Boston Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Boston Public Schools Superintendent Carol R Johnson

Carol R Johnson

Wonderful experience, challenging and dynamic

Teacher (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsOpportunity to work with amazing youth in need of excellent support. I also loved collaborating with families and the many 3rd part organizations that work with BPS.

ConsThere is a lot of red tape in BPS especially when it comes to trying to launch new initiatives. This was the most difficult aspect of teaching in BPS for me.

Teacher

ProsSalary, benefits, vacations, opportunity to grow with workshops and course offerings

ConsDifficult populations, constant changes in curriculum etc

Has Issues, but Above Many Urban Districts

Teacher, Elementary School (Current Employee)

ProsIf you find a school that has a vision aligned with your beliefs and a strong leadership team, this can be an amazing place to work.
    * High salaries in comparison to other districts
    * Many types of schools to choose from
    * Amazing kids
    * (Interim) Superintendent McDonough has been making some great shifts in the district culture and policies

Cons* Despite higher salaries, you still have to buy supplies for your own classroom if you want new/quality materials
    * Many children have experienced hardship and need more support and less reactive discipline
    * Can be disorganized or ineffective/inefficient communication between the district and schools
    * Some (though it's getting better because of timely evaluations) tenured teachers are not effective

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough at times, but great place to learn

ProsBoston is a large district so there are many other OTs to learn from. There is also good professional development on a monthly basis. Pay rate is higher than other school districts (but I think we have to work harder too.)

ConsAs an OT, you have to work many more hours than you are paid for and must pay for many things out of pocket. Some of the students have overwhelming needs and there is not the budget to provide the services they deserve...so it can be depressing.

battling with bureaucracy

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsRelatively flexible hours during the low seasons

ConsThere are many people who are not working with passion. Very pessimistic.

Long-term Substitute

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsKids were nice. The pay was good for a sub position.

ConsFacilities were old and generally in poor condition.

Six years

Program Director (Current Employee) Dorchester, MA (US)

ProsPros are Holiday and Summer breaks

ConsCons are Class size and resources

Chaotic and you never know what else is going to be thrown on your plate.

Teacher (Former Employee) Dorchester, MA (US)

ProsPay is better than anywhere else in the state.

ConsIf you don't live in the city, public transportation is not practical, parking is not available, then you will find yourself driving in circles trying to find parking during the winter months.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry one thing at a time, my year working there, 3 different curriculum were tried. Teaching is about ability to takes tests, we all know that, but at least try a program to its end before telling teachers midway to change once again.

It is a great learning experience!

Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsI love working here because I get valuable teaching experience while continuing to learn more about effective practices and interventions for struggling students.

ConsSometimes I am asked to complete the "unwanted" tasks of the teachers such as making copies and completing bulletin boards. Although a huge part of teaching, I would prefer to do this before or after the school day, and not during.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love how we are supported by the special ed. coordinator.

Never a dull moment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThe best reason is paid vacation. No other job will give you as much paid time off and vacation time like jobs at a school.

ConsThere is really no growth in this industry or expanding your career. Some faculty members are beyond what you would call rude.

Worked for Boston Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!