CDW Reviews

3.8
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

1. Featured Review

It is a fast-paced, winning culture that allows you to positively affect many people, both personally and professionally

Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW

Pros

1. The People - At CDW, relationships matter...with Customers, Partners, Community and each other
    2. The Culture - Every day is different, and there is never a dull moment
    3. The Values - Everything we do revolves around the Customer. Success means never being satisfied and we operate our business with passion and integrity.

Cons

The pace of change in our industry is, at times, overwhelming, and we are often asked to do more with the same amount of resources...or sometimes less. But, with the right mix of time management, prioritization and communication, successfully navigating constant change is achievable.

Advice to Management

Within a performance-based culture, such as CDW's, the focus on success is important. Allowing our Coworkers to maintain a positive work/life balance is also important to prevent overload and burnout.

GREAT PLACE to work and GR8! Friends!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW

Pros

I have been working at CDW for 15 Years and looking to stay here for another 15!
    - Very rewarding at the same time can be Very challenging
    - Great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a performer
    - Positive Attitude is the key to success at CDW
    - Love the people I work with, great group.
    - You Make it Happen Attitude

Cons

Sometimes, you feel like management’s urgency level is not properly synchronized with others.

Advice to Management

No advice, love the company, love the Culture. The Sales Account manager career is for quality, productive and hardworking professionals --as it should be. Excellent job

3. A/R Specialist

Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good here.

Cons

Management could have a better attitude towards employees

Advice to Management

Hiring supervisors and promoting seniors should be based on skill level and experience, not based on how likable individual is to the direct managers.

5. Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Extensive Training Program
    -Great Career Growth Opportunity
    -Bunch of Perks from Channel Representatives

Cons

-Must generate your own leads
    -Predatory atomosphere

6. Strong relationships, lots of opportunity, high pressure.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW

Pros

Good commissions, strong relationships with customers.

Cons

Micromanagement, not enough time spent with management.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with your employees.

7. Great benefits and work culture/life balance.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Top-notch IT department - lots of people who really know their area of expertise.

Cons

Negotiate a salary that is acceptable to you when you interview. The annual performance review/merit increase process rarely results in even a 3% salary increase, even for stellar performers.

Advice to Management

Salary levels need to be more competitive with not only the market, but within teams with team members doing essentially the same work - I've seen as much as a 42% salary disparity between such team members with equal job responsibilities/time with the company.

Inside Sales Account Manager review after 3.5 years

Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is truly a great company and it is what you make of it! Showing up to work every day doing the same thing over and over again will not get you very far or get you to where you want to be financially. You've got to be very ambitious, hard working, free thinking and quick on your feet - unfortunately most people in this country do not meet any of these....especially the hard working part! I came into this job with a determined attitude and told myself I'm going to work harder than anyone else. I typically spend 12-14 hours a day working - not because I have to, because I want to...I want to beat my competition! Unwillingness to work outside of 9am-5pm is a reason so many do not find success in this position. By my third full year here I positioned myself to earn a substantial amount of money year after year. While most were complaining I was working. While most were going to lunch I was working. Point being, if you're willing to put in the time and effort you can succeed and do well. Unlike most other comments regarding base salary, I wish it were lower than $25k! High risk means high reward!

There are unlimited amounts of resources at this company - whether internal or from the manufacturers themselves. It all falls on the shoulders of the rep if they're having issues or problems. Be accountable and don't expect everyone to do everything for you. Be a free thinker, think outside of the box and get it done!

Cons

Operations should be penalized/pay docked if they make mistakes that costs the reps/company money. There's no accountability for these positions. Nearly every day I spend too much time double checking the work of operations to ensure they did their jobs correctly. Numerous times they've made mistakes and it wastes my time to review and point out to them - or an order goes out incorrectly and hurts me financially. If their compensation were tied to performance, like it is in sales, then they would hopefully be more thorough and detail oriented,

Advice to Management

The strong employees in the sales force keep the weak links afloat (adders, reduced commission). I know it's difficult these days, but try and trim the fat. There are a lot that simply do not pull their weight.

Make sure you know what drives your numbers and department measurable's and focus on that.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Average health insurance plan, partially subsidized by company and partially paid by employee. The annual coworker appreciation day is nice. Work from home is definitely a great perk if your position allows. Pay is ok (not great) for hourly office staff, probably better in sales as they are commission based.

Cons

Too many events (annual free Teddy Bear and Children's Holiday party) for those with smaller children, not enough for those with grown kids or no kids. Lots of freebies and incentives for sales force, but not many for the other departments. The annual fundraiser is obnoxious, numerous emails each day begging for donations. Technology in backbone departments is lacking at best....antiquated processes and outdated system capabilities. One shared printer for dozens if not a hundred or more coworkers.

Advice to Management

Send supervisors and managers to quarterly coaching seminars to improve performance at that level. It will trickle down to the rest of the workforce once consistent coaching is achieved. Update technology in backbone departments. Add printers in departments that need them. Have giveaways and parties that include all coworkers, not just those with children. Higher pay for office staff in supporting roles.

10. Long Time employee, zero room for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company financials, company is growing year to year currently.

Cons

Low salaries, and zero effort in getting market value for job done.

11. Corporate environment highlights

Current Employee - Backbone Operations in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Backbone Operations in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mid to high end of the market salary ranges. Benefits are average to market standard.

Cons

For a technology provider, CDW lacks being a cutting edge corporation. They are behind in offering coworkers operational tools needed to work more efficiently. Advertise to potential hires as offering a reasonable work/life balance - which does not exist. Coworkers told business needs must be a priority.

Advice to Management

360 Reviews a must!!!