www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated 17 December 2014
Updated 17 December 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

working here over 2 years and still waiting for someone to say good job and mean it!!

Current Employee - RN Case Manager Home Health in Providence, RI (US)
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager Home Health in Providence, RI (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Flex schedule in the homecare division
    -Staff will bend over backwards for resident. Its why most employees stick around. We grow to care for the residents as family

Cons

Pay, pay , pay. This company makes plenty of money off its hard working employees, pay us what we are worth. We are ranked as an elite homecare company...not even a "thanks for your hard work" from upper management. Pay was cut over $500 per WEEK (yes- cut per week) in April. No one cares...that was my mortgage.

Care as much about residents and employees as you do about profits.

RUN from this place! This company brings out the worst in all staff and takes advantage of all residents - 24/7/365.

Current Employee - Nurse in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can leave this job...

Cons

No help for employees, terrible leadership, time off is a joke as you are made to feel guilty for planning and taking a vacation. Staff morale is in the toilet...

Listen to the staff who are asking for help instead of ignoring and lying to them. Hire more Americans who know and speak the English language. Karma will find us all !!

Not a good company right now. Maybe down the line.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses and residents. Opportunity to grow and advance if you can forget about passion to provide care at a level of comfort.

Cons

Everything else! Not a supportive company. So many in management seemed incompetent. It really is about the bottom line and contrary to what one may think, I'm not a disgruntled employee that was fired. There is directive to cut staff and take away services. Meanwhile rates continue to rise!

Have the regional and divisional team take leadership courses and pay attention to how they interact in the buildings. Also do the same for the temporary help that is sent to buildings; the "interim help".

Horrible benefits and compensation

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

New company to me. I am already appalled by the horrible benefits that don't even cover basic care unless you agree to be gutted financially.

Cons

Hard to find good line staff. Scheduling is tough and people are unmotivated.

Change the benefit plan immediately. It's so bad you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Brookdale has the most wonderful residents and caregivers, but management is cutthroat.

Former Employee - Receptionist in Boulder, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Boulder, CO (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful caregivers and some administration. The residents are a joy to be around.

Cons

Management in certain locations is poorly trained and are not worthy of the respect they demand.

Keep in mind the workers are doing the very best they can, they need to be treated with as much respect as management demands.

Disappointing

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Benefits were better than other companies I had worked for.

Cons

Main focus is acquiring smaller companies to expand growth not what is in the best interest of the patients or employees.

Focus on actual residents, not how many suites will be secured by end of the month!

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team work with commuity leadership; great commission/bonus structure; caregivers are very helpful and friendly

Cons

Company lost focus on the residents, and more on revenue. I felt I became more of a number than an associate. I was called numerous times after hours and on the weekends from my regional, when it could have waited until the next busiess day.

Give sales managers some personal time. If there isn't a move-in or a visit scheduled, don't bother them on their time off.

My experience was good until the end.

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, understanding of my transportation issue, friendly families, management very understanding to a point, employees willing to help each other out.

Cons

Their standards for your job, to much work for not enough hours,

Don't lie to cover yourself and be straight forward to your employees.

Amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Central Office Associate in Brentwood, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Central Office Associate in Brentwood, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family who are co-workers and friends for life.

Cons

low pay, very low communication to teams.

Communicate!

My experience with Brookdale was overall very enlightening.

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great relationships with residents and family members. Can be humbling if you focus on them.

Cons

Poor management. Managers are leaders and should possess and utilize leadership skills. Poor communication skills by management.

Don't focus so much on your personal goals that you forget you are LEADER leading people who also have goals. Manage your goals and LEAD your subordinates. Employees can't grow if they are not learning. If we are to grow with the company, we need LEADERS who can manage. Not MANAGERS who lack leadership.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos