Booz Allen Hamilton

2,222 Reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader
Ralph W. Shrader
1,340 Ratings

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support (in 295 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The Work Life Balance that it promises is often not the reality (in 114 reviews)

• It is not uncommon for a person to be hired and then let go in a few months for "lack of work" (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Work experience

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

Nice enough place to work

Cons

You need to know how to play politics

Working for Booz PRE-Carlyle Buy-Out

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You felt like you were one of the elite; working for one of the best companies in the market, a company that was very selective about who it hired. The compensation was fair. The benefits were awesome - especially the 401K and training. Leadership knew you and you knew leadership. Career development was the mantra for taking care of staff. The annual assessments were constructive and critical; there might be some hard pills to swallow in the debrief but the information was typically spot-on and was meant to help you grow as a professional.

Cons

Seemed as if climbing the ladder above Senior Associate required someone to retire, die, and/or have testicles - and it required breakfast, lunch, and dinner meetings on a regular basis to "socialize" your career progression. Many of the social events included drinking or golf - what if you didn't like those? They did have a part time track for work-life balance, but that usually meant earning 75% of your prior pay for the ability to answer emails and requests from home and your workload didn't seem to diminish. I fault the very senior leadership for selling out to Carlyle and ruining what had been a great company. Principals and Senior Associates asked if they could buy company stock to help raise money for the "Booz & Company" folks who wanted out of Booz Allen Hamilton and we were told NO. Bad decision.

From what I hear, Booz is now just another Beltway Bandit. P&L are taking precedence over quality deliver and quality staff care because the "P" is expected to be much larger than it had been in the past. To regain the reputation of old, refocus on staff care and quality delivery. Lose the multiple layers of management and "bean counting" that takes staff away from client delivery.

The Titanic of the DC Metro Area

Current Employee - Lead Technologist in Herndon, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Technologist in Herndon, VA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Big, shiny object on your resume
    - Lots of firm-wide emails meant to boost your morale about the latest benefit cut
    - Hoteling implementation has led to lots of Working From Home (avoiding the treacherous DC area commute)
    - Still buys out Kings Dominion once a year for Employee Appreciation Day (amazingly this perk has outlived quality health care plans)

Cons

- A sinking giant in Federal "Consulting" in full cost-cutting mode after recent IPO. The stock is doing well b/c the employees aren't.
    - Extremely poor raises (promotion and non-promotion) in the last 2+ years
    - Reduction of once amazing 401k program to slightly above average 401k program
    - Change to all high deductible health plans (with super high premiums) and emails from management about how this is a good thing
    - Switched to the full Federal holiday schedule which resulted in zero floating holidays (was 2), no Black Friday holiday, and a reduction in PTO.
    - Ability to switch projects not on par with other true consulting firms (lots of boring staff augmentation type roles with little mobility)
    - Top talent leaving the firm to work at better places.
    - Changes structure/organization/quirky catch phrase ALL the time - seriously why even try any more?
    - All of the above is resulting in the firm losing its prestige and sinking QUICKLY. Booz Allen used to be a very respected place to to build your career, now its just...a place to work until you find something else.

Sell the company now and cash out while you can - this sucker is going down with you "titans of industry" at the wheel!

Booz Allen has been a great place to work; benefits have taken a plunge

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teams have a strong work ethic and peers are outstanding. Booz Allen has incredible client delivery which helps bring more business in. Employees have the ability to learn the full lifecycle of managing government contracts which is very valuable.

Cons

Administrative burden is excessive. It's challenging to find proper work/life balance. Job security is a non-issue during contract period but finding billable work can spike anxiety levels.

Employees are responsible for the outstanding client delivery. Don't reward exceptional work by diluting what had been amazing benefits. The switch to Consumer Driven Health Plans (high premiums / high deductibles) is taking a toll on employee motivation.

Overall, my experience at BAH has been fantastic so far.

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

The Atlanta Team has so many bright, driven people that bring out the best in each other to really produce high quality work. Every single one of the projects I have been involved in and know about are so cool and very rewarding.

While I will credit some of this to luck, I was lucky enough to be part of a great management team that really cares about my future and helping me grow.

Cons

While most of the benefits are good, it would be nice if Management could increase tuition assistance to match that of the rising tuition costs at schools. This would also allow for more certifications and training to invest in your employees.

Also, I think that the end of year bonus system needs to be improved. Currently, unless you Sr. Management directly bringing in business for you team, you don't get any kind of annual bonuses.

The new Consumer Driven Health Plans are a step down from the previous plans in my opinion, but I think this is a nationwide hit across almost all businesses due to the new healthcare laws, so I don't hold this against BAH.

Good experience overall and good coworkers

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Red Bank, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Red Bank, NJ (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, although they are taking them away now. They used to give 10% of your salary bonus to 401k. now they match, which still isn't bad. Vacation time isn't bad. if youre there for 5 years you get quite a bit. I like the flexibility in logging in your time dependent on your boss. some contracts only allow you to work 40 hrs per week on average during the month so you can work some hours here and there on the weekend and work less during the week, if your project is not too crazy

Cons

bit of bureaucratic stuff because it's a larger company. They don't give a lot for tutition assistance. Covers less than 2 classes of graduate school a year. gave the same amount for 10 years. tution has been going up. not really an engineering company, although the management and career paths are changing.

allow employees to attend conferences and don't penalize them for it by making them make up the time.

Strong public sector company expanding into selected commercial markets

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

career growth, learning, leadership, work/life balance

Cons

distributed workforce makes it harder to be in the right place to take advantage of opportunities

Student Consultant Position

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

team oriented, tools available to learn the BAH way, very positive culture

Cons

I was just a student consultant. I was an unpaid position. No cons from my experience.

A sad decline

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The caliber of people was outstanding throughout my career with Booz Allen. The skills, experiences and professional drive of most individuals was what you would only find in any other company's highest performers. Work quality was likewise of the highest caliber and there was an enormous amount of forward thinking within the firm.

Cons

When a global asset management groups purchases a services partnership with minimal real estate and other tangible assets, guess where the savings are generated from? Bueller Bueller? Anyone? Anyone? The fundamental shift in business strategy from high quality consultancy to staff augmentation caused exceptionally high turnover of the best people. Most of my colleagues and leadership were actively looking for new companies when I left and were sharing networks, recruiter contacts and job listings.

Used to be Great Company

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined this company believing in the line "delivering results that endure." However, I quickly realized that what endures is the greed of the partners. The benefits used to be great until they decided to shift the burden on employees, and now you pay high health care premiums. For example, for a family coverage, you paid $281 monthly, but as of January 1, 2015- same coverage is $465. The opportunities to grow professionally are there, but at what cost?

Cons

The work-life balance is an oxymoron, because it is usual to work 60 hours and be required to officially record 40 hours per week. Remember, if you record 60 hours, the client's isn't paying for that and you will blow the budget out the water. Unfortunately, leadership used to be great but now isn't there. People are overworked and underpaid. I know people who've left the firm and gained 30% pay increase, some even doubled their salaries.

Be upfront about your intensions for people. Don't screw people over and blame the government buying habits. Don't recruit people who are secure in their current position and offer the jobs, then fire the after 3 months due to LACK OF WORK, throwing their entire families into turmoil.

Booz Allen Hamilton Photos