Burlington Coat Factory

Updated 19 August 2014

2.6

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • yearly wage, work life balance, training for position was satisfactory, reasonable and abtainable metrics (in 7 reviews)

• Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted (in 29 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Stressful. Felt like a slave.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edgewater Park, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edgewater Park, NJ (US)

Pros

It's a Job in a terrible market

Cons

If you enjoy working in a hot, noisy warehouse and live life by a bell, this is the place for you.

Might want to learn to speak Spanish.

Good company and working atmosphere.

Former Employee - Warehouse Clerk  in  San Juan, PR (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Clerk in San Juan, PR (US)

Pros

Learn how to work in the store since start up until it was running.

Cons

Don't receive the opportunity to grouth.

Belive in the people that you hire.

cashier at Burlington coat factory

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Palmdale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Palmdale, CA (US)

Pros

the best reason to work there is you meet new people and learn about retail in all the departments

Cons

the hours suck .. sometimes I would work only 2 days out of the week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent job for students

Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier
    Former Employee - Customer Service Cashier

Pros

Pretty comfortable work, not as intense or demanding as Kohl's and other stores similar to it

Cons

The pay isn't too great and their store budget doesn't leave much room for anything extra. People constantly stealing stuff because they have no security whatsoever, not even people watching the dressing rooms.

Get some security and get someone to watch the dressing rooms. You won't have as much theft if you just do this simple thing.

Very flexible schedule, but slim store-wide staffing.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Modesto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Modesto, CA (US)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Comfortable air-conditioned environment. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Very little room for advancement. Low wages with small raises. Slim store-wide staffing creates an environment to fail.

I would definitely give adequate hours to the stores to ensure loss prevention, floor maintenance, and eliminate price checks. A better system of training would be excellent along with the better choices of leaders.

IT WAS A Pleasant Working Enviroment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

Close To Home, And Walking Distant

Cons

Not Enough Pay, Need To Raise Pay

Up Pay

Its a good place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

Easy, and they're not too strict on where things are placed.

Cons

You never get a chance to sit down. You're constantly working.

None.

interning in buying

Current Employee - Buying Intern  in  Burlington, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Buying Intern in Burlington, NJ (US)

Pros

Market visits, vendor relations, real world work

Cons

I do not really have anything bad to say about this experience

A good "first" job experience, but not something for the long run.

Current Employee - Receiving Associate
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate

Pros

While being a production based job, it was fun working in Receiving. Get to interact with interesting people, makes the day go by quickly.

There's limited customer contact, which is good, since they're usually crabby for no reason.

Work is easy enough, you just have to be quick.

Get paid every Friday.

If there's enough work, you could end up getting near 40 hour work weeks consistently, which is nice if you're only Part time.

Cons

It's apparent at my store that Receiving are the only ones who have to have any kind of quota or standards. We went from being able to talk while we work/listen to music to not being able to do either. Meanwhile, Merch. team is allowed to listen to music/talk while on the Sales Floor with the store being open. Between this decision and others, I can honestly say my morale has been fully killed off.

Managers are God-awful for the most part, you get people who have no business being in any kind of position of power (Like having their employees have to train them) to people who speak English about as well as they understand it (Not well) We're constantly told how "this one store" or "this Corporate person" has this magical solution to help our productivity and it always turns out that it's not much different than anything we've tried before. They keep making arbitrary changes, depending on what the Store Manager's mood is. I will say, we do have a couple of Managers that are down to Earth people, that I honestly can't complain about.

The training is bad, you're basically just thrown in, we the "veterans" (as in, low level employees) are expected to train ALL the new Receivers that come in, as to ease the load on the Managers. People get told one thing and then another completely different thing, communication is pretty bad.

I could go on and on, like how instead of scheduling Receiving on Fridays (We don't get a truck delivery on Fridays) to process backlogged freight, they schedule just two of us on a Weekend day, and then drag one of us away to go... count carts before the store opens. Just to give you an idea of the kind of "sense of urgency" and priorities the Managers have around here.

I would say, if your Supervisors are responsible for any incompetent employees, and can therefore be disciplined or fired, then your Managers are responsible for the Supervisors and should be held to the same standards.

Decent place to work. A growing company, with quite a few growing pains.

Current Employee - Receiving Supervisor
    Current Employee - Receiving Supervisor

Pros

The customers are pretty friendly, although they rate our customer service low. Great discounts for employees and the management is always trying to boost morale with potlucks.

Cons

The incoming of freight is a little too much to handle at times, never enough payroll to process it and get it to the sales floor. Lack of training.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!