Boy Scouts of America
www.scouting.org Irving, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Boy Scouts of America Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Boy Scouts of America – New York – “Entrance”

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock

Wayne Brock

Pros:
  • "As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders"
    in 7 reviews
  • "enjoy relative good benefits for a non-profit company"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent

Scout Executive (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAble to work with great volunteers

ConsAt times it was hard to understand the direction that Scouting is going therefore a firm direction is needed for the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive firm direction

Great place to start work history!

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

ProsGood solid work environment with good people and great management. The experiences will carry for a life time. Really good for college students that just want to work summers and not year round also.

ConsNot a consitant environment and you can't really expect a full time career. You work frequent hours that average 60 hours a week and you make a way below minimum wage, on average 275 a week.

District executive

District Executive (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule, relaxed environment, freedom to do work the way you feel works

ConsLong hours, hard to get promoted, low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher salaries

Friendly Community

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America part-time for less than a year

ProsManagement is relatively well trained. Many repeat customers create a relatively small community and make work enjoyable. Scout shop is small and easily manageable; stocking shelves/racks is not difficult.

ConsMostly figured things out by myself, not a lot of guidance from management. Was not a major issue but felt like I could have been brought up to speed faster.

Tough, but rewarding.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, NC (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America part-time for more than a year

ProsGood starting pay. good training to be knowledgeable about scouting things, and reasonable hours.

ConsConsistently changing schedule, and lots of paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of what employees have to do before making changes.

Great program to make a difference in boys lives - Scout executives need to get out of the 60s for management style

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA Majority of the volunteers are great people and have a strong understanding of the program. The lower level staff members (below field director) are great to work with and have want the program to succeed.

ConsBenefits are ok. Some miss communication about changes. The biggest issue is the senior leadership in the council has not made past the 1960's as far as leadership and management style as well as acceptance of women in the workplace (read into this a hostile work environment). When you have to manage (i won't call it leadership) by threats and intimidation, then you have failed as a manger and leader.
Also the current management wants absolute support for his programs, but will not support all of national's programs if he does not agree with them (rolls his eyes when discussed)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at some of your "old school" Scout executives are on board with up to date management practices, get them some progressive management training, and institute 360 degree reviews for the senior staff in the councils.

Lifestyle, not a job!

District Executive (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost volunteers are great people. The program makes a real impact. When you see the boys in action, it can make everything seem worthwhile - for the moment.

ConsNegative culture from the National Council (top) to the Local District (bottom). If you take the job, don't expect a) free time, b) money, or c) job growth. Example: a) I only had one single day off in the month of June, it was a Sunday; b) its non-profit and shrinking; c) policy dictates employees are promotion "eligible" every three years. I've seen good people put in 11 years for their second promotion (probably $45K). My council went 6 years without raises.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, what the volunteer doesn't the DE must"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on money. I spent 8+ months a year focused primarily on fundraising. They think "raise money, recruit kids, have a good program". They need to think "make a good program, kids will recruit their friends, parents will give more when their kids enjoy".

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Irving, TX (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers like family. Good tech systems in place

ConsInternal equity poor, good ol boys club

It's a career, not a stepping stone.

Senior District Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat opportunity to serve the public. You get to meet great people trying to better their community. You get to see the kids in the program grow. Especially if you get out there and mingle with the Units at events and at their individual unit meetings.

Cons40-80 hr weeks. Some councils were heavy in program and others pushed money. Ultimately your a salesperson. And you are judged solely by money, manpower, and membership. If you can't or miss one of those you could be "gone".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you do the program then the money and membership will come. Stop the turn over of executives, evaluate Mode.

Great program for kids as as well as their parents by offering family activities and learning experiences.

Business Manager (Former Employee)
Hattiesburg, MS (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBoy Scouts of America offers its employees excellent benefits including retirement and medical insurance for the employee and family at a reasonable rate. They are very understanding when it comes to personal time such as family sickness or emergencies. The Boy Scouts of America offer a great program for the kids and at the same offer a great work environment.

ConsSome of the challenges are working for a Scout Executive that is not in scouting for the right reasons. By this I mean you sometimes you may have an Executive that is for promoting himself rather than the program.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to pay attention to the budget. Stirve to meet those goals by working hard and promoting a good program for the Cub Scouts as well as a quality program for the Boy Scouts.

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boy Scouts of America reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Boy Scouts of America CEO Wayne Brock. All 177 reviews are posted anonymously by Boy Scouts of America employees.