategic wins" for new business resulted in pay cuts, pay freezes, and terminations. In order to be promotable employees have to be fully billable and put in additional time (sometimes up to 20+ hours a week) working on various internal projects.

Internship Review

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Annapolis Junction, MD (US)

ProsThe company is very flexible and has great opportunities for moving up the ladder. There are many young people in the company, and there is a lot of opportunity to travel.

ConsDo not expect to have your own office unless you are a higher up because the company has a strict hoteling policy.

Good introduction to corporate management consulting, but too many contractor assignments

Senior Consultant Level II (Former Employee) Rockville, MD (US)

ProsEnergetic and dedicated colleagues
    Split management - project managers do not control your career advancement
    Great way to experience government offices without going through government hiring and at a much better pay rate

ConsMost positions are contracting assignments where you fill a standard role within a government organization (not consulting to solve specific problems and then moving on to the next client)
    Pressure to be billable seemed to be ever increasing

Very rewarding

ProsNice place to work. Large corporate structure that does a lot of community work. Most of the client base is the government.

ConsWhen your contract the contract is up you are working on and it's not renewed with the client, you need to look for other opportunities. Sometimes they can be found, and sometimes they cannot.

Advice to Senior Managementthey are doing the best they can.

Great managers

Associate (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsGreat tuition assistance, front line management really heard my voice and pushed for me, whether it was on a project or I needed something internally from corporate. It was very mom-friendly/family friendly, and I enjoyed attending diversity organization events and company efforts for community causes. Management really wants you to be happy and champions your requests.

ConsA lot of unpaid overtime for company/personal-related administrative tasks that must be completed. As a billable employee you always have to make sure you hit your numbers. Can be pretty stressful, especially if you have administrative duties on a project which you cannot bill to the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the "why" of initiatives to the workforce.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!