CBRE Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
3.4

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic
Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired (in 27 reviews)

• The paramount industry leader in commercial real estate (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company (in 15 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Work-life balance....NOT

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for if you are right out of college looking to start your career. Decent benefits and vacation. Lots of employee recognition events geared towards the early twenties age range.

Cons

The company preaches "work-life" balance, however this is not true for all employees. Workload is not distributed well amongst the employees/teams...and upper management (controllers and up) seem to not hear the reasons turnover is so high. Very top heavy with management.

Management needs to listen to employee concern. And...if you are going to preach work-life balance, make sure that ALL employees are given this opportunity to have balance!

A mix of good and bad. Ultimately, CBRE is doing really well as a global company, but doesn't compensate employees enough.

Current Employee - Receptionist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers and clients.

Cons

CBRE is really cheap and doesn't pay its employees fairly, even if they've been with the company for 10+ years.

Stop making workers take monthly courses that have nothing to do with their current jobs. Please pay all employees a living wage. Give fair raises.

A True Real Estate Giant

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand to sell. Lots of fantastic existing corporate accounts. The training was great. The company is a very good fit for anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

The firm can be too big at times. As a younger person, its easy to feel like an employee of your team and not an employee of the company.

Pay attention to the Senior to Junior team relationships.

The honest and lonely truth about Commercial Appraisal as a Valuation Analyst (at the Green Machine)

Former Employee - Valuation Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Valuation Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large Company Environment (If that is what you like)
    'Success' is largely determined by how many hours you want to put into the job/and how hard you want to work.
    Extensive learning about the valuation of commercial real estate fundamentals
    Ability to commiserate with other employees who are not extremely happy with their jobs.
    This job is a great fundamental job to understand the general business world, cash flows, Market Fundamentals, etc. I wish I would have gotten this job at a younger age because of the pure basis of understanding the valuation of assets... As a mid-career change, this job made me feel more like a rented mule than a valued team member.

Cons

Sink or Swim Environment

Very little training, and there is nobody to go to for support.

MINIMUM 45 hours per week. With a high emphasis on MINIMUM. That does not include lunch, or any other breaks. On a regular basis, you will not leave until after 6 pm or 6:30 pm (after arriving at 8 AM or earlier and taking a minimal lunch breaks).

Long hours wouldn't be a problem if the pay for valuation analysts wasn't so low. Despite this, once you graduate to working on commission only, the pay is still very low until you are a certified general because of the splits that you share with the company and the MAI (senior appraiser) whom you work for.

When I say the pay is very low for commission work, I mean you likely won't make 50K even after WORKING A MINIMUM of 45-50 hours per week as a Valuation Analyst that is working on a commission basis. You make +/- 30K to start out as an analyst not on commission.

Environment is very much 'solo'. Despite having co-workers, there were many days that you would have minimal interaction with other people because of the intensity of the work.

From my experience the company was very much like a bunch of independent contractors working within the same office environment. This can be fine if you are a seasoned appraiser who doesn't need any assistance with getting started. (I was also told that this is somewhat unique to our specific office, but cannot confirm this)

As a valuation analyst, much more support is needed to promote success among the valuation analysts' which makes for a difficult environment to work in.

While I would comment that the majority of the personnel in the office were very affable, there were a couple/few who made the environment very difficult to work in based on their strong and condescending personalities. If it is possible to steer clear of these people, the job might not be so undesirable. If you cannot steer clear of such personalities than this job is like an emotionally abusive personal relationship.

Discussions with some other commercial appraisers seemed to confirm that commercial appraisal is a job which can be difficult to leave once you have made it to a certain level because the pay can be so good, and the hours at that time can be 'flexible' (despite the fact that they are many)...So, despite not loving one's job, it can be difficult to leave because of the hardship one has to go through to get to that level. I am sure this is not exclusive to commercial appraisers, but many other professionals probably find this; I believe it is referred to as the sunk-cost-fallacy.

In any case, this job might be great for somebody who is just out of college, willing to work ridiculous hours for menial pay, so that by the time they realize that they have been underpaid/over worked, they are within reaching distance of their Certified General Certificate; and then are able to break free.

Breakdown of time generally - 25% writing the front end of a report & researching environment, 30% confirming comparables, 25% analyzing value, 10% Reviewing report, 10% looking for resources that should have been made more easily available.

