Boston Consulting Group

Boston Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Boston Consulting Group President and CEO Rich Lesser

Rich Lesser

Pros
  • Great work life-balance on most days (just make sure you get the right manager)(in 25 reviews)

• You will work with very smart people and learn about different industries(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance stinks, variability of assignments has some cons(in 113 reviews)

• Undefined project scope are becoming more common, resulting in long hours of work(in 80 reviews)

Great place to learn and grow!

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsPhenomenal opportunities to work with senior members in client teams and learn business problem solving
    Sharp and driven colleagues to work with

ConsWork-life balance is not very good for most times

Advice to Senior Management-

very poor work culture, extremely hierarchical place and questionable ethical practices

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mumbai

Prosstrong brand name that allows one to quit after 1.5-2 years to do something more meaningful

Consvery poor work culture with extremely poor and ill prepared employees in people/team management roles
    extremely hierarchical organization where dissenting with seniors who have a know-it-all attitude is career suicide
    some people have very dodgy business practices like habitually making false claims and lying to clients and colleagues

Advice to Senior Managementstop relying on the strong international brand name to draw in people desperate to survive for 2 years no matter what to get the brand name on their resumes, do something to actually make the place worth their hard work

Good pay and lots of work

Summer Associate (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsEnthusiastic people, great culture to learn. Awesome canteen and relaxing zones in the office.

ConsWork can be hectic and take away a lot from your life. May have to work on weekends even though it is discouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership can look at better & clearer design of intern's responsibilities on a project.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Very nice people, lots of support available for any kind of work
    -Friday clinics
    -Working in a team was a lot of fun
    -Expenses covered
    -Great compensation

Cons-People whined A LOT about the lack of work life balance
    -Lots of travel, obviously
    -Exit opportunities seem to be a bit oversold
    -Major cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax a bit

Toughest experience of my life, but learned a lot!

Summer Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsLearn quantitative tools
    Present in internal meetings and develop relationships with clients
    Given a lot of responsibility and ownership
    Network with other employees
    Treated like an Associate

ConsNot impressed my intern training
    High expectations
    VERY long hours: Pulled multiple all-nighters
    Sometimes busy work

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure there is atleast two interns are paired on the same case!

Satisfied with the policies & culture

ProsWork culture & people are fantastic

ConsSalary could be more than current

Excellent, could not have asked for more!

Principal (Current Employee) New Delhi

ProsGreat culture, very smart people, best of the best!

ConsNothing comes to the mind

Great learning, great networking, poor work-life balance, increasing office politics

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsVery good exposure to top management in client firms

ConsBad work life balance. Too many lateral recruitment at PL/PL+ levels ruining the "BCG culture". Limited support to people who want to transition. Given an option McK is a better bet.

Great place to learn and grow!

Principal (Current Employee) New Delhi

ProsBCG places a lot of emphasis on personal growth and that is great. Work is interesting, exciting and requires thinking and action. Being successful requires one to think of being a leader.

ConsTravel can be a challenge, but that is part of a consultants life

good company to work.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsBCG is a top employer of recent graduates from MIT,[14] Harvard Business School,[15] Cambridge University,[16] Oxford University,[17][18] Stanford Business School,[19] London Business School,[20] and Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.[21] The firm also attracts a number of Rhodes Scholars and Marshall Scholars. In 2012, newly recruited undergraduate and graduate BCG hires earned a total compensation (salary plus all bonuses) of up to $100,000 and $195,000, respectively.[22][23]

ConsThe experience curve illustrates that the more often a task is performed the lower will be the cost of doing it. The task can be the production of any good or service. Each time cumulative volume doubles, value-added costs (including administration, marketing, distribution, and manufacturing) fall by a constant and predictable percentage.
    BCG founder, Bruce Henderson, expounded the implications of the experience curve for strategy.[26] BCG research concluded that because relatively low cost of operations is a very powerful strategic advantage, firms should capitalize on these learning and experience effects.[27]

Worked for Boston Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!