Boy Scouts of America

www.scouting.org

Boy Scouts of America Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Boy Scouts of America – New York – “Entrance”

Boy Scouts of America – New York – “Entrance”

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock

Wayne Brock

Pros
  • As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders (in 10 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 13 reviews)

• Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly good seasonal employment, needs lots of improvement

First Aid Counselor (Current Employee)

Pros-the camaraderie: All the members of camp staff are very supportive and willing to assist you in every way they can. I got to know people outside my area in ways that I couldn't in other work environments.
    -the mentorship: My Area Director supported me in every way she could and guided me to become a better teacher. Also, she taught the cooking merit badge, I often ate free food before lunch and during the afternoon.
    -the mission: I taught First Aid, and I felt that I was enriching the lives of the Scouts by teaching them to treat basic injuries, and if need be, save lives.
    -teaching independence: I had a great amount (but by no means unlimited) autonomy to teach the class in the way I thought best.
    -free room and board: Staying in an cabin with air conditioning is a nice perk, especially during the hot summer months. The food, however, is mediocre (see "Cons" below)
    -beautiful environment: I worked at a beautiful camp with lots of trees and lakes. The sunsets were unbeatable.
    -leadership: Although there were a few issues, the senior staff did a great job implementing the program and we received numerous complements.
    -the Scouts: The best Scouts will make your day and remind you why you chose to staff camp.

Cons-low pay: as a first year staffer, I received less than $100 a week when paycheck time came around. I could have worked the same number of hours at a minimum wage job and made much than at camp, even after accounting for the room and board I received.
    -the food: the menu was the same every week. Enough said.
    -disregard of previous experience: I had two years of experience staffing other Boy Scout summer camps, but I was paid like a first-year staffer.
    -communication: there weren't any pre-departure emails or remainders sent out before camp. As a result, I forgot my physical and had to get it faxed to camp. Also, staff were not given a written schedule of events during camp, which resulted in some awkward moments with Scouts and adult leaders when I could not answer their questions.
    -the gossip: I will admit that I enjoyed the gossip at camp, but it can destroy the morale of a camp environment. My experience as a staffer at camp would have been diminished if I became the center of gossip.
    -limited exposure: With one exception, I only taught First Aid and CPR for five weeks straight. A greater variety of teaching duties would have been nice.
    -class sizes: For two weeks, my average class size hovered around 30 Scouts For a hands-on class like First Aid, the class size should be at least half that. Also, discipline is a greater issue in larger classes.

Advice to Senior Management-communication: Be more forthright about issues important to the staff, including sensitive topics such as layoffs and staff discipline issues. Don't leave people guessing. Also, sent out pre-departure emails so everyone is on the same page when they get to camp.
    -pay: It's hard to keep staff motivated if they are not paid competitive wages. At the bare minimum, a 50% increase in salary is warranted, especially considering the long hours all staff members put in to keep the camp running.
    -class sizes: Encourage troops to enroll in later weeks during the summer. That way, class sizes are more evenly spread out.

Many hard hours / Lack of personal or family life

ProsFor the most part, make your own schedule

ConsExpect to do the work of several people.

Find something better

Senior Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are none, as you do not get bonuses or anything when you do good. Upper Managers seem to have a hard time even telling you "Good Job"

ConsThere is zero bonus for making sales goals, meeting budgets. Even with membership down you are expected to make 2-5% more in sales vs. the previous year. Have little to no support from TM.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job for learning to deal with people.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Roanoke, VA (US)

ProsGood benefits; learn to sell yourself.

ConsSchedule can be varied with long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus on the current market place.

Working for bsa

Camp Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsYou get fed and boarded as camp counselor. Gives you great life experience. You make lots of new friends and get to see some cool things.

ConsThe management sucks and pay is low. They treat you like crap and you work long hours. Lots of people on drugs management does nothing to stop it. Very unappriciated

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job

Former Account Specialist for local council.

Account Specialist (Former Employee) Belleville, IL (US)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, lots to do but never a shortage of hands to help out. the boys and volunteers are great and the people I worked with are the best and most dedicated people I know of.
    Was one of the few jobs I worked at that I actually look forward to going to work.

ConsDoing the payroll for the council I know that the pay scale is extremely top heavy with the top few people ( Scout Exec, CFO ....etc) making in excess of 100k per year with benefits to match and the rest of us working in the pits making just enough to keep us there with hope of a year end raise, which always seem to go to the top few.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-adjust your pay scale, no council should allow 20% of its annual salary expense going to two or three people.
    Telling you people they are doing a great job in fine, but back it up with rewards and incentives. Quit trying to take from your employees and give a little back.

Good entry-level nonprofit experience

District Executive (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively good pay (for recent grads) and benefits, good training, great experience with nonprofit management and fundraising, good coworkers, working for a good cause, flexible hours, fun events throughout the year

Consthere can be poor management (depending on the council), flexible but mostly long irregular hours (definitely not your typical 9-5 job - you will almost always have a meeting/event in the evenings or on the weekend), lack of raises and/or room for growth within your office (again, depends on your council)

Awesome program that offers leadership development opportunities for youth and adults.

ProsContributions are for a great cause - to develop life skills for boys and girls.

ConsMostly a volunteer workfiorce and it is difficult for sweeping changes to take hold.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoordinate programs and increase visibility to the World Scouting organization

Great Memories, Best High School Job Around

Ecology Director/Camp Counselor (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing experiences and people, developed independence and leadership, improved public speaking skills, free food/lodging, the pros are extensive. No where else can a high school student teach classes to 10-20 kids and possibly be a supervisor of other employees. It is an amazing opportunity.

ConsLong days, not always enough food provided for employees, last few weeks of camp can be exhausting

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some evenings off, more pay would be nice as final salary does not equate to minimum wage (though BSA can't afford to)

Fantastic

Sport Head (Former Employee) Talihina, OK (US)

ProsI love to help people

ConsLearning to do my job so I can help better advance myself

Advice to Senior ManagementCare

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!