Spend more time developing valuation analysts. Sending them to CBRE training in another part of the country comes either way too early in the cycle, or way too late. Also have more support within the office for the entire team (Analysts and Seasoned Certified Generals/MAI's)

Could be better but lots to improve

Former Employee - Real Estate Services Coordinator in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Real Estate Services Coordinator in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very supportive team who will assist you in areas that you have questions on.
    Main holidays are guaranteed off.
    Quarterly team outings to get away from work (but still getting paid).
    Two days remote program for levels below Supervisor.
    Easy software to get your accounting career started fresh out of college.

Cons

Your team is limited to their supportiveness as to what level of positions they started off with or gone through. Ex> Someone who did not start at a coordinator level doesn't seem to understand the basics of what can and cannot be done by a coordinator. They tend to overwork the coordinator with questions that should be directed upwards and not downwards due to different work processes.
    Quarterly team outings tend to be optional nowadays due to large workloads that needs to be done (varies on your morale team on when they choose to have the outing).
    Unfair pay for the amount of workload you do compared to another who has less workload and don't ask to assist but sit their and socialize and play on their phones or browse the web at their cubicle.
    They say that leveling up is easy but it's not. You have to go through interviews also and are not guaranteed a promotion no matter how dedicated or hard you work. I think it should be a matter of trust and credit towards the current supervisor on whether the employee is a good candidate or not due to their every day knowledge of how the employee performs. If the employee fails to meet the expectations, that falls on the supervisor and their credibility.

Pay is a joke - The amount one is raised/decreased should be looked upon on how well they have performed. If they assist during their free-time to help their fellow teammates and shows initiative, that tells me that they are dedicated and deserve a high pay.
    If they just sit there, joke around, wander around, play on their phones, browse the web, or just sit in the cafe during their free-time, it tells me that either it's just a slow day or that they are not taking their job seriously. If it's just a slow day but they showed initiative to want to be busy by assisting others, then they deserve a high pay. If they don't do that or if they just slack around, I don't believe that they deserve a raise or the high pay that they currently have. Reason is that your company's name is on the line and you should find better ways to weed out those who don't show dedication. Incentives is one way to do that.

Advancement is a joke - I believe it should be a matter of trust and credit towards the current supervisor on whether the employee is a good candidate or not due to their every day knowledge of how the employee performs. If the employee fails to meet the expectations, that falls on the supervisor and their credibility. I've been with the company for over 2 years now and I failed to get 3 promotions (2 was due to the coordinators who started a year after me who filled in their accountants position who quit, and the 3rd one was most likely due to my interview asking salary pay compared to an outside person from the company).

Not bad, but not impressive, either

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They had education reimbursement and all the standard benefits (retirement, health, vision, dental, paid leave, vacation, sick days, etc.) Did not experience excessive stress in meeting my deadlines. Responsible for a manageable portfolio (work load.)

Cons

Pay was lower than market in the region and there were no bonuses. Management at the regional level was not bad, but the corporate level did not engender an overall sense of employees being valued.

Really don't have any advice to give; pretty standard corporate environment. Continue offering education reimbursements and standard benefits. Perhaps the employees who work in the areas where our jobs were transferred to make market wages (and was why our entire office was closed.)

It's okay

Current Employee - Real Estate Services Administrator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Real Estate Services Administrator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits from the company and it's a global leading organization

Cons

Entry level position high pace dynamic role under paid. Heavy load

Need better training

Ruthless

Current Employee - Associate Appraiser in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Appraiser in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary benefits travel Variety data

Cons

Long hours ruthless management no guidance

Get a heart

Known Company with Awkward Social Environment

Current Employee - AP Cleark in El Segundo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - AP Cleark in El Segundo, CA (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is well known, easy to move up, free breakfast every other Friday, and good IT assistance.

Cons

Social environment is almost none existant. People act as robots and don't even greet each other or be in lunch rooms with an akward silence.

Try to make a more social atmosphere to build morale.

Powerful, big green machine, does best deals

Former Employee - Office Broker in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Office Broker in New York, NY (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Biggest broker in the world; gets best instructions. Chance to work on some big deals. I worked in New York office. Felt like centre of broking world.

Cons

Culture a bit brutal. Big brokers think they are Gods - and more important than the clients. You can be treated roughly when a deal is closing.

Relax a bit; you are No 1.

CBRE Photos

headquarters of CBRE at 11150 Santa Monica Boulevard, in the Westwood Gateway office complex. (Photo attributed to Coolcaesar - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
None