Bottomline Technologies

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled

Digital Designer, Front-End Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsLocation
Benefit package
Bonuses
Potential for company growth
Strong UI/UX team

ConsThe company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. The company needs less of you and more of those in specialized fields.

As short sighted as they come...

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI cannot think of any upside to working at Bottomline other than the potential to fade into the mix so much that you can pretty much just exist and take home your salary in many cases...mainly in Senior and Exec Management.

ConsInnovation (product or market) is NOT a strength, even though it's often talked about.
Strategic thinking is NOT something that is practised.
Enabling employees to be successful is NOT a focus, not matter what field or geography.
Micro management is rife.
Absolutely no appetite to stay the course to achieve success in new or emerging markets.
BT is STRICTLY, almost cripplingly so, a 90 day revenue focussed business and it doesn't care how or where it comes from.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look outside the 4 walls and see how the REAL world, along with your competitors, is evolving.
The business world is passing you by because you arrogantly refuse to keep up.

Worst company that I've ever worked for!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat location, co-workers are great!

ConsCulture is purely toxic. Non revenue generating departments such as human resources have way too much influence on the "producers." Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management. Part of that issue is because no one is empowered at BT. The dysfunction here will eventually bring the company crashing down.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication must be improved. Since they are organized by product lines and verticals, communication between the silos is non-existent and very frustrating. You might also want to reduce the power in those non-revenue generating departments STAT. To have a VP in software development report to a VP in HR is ludicrous.

Many years ago, a great company to work for however the past several proved a toxic environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocation. Nice building but poorly maintained. Previous associates a delight to work with. Decent insurance. The poor reputation of Bottomline and how they drive and abuse their employees helps to open doors to employees searching for a new employer.

ConsDysfunctional overpaid management on many levels lead to high stress, long days/weekends with no gratitude and often insist when you work each holiday that you just take another day off. Like they are doing employees a favor? Salary range is low but compared to unemployment it's reasonable when hired until the workload of three employees is handed over. Like it or leave is their attitude. Overpaid upper management enjoy outrageous bonus levels following a raise freeze and layoffs. Very TOXIC environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an efficiency expert to come in for one week. One week observing will save hundreds of thousands wasted on middle management. Have your remaining managers enroll in training courses and seminars. Threatening and yelling at employees hardly motivates or creates a positive working environment. Better yet, bring Joe back to set the company straight.

Awesome Place To Work

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

ProsGreat People
Moving in forward direction
Truly value every employee within organization

ConsFew and Far between for cons

Don't contract here. Don't expect to be here more than 2 years.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNice building. Lots of work, never boring.They have a great espresso machine in the main kitchen. Great opportunities to learn. Good place to wait out the economic recovery.

ConsAbsolutely horrible culture. There is no real Life/Work balance even so they talk about how great it is all the time. Most permanent employees regularly work 10 hour days just to keep up.

They do not do their homework on mergers. They bought a large portion of Intuit's business but don't even have close to the infrastructure to integrate the group into the company.

Bottomline has a horrible reputation in the area for over work and underpay. I know a couple of very talented technology professionals looking for their next move who won't event consider this company due to their reputation. They currently have about 40 positions right now that they just can't fill. Seems their reputation is catching up with them.

Very telling of the pay scale. They have many VPs and Directors but if you look in the parking lot there are almost no high end cars. Usually tech bosses love their BMWs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that it is not all about the profits. Treat your people with some respect. Pay them what they are worth.

Best company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity is not defined by your job title. Anyone has the ability to make a real impact. The company does a great deal to support employees through difficult personal situations and they have the best benefit package I have experienced.

ConsIt is a fast paced environment unlike any I have ever worked at before. It makes things exciting but it is certainly not the right fit for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just set goals. Ensure the employees below you have some direction on how best to work together to achieve them.

Takes care of its employees

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpper management has a vision, is driving the company forward.

ConsAt times, and in certain departments, very little respect for work life balance. In pursuit of satisfying the largest and most demanding clients, working evenings and weekends are the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff adequately, especially for large deployments, ensure that the teams (including team management) can switch off/trade off to provide the agressive and demanding coverage that the largest customers demand. Burnout risk is high here.

Worst Company to Work for in NH NOT the Best

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat location in Portsmouth, NH.
Seacoast location is excellent
The health, dental and vision benefits are very good compared to other companies

ConsThe organization is like a dysfunctional family that has no direction and employees treat each other with disrespect and rudeness. The company value of working with and for each other is a joke.

The CEO is nick named the "weathervane" because he changes direction so frequently that nothing gets done.

They have a hard time keeping good professional employees due to number of unprofessional employees. The company tolerates the most unprofessional behavior because it starts at the TOP. It is notuncommon to hear yelling, see inappropriate and threatening emails (from management).

I would NOT recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET NEW MANAGEMENT IF YOU WANT THE STOCK TO GET GO BACK UP

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

ProsGrowing company with lots of opportunities for those willing to take ownership and drive things.
No politics between the top level leaders. They support each other and each others groups.
Management cares about their employees and try to do the right thing
Culture is a top priority for all managers in the company. They actual run programs and training to keep the culture going.
Benefits are better than most companies in the area

ConsYou'll need to work hard to keep up with your coworkers here.
If your not working hard you won't last long

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is exploding with growth and so many places loose their culture when this happens. Stay focused on the culture and make sure you keep it as you grow.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Bottomline Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Bottomline is proud of our team-oriented culture. Each day, the way we conduct business is anchored by our Guiding Principles. • Delight Customers • Innovate, Communicate, Win and Grow • Work With and For Each Other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bottomline Technologies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bottomline Technologies CEO Rob Eberle. All 45 reviews are posted anonymously by Bottomline Technologies employees.