Boys Town

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes
The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Culture at Boys Town

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent morale, staff very mission oriented, staff development outstanding, large enough locally and nationally to have career ladders for staff. The quality of programs are outstanding and the dedication to program research and development keeps the organization on the cutting edge. High levels of staff competency not only serves the mission, but also helps staff succeed within the organization as well as with other orgs if they leave.

Cons

Because the Boys Town culture is so strong, only strong and talented staff from outside have an easy time breaking through. Boys Town is large enough to do things it's own way and needs to collaborate better with others.

Need to do a better job of marketting what you do to wider audiences locally in Ne and nationally. Continue to work on developing your next generation of leaders. Find better ways to import the strong diversity and well trained staff from affiliate sites to Ne site.

Mission focused

Current Employee - Program
    Current Employee - Program

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Boys Town focuses on developing and enhancing strategies to improve services to children and families. Ongoing efforts to solicit feedback as often as they could, especially from direct consumers to determine what works and what needs to get better is always at the fore front when it comes to quality improvement.

Cons

Funding for programs is a constant challenge. Contracts with state agencies drive work away from the core values by emphasizing compliance with paperwork. Also, as an agency we are behind with regards to technology as the work force becomes increasingly reliant on mobile systems.

Continue to focus on efforts to diversify funding by increasing the effectiveness of Development leaders. Advocate for changes that improve technology systems, which includes seeking expertise outside the organization.

Boys Town is a great employer.

Current Employee - Finance in Boys Town, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Boys Town, NE (US)

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town helps thousands of children and families across the nation. We have great employees that love helping children. The dedication of the staff is outstanding. Boys Town operations are managed well and are efficient. It is a very family friendly organization.

Cons

The job never seems to be finished as there is always more children that need Boys Town's help.

My advice to management would be to continue to run Boys Town with the mindset of keeping children first.

No matter the position you have, you are a part of a mission of caring for kids and families.

Current Employee - Youth Care Business/Compliance in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Youth Care Business/Compliance in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Boys Town

Pros

I have worked for this organization for over 30 years. I have seen it expand is services and work force to 11 different locations across the United States. Each location has opportunities for upward mobility. There is even greater opportunities if you are willing to relocate through out your career. The training that you receive to be successful in your job is outstanding.

Cons

Due to working with children and families, not all work is done during the hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday. You will learn life/work balance. The rewards of seeing a child or family make progress and keep the family intact makes the extra effort worth it.

Continue to keep children and families first and employees a close second.

Healing and Hope

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Boys Town is effective. Every day youth get better and families stay together due to the work of Boys Town employees. More of a mission than a job, working at Boys Town gives one the sense of accomplishing good every day they go to work. The support from supervisors is tremendous and expected (part of the culture). While the direct care work is demanding, it is at the same time immensely rewarding. The training provided is thorough. The Mission pervades every decision. How do we know we make a difference? WE ASK. Families and youth consistently rate the quality of care they receive very highly. Those who do not truly love and care for hurting children and families should not apply. Those that do, you won't find a better, more professional organization in which to serve.

Cons

Mandates from outside agencies to comply with regulations related to forms and paperwork remove people from doing the better work of helping children and families.

Continue to be a voice for high quality. Continue to beat back efforts to weaken our services to families and youth and efforts to pull us from the values embraced by Fr. Flanagan.

Getting paid to make the world a better place!

I have been working at Boys Town full-time

Pros

Mission is at the heart of everything we do in Youth Care and Health Care. Our Youth Care programs are evidence and research based and have been replicated in a variety of diverse communities across the Country with fantastic outcomes for children and families! Great benefits, opportunities for relocation, good pay, fabulous development opportunities, long, storied organizational history and stable employment.

Cons

Boys Town is a very established, large, and spread out organization making change frequently slow. Employees love Boys Town, so they never leave, limiting upward mobility, especially if you are limited to one location. People who don't love it, leave quickly. It is a very conservative organization where diversity of thinking, experience, culture, etc. is only now starting to be considered a good thing. But, progress is happening.

Continue to keep kids, families, and patients first! Find the balance between doing what works and doing what we've always done. Listen to and value employees. Learn from other organizations and industries, while maintainiing our values.

Great Organization

Former Employee - Recreation Aide in Boys Town, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Recreation Aide in Boys Town, NE (US)

I worked at Boys Town full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for this organization and helping the youth succeed in and out of the program.

Cons

It is a non profit organization. While admirable, it can mean that raises and promotions are hard to come by.

Promotions could be made more available depending on the department.

Boys Town is a remarkable organization to work for

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Though helping troubled youth and families can be a challenging task, working for an organization that makes all of its decisions based on the best interest of those kids and families is unbelievably meaningful and rewarding. Boys Town is unique in their dedication to training, consultation, and evaluation so that those working directly with kids and families have the education and support necessary to help them be successful. Boys Town is also a national organization with opportunities for career advancement in its eleven Sites across the country. I couldn't ask for a better employer or more dedicated and supportive co-workers.

Cons

Boys Town sets high standards for quality. Potential employees must understand and embrace the high expectations that accompany any jobs working with Boys Town kids and families.

Boys Town is a Family

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You must have kids in your heart to be successful at Boys Town as it is the essence of the culture at Boys Town of saving children and healing families. You become part of the Boys Town Family when employed here. There are vast opportunities across the 11 sites in America for employees to grow in their positions.

If you are blessed to work in the Village of Boys Town, Nebraska, your insurance benefits are some of the greatest in Omaha; if you are treated by a Boys Town physician or surgeon at a Boys Town Hospital or Clinic, your co pay and deductible are waived. There is also a Boys Town Pharmacy with a large formulary provided to Boys Town employees (in other words - free prescriptions within the formulary).

Leadership and management keep the staff informed so we can collectively work as a team.

Cons

Some positions' wages are low but leadership is working on bringing wages to scale.

Give credit where credit is due.