Boys Town

Boys Town Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes

The Rev. Steven E. Boes

If you can manage stress with extending a helping hand this is your Organization

Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits; Helping Youth Children and Families.

ConsStressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR STAFF….

The most rewarding position I have ever had!

Family Teacher Couple (Former Employee)
Boys Town, NE (US)

I worked at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

ProsIt takes a village and your colleagues are there for you 100%.

ConsThis is a 24/7 position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey did everything right. They told us it was a 24/7 hour position, and we thought we could work 24/7 but found out that we could not.

Boys Town is an amazing place to work! Family friendly, faith based and mission driven are key components.

Talent Acquisition Partner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefits; great atmosphere; competitive pay; excellent leadership

ConsParking can be tricky during training

Management needs a change

I have been working at Boys Town

ProsTouching the lives of the youth, coworkers, and good learning experience. Benefits right off the start. Orientation was very thorough.

ConsPay, little opportunity for growth, management is rigid and encouraged punitive teaching. Experience very dependent on home you were placed in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the low-man with more respect. We teach these kids social skills that much of the management lack themselves. Punitive teaching is encouraged by many administrators. Don't have a heart for the kids cuz your leaders will make you feel like you're too soft if you do. They make it all about the numbers and don't care how much you really impact the youth's behavior. They would rather all staff were robots. Pay it's awful for the stress involved. At least make some sort of incentive to stay and then you wouldn't have such high turn-over.

Data Entries, travel business expenses, Mileage, ACH deposit, unclaimed property, purchasing card and past due invoice.

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBoys Town has been helping save children and heal families

Consmanager wasn't go by company policy.

Overall not bad

Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company really does a great job of introducing the company culture and developing their employees from the moment they arrive. I have never been through a more thorough orientation, training, and onboarding experience. Also, the staff I worked with

ConsThe pay for many positions is quite horrible. The level of input and influence that entry level employees have with treatment was also frustrating. Technicians spend more time with youth in IRTC and STGH than any professional. However, we were not asked to provide recommendations or information beyond generic case notes. Tech positions are a turn and burn position and as a result I was never known as anything but "Staff" from the educators, therapists, and Sr. Leaders. The pay was poor, but not having a name was degrading.

Growth is also a concern here. There is not a clear career path to move up in the organization. Tech I, II, and III were the best you could hope for.

Lastly, you have a great model. However, there is more than one milieu to consult and implement. One size does not fit all. Kids come in the door and adapt to Boys Town. Unfortunately, they are not always given the skills they need to survive in an environment that is outside of Boys Town.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease opportunities to promote from within, utilize the resources you have available within, listen to and get to know your rank and file employees. Also, open your minds to a variety of treatment plans. So many kids are trained to only be successful within Boys Town and that is just not realistic.

A great foundation for my career!

Santa Ana, CA (US)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for more than a year

ProsThey are changing the way America cares for their youth, families, and communities beginning with me. They take the time to develop me in my current position. They take the time to ask me if I aspire to become anything else within the agency. They take the time to prepare me to take on higher positions by providing me opportunities to learn about other positions. There is a possibility of moving up within the agency.

ConsIf you are not passionate about helping youth, families and communities you are most likely not going to fit in with the demands of fulfilling the shared mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop your staff from the bottom up.

Lots of variety in the work I did, and I got to see how Boys Town really works.

Summer Supervisor (Former Employee)
Boys Town, NE (US)

I worked at Boys Town part-time for less than a year

Prosthe other summer supervisors, worked with farm animals, movie days when too hot or rainy, decent pay

Conskids' behaviors and attitudes sometimes, lots of manual labor

......salaries at a charity organization

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros...you do and have always helped children...

Cons.......you should have more full time and less part-time employees.....and pay them all a wage above poverty level....

Advice to Senior Management........management to top executives make far too much money for a non-profit...

Boys Town has given me the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives.

In- Home Family Service Consultant (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time for less than a year

ProsThe organization truly helps families and children in many different levels by providing them with the strategies and tools they need to achieve social, emotional and physical well-being.

ConsSalaries tend to be low. Hours on the job can drastically exceed the compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the disparity between work and compensation.

Worked for Boys Town? Contribute to the Community!

Boys Town Videos

Boys Town – Why Work for Us?

Boys Town has been a leader in the care and treatment of children and families since its founding in 1917 by Father Edward J. Flanagan. Through Boys Town's Integrated Continuum of Care, we provide a range of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boys Town reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Boys Town CEO The Rev. Steven E. Boes. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by Boys Town employees.