Boston Properties

Owen D. Thomas

Fantastic company

Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Boston Properties full-time

ProsLoyalty to employees, great work atmosphere. Buildings are the best in class and the company is fair and honest in all it's dealings. Every co-worker I come in contact with is very proud of what we do, how we do it and the results we get.

ConsDress code; ties and jackets required except in the summer. Most of our clients waer "business casual" and sometimes we are "out of place" in our suits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Ok, but could be better

I have been working at Boston Properties full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat 401K, holidays, time off. Health insurance used to be better but that is pretty much everywhere now.
Employee perks are great. Some of the managers are really great to work with.
It is a great company, but some things need to change.

Cons- People that do great are rarely recognized, the recognition always goes to the manager that didn't do anything.
- Won't promote from within to people that deserve it, think that you are nothing without a bachelors degree even though you have more on the job experience than someone who has a bachelors off the street.
- Pile a lot of extra work on without getting paid for what you truly do.
- Pay isn't all that great.
- Micromanagement, higher management treat lower level employees like they don't know what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the lower level people that help your properties run and create a good name for your company. Promote people that truly deserve it, don't hold them back just because of education, on the job experience goes a long way and is valuable as well.

Unappreciated Employees with high workloads

I have been working at Boston Properties full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits; 401K match; 4 weeks vacation; Getting out at 3PM on Fridays during the summer.

ConsPile on work with no added compensation, stuffy men's club mentality, HR is very strict and in your business. No opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to listen to your employees in terms of growth opportunities and possibly hire more to keep the workload manageable for current employees.

Overall experience was OK. Hard to move up quickly.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Boston Properties full-time for more than a year

ProsClass A downtown property exposure

Conshard to move up because serious management not focused on capabilities of admins

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on your employee improvement

Poor management

Property Management (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Boston Properties full-time for less than a year

ProsOverall friendly staff. Most managers competent,

ConsVery conservative, some middle management poor

Advice to Senior Managementlighten up

Corporate company with little opportunity for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boston Properties

ProsWell known in real estate industry, exposure to many departments

ConsDo not promote from within, no opportunity for advancement, annual review process is very time consuming to only have the same result of a very small raise and no title change, office management treats employees like children.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing great employees left and right because they feel under appreciated.

I enjoyed it very much.

I have been working at Boston Properties

Pros- Very pleasant office to work in
- Great guidence from upper management
- Great 401k program
- Salary is great

Cons- I didn't ike how serious it could be at times
- There were really no outlets for creativety
- Some of my co-workers were very unpleasent

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest providing Salarys to all that work at Boston Properties instead of keeping them as hourly employees. They also could take the advice of lower managemnt.

Terrible managers

I have been working at Boston Properties

Pros- nice office space
- successful company who prides themselves at being the best at what they do
- supportive of development and promote within

Consmicromanagers running certain departments. looking at what time you get to your desk, what time you leave for lunch, when you leave for the day, etc. not a laid back envirnoment at all. very stuffy mens club.

Advice to Senior Managementget some good managers in there and make sure people are excited about coming in to work everyday. it would help with the turnover.

Manage your expectations

I have been working at Boston Properties

ProsThe compensation is competitve with the general market. The location is spectacular with many amenities and restaurants nearby. Workload is very reasonable for financial-type firm

ConsCan be overly analytical and slow with regards to personnel promotions/hiring. There tends to be a lot of energy spent for CYA instead of just resolving problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize how much of a solid staff is in place as compared to other firms. Take some time to make the workplace a little more fun.

Company structure skewed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boston Properties

ProsDay to day contacts within company are very nice and professional. Smaller managers are reasonable but can be very different between portfolios. Great amount of time off as well as summer hours. Great place to start out in the property management field.

ConsRed tape is everywhere. Much more focus on policies and procedures than going out and improving assets and retaining tenants. Very clear that it is WHO you know and not WHAT you know that will get you noticed in such a big company. If you don't toot your own horn once in awhile then no one else will. Majority of the employees have the mindset of using the company to get ahead in the field but do not plan on staying with the company for the long haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the great talent that you already have working for you. Give props where props are due. Maybe internal audit should start looking at the managers involved with hiring and I'm not talking about HR.

Worked for Boston Properties? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boston Properties reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Boston Properties CEO Owen D. Thomas. All 15 reviews are posted anonymously by Boston Properties employees.