Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great(in 13 reviews)

• Great work hours and work life balance at the corporate office(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities(in 28 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion(in 8 reviews)

If you are a person who requires closure and job satisfaction this company is not for you.

Community Management (Current Employee)

ProsPay & benefits are comparable to others in the industry. The management team at my community are the only reason why I have stayed at my job. They are a hardworking, dependable team, that work long hours to try to do a job that is not humanly possible for anyone to do.

ConsThe company has changed since Bill Sheriff left as CEO. Last year a new policy was put in effect that if the employees covered under the company health insurance plan did not complete a biometric screening by a certain date, they would not be able to have health insurance benefits for an entire year. Unfortunately this affected some of the front line staff, who did not understand the consequences until it was too late. Instead of rewarding the employees for completing the screening, Brookdale took the negative approach and punished the associates by taking away their health insurance benefits. This kind of policy gives and employee the feeling they are not cared about as a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of micromanaging the community management team, you need to act as the support team you were set up to be. You have hired professionals to run your communities and it is insulting that you are not giving them a chance to do their jobs. Take care of your community staff as they are the heart of this company!

Horrible Experience

Sales and Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsToday I can't think of anything nice to say except about the few people I worked with who were very nice.

ConsI would have to work about 60 hours per week to meet the expectations that were given to me. There was a zero chance for success. I had an ED that lied in meetings while looking straight at me. She denied giving me direction to do something in front of her RDO. I was scared and horrified.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back and read the Mission Statement and Cornerstones. Focus on care instead of new technology. Clean your buildings and remove odors.

Great Company, Amazing Support

ProsSupport on multiple levels from Corporate, through Fellow Managers

ConsLong hours at times. If you don't like reporting, might not be right for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a market rate analysis

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Training sucks here for therapists!

Therapy (Current Employee)

ProsThe patients complain on how they get nickel and dimed to death! Even if they are sick family members cannot go down to pick up food for them!

ConsNo training provided with the platforms they are utilizing to write notes! Pay is NOT commensurate with experience! Medicare A is over utilized for patients that are NOT homebound! Middle management might as well be high school students as they have no training in how to manage people and constantly flip flop on rules i.e. 10 hr work days or inconsistent caseloads or CEUs or for that matter ordering supplies! BTW taking out the trash and cleaning bathrooms while not a part of our job description will be performed! If your hurting for work as a therapist go somewhere else like Aegis!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get some training on how to manage us minions!!

Not what it used to be! Sadly disappointed former Director.

Executive Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsResidents were the best part.

ConsWhere do I begin!?! The company changed dramatically over the last two years. Staff was cut with directive to cut/lay off immediately. Regional staff told me to email them that afternoon of the staff positions I would cut to satisfy bottom line numbers. Not based on budget or resident needs-but some calculation that no one could explain where it came from. It was a culture of "gotcha" rather than support. We were compensated fairly, but conversely instructed to lay off care staff and servers. Forget the bonus and let us have staff. Glad I'm gone. Much less stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the residents first! Practice servant leadership! Let communities be different and better without micromanaging. Stop trying to catch people making mistakes.

none

Prosnone the job is good but it is a little confusing about job titles and what my job title actually is.

ConsI like working with people and the responsibilities I have taken on at brookdale senior living in lisle Illinois.

Title of Position was not even remotely accurate in describing the responsibilities.

Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsInteracting with and helping to care for Seniors. Helping them to improve their "Quality of Life".

ConsPoorly managed in every department, high employee turnover, lack of autonomy for any role to perform their duties without being "micro-managed".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you got rid of half of the managers, the company would still run better than it is now. There are way too many Chiefs and not nearly enough Indians.
    Spend more time talking with your employees to pro-actively allow internal issues to be addressed.Do not just pop into a community for photo opportunities and Directors meetings.

Brookdale has no value for human life unless they can make money off of it.

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsI worked for Brookdale for 9+ years... I loved it for a long time, but profit became the only focus.

ConsExpectations were ridiculous. Residents were never put first - only profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementResidents are NOT numbers - they are human beings who deserve respect and adequate care. Brookdale's continued practice of cutting staff and cutting hours is going to come back and literally, kill some one. The community I worked at was a high level of care Assisted Living... 85 residents and 3 staff from 10pm to 6am. Sometimes only 2. And only 5-6 care associates during the day. This type of staffing for people who need two-person transfers, help with feeding tubes, catheters, bathing, dressing and medications was insane. Brookdale is fully aware of this limited staffing - they actually promote it because it saves money and projections to Wall Street look better. It broke my heart to leave, but ethically I could not continue to work for a company who has so little value for human life. They only care about the bottom line.

Friendly staff members, residents and family members are very nice.

Aid (Current Employee) Elizabeth City, NC (US)

ProsHaving the opportunity to meet new employees. Having the ability to bond a trusting relationship with the residents and family members.

ConsPay, false information given to people. Not feeling appreciated. Lack of staff, but the same amount of work load. Many resident's should be placed in nursing homes, not assisted living.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff more. Stop listening to he say she say.

Company does not value it's people.

Regional Position (Current Employee)

ProsThe residents are the best part of this job.

ConsMicromanaging employees does not bring value and results. This company only cares about being the largest and profits...not about putting the resident first. They do not empower people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture has changed dramatically. This is NOT the same company it was 3 years ago. Faith, Family and Job are no longer the core values. They expect more and more without any rewards....just be thankful you have a job. The stress is overwhelming. Horrible, horrible company to now work for.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!