CDW

Updated 16 October 2014
4.0

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 69 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

301 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Interview and Training Process!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only recently started at CDW but even two weeks in I can tell the culture here is like no other. From day one, all of our trainers and guest speakers have been very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Everyone I speak to in the company I ask them how long they have been here and what do they love. Unanimously I am told they love the atmosphere. They encourage participation, continuous training and everyone says there a huge salary potential.

Cons

Like many jobs, it's not going to come easy. They do expect us to put in the time to become knowledgeable about technology and still manage to communicate what we know to customers.

Vendor Specialist

Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture, lot's of perks, good training/development

Cons

Below industry pay pretty much across the board, which is why they have problems retaining talent.

You can't keep losing all you top salesmen, managers, and specialists without it eventually effecting your bottom line. Pay people what they deserve.

My experience at CPE was excellent. They take care of their employees.

Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Auditor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Auditor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn a lot there if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There were really no cons to working there.

Great, forward thinking company that is the best at what they do

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is unlimited earning potential (all based on how hard you are willing to work and how well you work with others), flexible management, ability to work from home, varied internal and external career paths (including partner companies)

Cons

large corporations have many layers of bureaucracy, some sales / leaders teams have a narrow and selfish view causing conflicts, turnover for new hires is high (many don't give it a chance long enough or put in the work the build the book of business)

I enjoyed my time at CDW

Former Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was in a non-sales position. The benefits are great, time off is generous once you hit 3 years. In my department office culture was great as was work-life balance (2 work from home days per week).

Cons

no more than 10% increase in pay no matter what type of promotion or position you were going to.

Great company culture

Current Employee - Marketing in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Excellent work life balance
    -Supportive Management
    -Great Benefits
    -Friendly Coworkers

Cons

I can't think of any cons at this time.

Great Place to Start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CDW is a great place to start. You get top notch training and chances to work your way into technical positions that otherwise might be closed off to you.

Cons

Salary is low and senior management hasn't changed in years. New managers keep cycling through because they have no chance of promotion.

Sales Capability

Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CDW is the best company to work for. The training and onboarding programs, as well as wide array of resources, provide employees all the tools to be successful. The pay, promotions, benefits, perks, values, and culture, make CDW the best company to be apart of.

Cons

I do not believe there are any cons to working at CDW

If you work hard you can go far in this company.

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

Account Manager

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is a great company it's a place where you get rewarded for hard work - through help from superiors and/or through higher wages you earn from your hard work through sales. In my experience you are not micromanaged and I often times go days without seeing or speaking to my manager. This largely due to the fact that I work extremely hard and he hasn't have to motivate me to work.

Cons

Mediocrity is too commonly accepted. Unfortunately there are far too many people that do not work hard or put in the needed work to truly be successful. This isn't really a CDW thing, however as I'm sure this is common at most places in the country.

I don't have much to say here as I think most things are in a good place. I'm in sales, so I'll always say that the commission plan should always be higher!