Brinker

Brinker Reviews

Updated Jul 06, 2014

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks

Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times(in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child(in 6 reviews)

Jump on the chance to work for this company

Accounting (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsReally sorry I left this great company. I think you will find that you will be rewarded with wonderful benefits and fair pay. They will provide you with an excellent training program,

ConsPromotions from within were a little slow forthcoming and the the only reason I left was offered another position of interest with another company first.

Great place to work!!

ProsBenefits for all employees, brinker family fund, ability to move up within company, flexible with school, other jobs and family

ConsNot very many cons. Overall if you are in the hospitality industry this is a great company to work for.

Long term stress for short term gains

Bartender (Former Employee) Denham Springs, LA (US)

Prosgood money
    corporate stability
    opportunity for advancement
    employee benefits for full-time employees
    loyalty benefits

Consfood service
    long hours
    constant management changes
    no part-time benefits
    large, detailed menu

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chili's, Customer Facing

Bartender (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsStandard Restaurant. They often promoted from within.

ConsBroke my arm in a non work accident. Offered to work with it (was fully able to work) and sign a Workers Comp Waiver, Got let go until I was able to get a doctors note. Ironic I wanted to work to pay for the doctor.

Great Time!

Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) West Springfield, MA (US)

ProsGreat Pay, Benefits, great management

ConsLong hours, not enough room for advancement

mediocre experience

Real Estate Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsBrinker tries to achieve a good work hard, play hard atmosphere.

ConsThe company can be very political.

Sad and disappointing

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsWith the right Area Director your job can be enjoyable and rewarding.

ConsWith this company it's not what you know, it's who you know. The General Manager should have experience in restaurant management and work their way up the ladder. Brinker used to hire from within, unfortunately that is no longer the case. Retaliation is prevalent. Micro-managing is abundant. Lying is a daily occurrence.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what is going on in each restaurant on a daily basis. Check turnover of hourly team mates, training new people costs money. When someone calls the Whistle Blowers hotline, take their complaints seriously in a timely manner. Most employees complain about their job and move on, those with the passion to call in with an issue usually have valid complaints.

It will serve a purpose...for a time.

Server (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsFlexibility of schedule especially for those pursuing college degrees or other education

ConsBuilt upon a strong foundation some managers fail to carry through on values of the culture

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should thoroughly vet lower level management before hire

Change has hurt this company

Line Cook (Former Employee) Metairie, LA (US)

ProsThe company is easy to get a job, but this will also mean that other new people are constantly coming in. They have annual softball league which is always fun and after long term yearly bonus is available.

ConsYearly bonus does not add up to a real vacation. There is no vacation pay that was removed in2011. Training is virtually nonexistent. The change in company direction came after original owner died and has not gotten better. No benefits and insurance is so high it is unaffordable even by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employees you have because it is hard to find good help and with no benefits it will be even harder.

Not for those who care or want to succeed

Culinary Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a paycheck, that's it.

ConsAs a manager, you are constantly required to cut hours to make your budget/plan. By doing this, you are required to cook, be a dishwasher, be a server, be a host, run the window, etc. we put in 70 hour work weeks and then get the "you need to cut more hours" from the schedule.

Your GM is not held accountable. You will work your butt off to get ahead but at the end of the day, it's just to make them look good. I was recently told to "figure out the solution" for a problem we've had for a year. My GM doesn't care about it. Rather than hold him accountable, it's left to me. It's easier to tell me to do something rather than my boss who is ultimately the one who should be making those decisions

Work life balance is absolutely non existent. They talk a big game but there's no follow through.

I've been promotable for 2 years and have been passed over twice. They don't like promoting women. It's only happened once in my career (almost 8 years).

Advice to Senior ManagementHold GMs accountable for their location, not only their managers. Very few of us are getting the development we need and deserve. You are constantly telling us to. "Look in the mirror". May I suggest you do the same?

We can cut all the hours you want but that work is still there to do. Your managers aren't leaders, they are highly paid hourly workers.

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!