CBRE Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
3.4

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic
Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired (in 27 reviews)

• The paramount industry leader in commercial real estate (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company (in 15 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Could be better but lots to improve

Former Employee - Real Estate Services Coordinator in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Real Estate Services Coordinator in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very supportive team who will assist you in areas that you have questions on.
    Main holidays are guaranteed off.
    Quarterly team outings to get away from work (but still getting paid).
    Two days remote program for levels below Supervisor.
    Easy software to get your accounting career started fresh out of college.

Cons

Your team is limited to their supportiveness as to what level of positions they started off with or gone through. Ex> Someone who did not start at a coordinator level doesn't seem to understand the basics of what can and cannot be done by a coordinator. They tend to overwork the coordinator with questions that should be directed upwards and not downwards due to different work processes.
    Quarterly team outings tend to be optional nowadays due to large workloads that needs to be done (varies on your morale team on when they choose to have the outing).
    Unfair pay for the amount of workload you do compared to another who has less workload and don't ask to assist but sit their and socialize and play on their phones or browse the web at their cubicle.
    They say that leveling up is easy but it's not. You have to go through interviews also and are not guaranteed a promotion no matter how dedicated or hard you work. I think it should be a matter of trust and credit towards the current supervisor on whether the employee is a good candidate or not due to their every day knowledge of how the employee performs. If the employee fails to meet the expectations, that falls on the supervisor and their credibility.

Pay is a joke - The amount one is raised/decreased should be looked upon on how well they have performed. If they assist during their free-time to help their fellow teammates and shows initiative, that tells me that they are dedicated and deserve a high pay.
    If they just sit there, joke around, wander around, play on their phones, browse the web, or just sit in the cafe during their free-time, it tells me that either it's just a slow day or that they are not taking their job seriously. If it's just a slow day but they showed initiative to want to be busy by assisting others, then they deserve a high pay. If they don't do that or if they just slack around, I don't believe that they deserve a raise or the high pay that they currently have. Reason is that your company's name is on the line and you should find better ways to weed out those who don't show dedication. Incentives is one way to do that.

Advancement is a joke - I believe it should be a matter of trust and credit towards the current supervisor on whether the employee is a good candidate or not due to their every day knowledge of how the employee performs. If the employee fails to meet the expectations, that falls on the supervisor and their credibility. I've been with the company for over 2 years now and I failed to get 3 promotions (2 was due to the coordinators who started a year after me who filled in their accountants position who quit, and the 3rd one was most likely due to my interview asking salary pay compared to an outside person from the company).

Not bad, but not impressive, either

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They had education reimbursement and all the standard benefits (retirement, health, vision, dental, paid leave, vacation, sick days, etc.) Did not experience excessive stress in meeting my deadlines. Responsible for a manageable portfolio (work load.)

Cons

Pay was lower than market in the region and there were no bonuses. Management at the regional level was not bad, but the corporate level did not engender an overall sense of employees being valued.

Really don't have any advice to give; pretty standard corporate environment. Continue offering education reimbursements and standard benefits. Perhaps the employees who work in the areas where our jobs were transferred to make market wages (and was why our entire office was closed.)

It's okay

Current Employee - Real Estate Services Administrator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Real Estate Services Administrator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits from the company and it's a global leading organization

Cons

Entry level position high pace dynamic role under paid. Heavy load

Need better training

Ruthless

Current Employee - Associate Appraiser in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Appraiser in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary benefits travel Variety data

Cons

Long hours ruthless management no guidance

Get a heart

Powerful, big green machine, does best deals

Former Employee - Office Broker in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Office Broker in New York, NY (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Biggest broker in the world; gets best instructions. Chance to work on some big deals. I worked in New York office. Felt like centre of broking world.

Cons

Culture a bit brutal. Big brokers think they are Gods - and more important than the clients. You can be treated roughly when a deal is closing.

Relax a bit; you are No 1.

All the tools are there...

Current Employee - Broker
    Current Employee - Broker

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For a commission based employee, you can make money if you learn how to select the tools from the CBRE platform. There is literally something out there for any size/shape/flavor client. Motivated leadership and a corporate culture that prides itself on being the best, we sure love to talk about how awesome and big we are. The great brokers can turn this into a value for clients.

Cons

The industry as a whole needs to become more diverse - we still are very heavy on silver-haired white guys. The company is striving to make headway here, but the biggest gap is a lack of wiling mentors/support. Example - HR didn't know what to do with me when I needed to determine maternity leave, as a commissioned salesperson I fell outside of the standard process and had to negotiate with my partners (all men) the terms of leave. They were more than fair, but other women might not have been as lucky.

Professional and friendly - Great group to work for.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Parsippany, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Parsippany, NJ (US)

I have been working at CBRE as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The employees I work for make this a great job. I never mind doing what is asked of me and always feel appreciated. I especially like that they offer a lot of training. It is always good expand your knowledge and skills.

Cons

Their invoice/purchasing system could be better. There should be more options when creating PO's.

The best introduction to commercial real estate

Former Employee - Brokerage Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Brokerage Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at CBRE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn about New York commercial real estate.
    As an intern, you learn the ins and outs of brokerage.
    Great mentors that are always willing to give advice.

Cons

Not many perks, only offer water and coffee.
    Keep in mind that it is a very corporate and professional culture, so if you are looking for a more laid back environment this might not fit.

Provide interns offers to return to CBRE.

Great company, Great people

I have been working at CBRE full-time

Pros

Great people, lots of support, lots of team interaction, fast-pace, cool work spaces

Cons

None so far - have not been here long

CBRE is a great company, teamwork and work-life balance was the primary key to our teams success!!

Former Employee - Facility Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Facility Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The FM team on the American Express is "awesome"! We worked together on projects around the globe and even shared FM work processes across accounts when required. Our coordinated client/FM team conference calls proved very valuable to ensure flawless project deadlines and day to day services. Excellent benefits and training access!!!

Cons

Genuine open lines of communications minimized cons, legitimate concerns from team members were sincerely mitigated by leadership and involved parties promptly within our team.

CBRE Photos

headquarters of CBRE at 11150 Santa Monica Boulevard, in the Westwood Gateway office complex. (Photo attributed to Coolcaesar - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
None