Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark

Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them(in 6 reviews)

• Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment(in 3 reviews)

Recruiter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat place to work, lots of employee development, embrace new ideas. Great salary and benefits, and 100% tuition reimbursement

ConsNo cons, this company is great

Fantastic learning environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Especially within BTS (IT).

ConsMajority of the growth is in CA alone.

Bridgepoint

ProsFull benefits, including tuition reimbursement

ConsCan get tedious, but that's expected.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High hopes, Low return

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

Prosbenefits, pay, tuition reimbursement, facilities are clean, convenient locations

Consculture, lack of clarity between management and other employees

Advice to Senior Managementwork on having candor and clear communication

Goal is to increase student population at all costs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendships that I fostered within entire organization.

ConsLeadership from Managers to Directors on up the chain. They are all puppets to wmaking more money for the Share Holders.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive resources to non-admissions departments. Train the admissions management on how to manage their people. COACH, COACH, COACH not do mass terminations.

Leadership is has no plans to share direction and you are alone for the ride.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThere are some educational benefits to working at Bridgepoint. The IT environment is robust in comparison to other companies in the San Diego area.

ConsThe IT leadership is generally clueless about where we are going as a department. They have claimed to be out of business decisions publicly. This means that the executive staff does not think about impact to the IT department before making decisions and the IT leadership doesn't interject until the money is spent and the project is rolling. All in all, IT is always the loser in the fight and made to look like the failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of the department and force groups to move in the same direction.

Not the same company they've been in the past, and that's good!

Learning & Development (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

Pros-education benefits
    -easy work, easy jobs, few expectations

Cons-poor management due to lack of training and experience (the internal management prep program is a joke)
    -favoritism & nepotism over merit based promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on skill and merit over tenure or favoritism.

Bad culture but great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMet great friends and learned how to be in a tough sales environment

ConsPoor upper management team, don't care about their people, terrible culture and like a boiler room

Student Dispute Resolution Center

Student Dispute Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe company is starting to focus on employee retention. I enjoy my co-workers and the company takes social responsibility very serious.

ConsThere are not many positions available to promote. The company needs to focus on hiring more people so the current employees are not over worked. This will allow employees to produce quality work, which will in turn make the student more successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

Ups and Downs, but Headed in Wrong Direction

IT Director (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsMany work teams are able form strong bonds, have fun - it all depends on the manager, Director, VP of the particular area.
    Will cover 100% of tuition for bachelors or masters if at their schools.

ConsSome really bad individual management makes it awful for certain team - be sure to interview them as much as they interview you.
    Salaries are low compared to industry (have not increased in years)
    CEO was awarded title of "greediest CEO in America" a few years back - rightly so. While there are layoffs and low staff salaries, he earns $20-25 million per year. (At a company whose total revenue is around $800million! Totally unacceptable)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet CEO and top exec salaries in line with reasonable numbers for a company no longer growing rapidly. That alone would vastly improve profitability and share price. Exec salary, distractions (like the current HR lawsuits), and lack of leadership now that company is beyond startup mode are stifling its potential.

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!