Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark

Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them(in 6 reviews)

• Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment(in 3 reviews)

Heavy focus on pushing students into class

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe sales staff/Enrollment Advisors are hard working, intelligent, fun, upcoming young professionals. Earning potential can be very good.

ConsBridgepoint accreditation has been called into question because they are targeting financially challenged students that want financial aid possibly more than a degree. The focus is to sign up students and sign up student loans. Retention is an issue, and one that in 2013 called into question the school's WASC accreditation. WASC was looking at retention and the percentage of students using student loans to fund their education. A Student Retention team was created in 2013 to assist in keeping students in class. Once WASC accreditation was reinstated, 95% of the team was fired. This seems short sited.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more collaborative approach to engaging your team in goals. The more you treat your counselors as colleagues that can help you solve your revenue goals, the more success you will have. Have senior members work more directly with newer members. Management using tactics like advising counselors Saturdays are mandatory overtime, when in reality are completely voluntary is insulting. Incorporate the idea of work life balance. Employees that feel like only labor laws are saving them from working 24 hour shifts are not happy employees.

Scam!

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsCollege-feel environment which is great for younger employees when it comes to making friends and enjoying coworkers' company.

ConsLies all over. Managers are afraid to lose their jobs, counselors do not know how to cheat the system, turnover is crazy, etc..

Advice to Senior ManagementINTEGRITY!

Understanding what the job is

Student Inquiry Coordinator (Current Employee) Poway, CA (US)

ProsFriendly co-workers.
    Some very reasonable management.
    An environment that says they are listening from the bottom up.

ConsLots of phone calls and meetings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Learning and Development Specialist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsMany learning opportunities, supportive management. This is a great way to learn everything about your industry and grow as a professional. If you are a go get-er you can create amazing opportunities for yourself here.

ConsUpper management is not great at communicating. Many projects and initiatives contradict. This is getting better.
    If you are not a self starter, you will not get far here. Company values leadership and ability to follow through.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to all get on the same page.

No Honor & Integrity - w/ company since 2007

Institutional Research (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsFree or discounted tuition offered to employees, spouses, and dependents who attend Ashford University or University of the Rockies. Casual dress and work environment.

ConsEducation and for-profit are huge contradictions. The focus is not on empowering and engaging students, its increasing enrollment and the amount of government financial aid paid to your institution. The struggling enrollment numbers have created layoffs every six months since 2012.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is too fr gone for advice. Things are not going to change. It is up to the employees to recognize the organization does not have the students or employees best interest at heart. Collect your paycheck, learn as much as you can, get your diploma, and move on.

Database administrator

Database Administrator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with, I have to recognize that most people at BTS . We're good employees to work with. Free education opportunities and some training.

ConsNo leadership ,the CEO main focus is only on profit and his bonus check. Every 6 months the company laid off employees across the board. Most Systems are now been outsource.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn leadership skills and to The CEO "Please control your greed and learn how to live with Only 5 million dollars a year"

Definitely profit driven.

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay with great benefits.

ConsIt's a call center that makes you dial hundreds of phone numbers a day in hopes that you can convince someone to enroll in Ashford University's online number. Most of these end in hang ups, harassment complaints, and no answers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really liked the team I was placed on, and my leads and manager, but above them, it just feels like your not doing enough to get a hold of better leads.

Great ideas, lack of vision in realizing them

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people in my division. Most sites have gym and cafeteria. Great life/work balance in my dept. Challenging and fulfilling work.

ConsCult-like executive worship. Lack of clear vision/mission, except to turn a profit. Rampant nepotism, HR does not seem to exist for employees, but to protect management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten out the organization structure and do away with the rock star executive status. Get creative when it comes to laying people off. You would do better to find positions for some of the talented people who are let go b/c their positions were eliminated.

good potential wasted by bad management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThey are generous with salaries and till recently the health benefits were really good, if you wanted you could get a degree without tuition.

ConsBad culture / environment. A lot of hierarchy. Legal and compliance run everything. Paranoia. Everyone afraid to make a mistake, afraid of the next round of layoffs. Can't get VPs or Executives to listen to new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to us! Stop trying to control everything and let the regular workers make some decisions on our own.

And our products aren't very competitive, no matter what the marketing says. So start building better classrooms and technology, or else other schools will leave us in the dust.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok but you could do better!

SIC (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsSteady job and not that hard to do!

ConsHard to move up !

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all managers are qualified for the position

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!