Boys Town

Updated Jul 07, 2014

Boys Town President & National Executive Director The Rev. Steven E. Boes

The Rev. Steven E. Boes

Family Consultant

ProsBoys Town is truly interested in enhancing staff members strengths, and promoting upward mobility. The behavioral model really works with families, and is easy to teach/understand. Our benefits are really good, too.

ConsThe work hours depend greatly on the schedule of the families that you work with. As a Family Consultant, you can plan on working many evenings and a weekend day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shining, and invest in year-end bonuses. :)

I have worked for Boys Town for almost 10 years.

Family Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe company believes in their mission from the top to the bottom. They truly believe in changing the way america cares for children and families. They have a lot of research to support their model of care. The compensation is competitive and the benefits are excellent.

ConsThey are always wanting more and not considerate of your personal life and health. The management recognizes the negative behavior, but does not use positive reinforcement. They have no sense of the amount of stress and emotionally draining working with youth 24/7 does.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward positive behavior and encourage personal growth. Encourage opportunities to have a work-life balance that encourages personal growth.

Helping Youth and Families is my passion.

Family Consultant (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThe work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

ConsIt's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family Teacher

ProsBoys Town provides an overall experience helping children and families. Staff are dedicated to putting children's services and needs first. Boys Town also provides you with a lot of information to start doing your job.

ConsNot much room to move up the company ladder. There is a lot of stress when it comes to being an employee working with youth and families. There are a lot of times that I feel that management was not empathetic to the situation that one was in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more empathetic to employee's needs. Help Employees with their growth rather than just focusing on outcomes of children.

I had three different directors, and all were the same.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThe youth, benefits from the start.

ConsManagement management management. I'm not a disgruntled employee who was fired and just complaining to complain. I am a current employee going on three years who has done well within the organization. I stay for the kids and the experience. Directors and managers are beyond rigid. The entire model revolves around positive reinforcement, empathy and praise. The two programs I've worked in couldn't be worse about those three things. The model isn't made to be rigid; it only works if each employee is allowed to be themselves while teaching, verses being a robot that the kids don't respect. Problem is, management is never there to actually observe...they rely on looking at your teaching interactions on paper and go off ratios. They have absolutely no skills when it comes to using positive reinforcement with their employees either. They only give feedback when it's something you're doing wrong. I'll stop here because I could go forever...oh and pay is NOT GOOD.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you actually care if we were to stay or go and listen and accept our feedback for once. Also, pay is awful for the hours and stress involved.

If you can manage stress with extending a helping hand this is your Organization

Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsBenefits; Helping Youth Children and Families.

ConsStressful, Work-Life Balance, Can't help everyone in the Program.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR STAFF….

The most rewarding position I have ever had!

Family Teacher Couple (Former Employee) Boys Town, NE (US)

ProsIt takes a village and your colleagues are there for you 100%.

ConsThis is a 24/7 position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey did everything right. They told us it was a 24/7 hour position, and we thought we could work 24/7 but found out that we could not.

Boys Town is an amazing place to work! Family friendly, faith based and mission driven are key components.

Talent Acquisition Partner (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsExcellent benefits; great atmosphere; competitive pay; excellent leadership

ConsParking can be tricky during training

Data Entries, travel business expenses, Mileage, ACH deposit, unclaimed property, purchasing card and past due invoice.

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsBoys Town has been helping save children and heal families

Consmanager wasn't go by company policy.

Management needs a change

ProsTouching the lives of the youth, coworkers, and good learning experience. Benefits right off the start. Orientation was very thorough.

ConsPay, little opportunity for growth, management is rigid and encouraged punitive teaching. Experience very dependent on home you were placed in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the low-man with more respect. We teach these kids social skills that much of the management lack themselves. Punitive teaching is encouraged by many administrators. Don't have a heart for the kids cuz your leaders will make you feel like you're too soft if you do. They make it all about the numbers and don't care how much you really impact the youth's behavior. They would rather all staff were robots. Pay it's awful for the stress involved. At least make some sort of incentive to stay and then you wouldn't have such high turn-over.

Worked for Boys Town? Contribute to the Community!