www.cdw.com

Updated 17 December 2014
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

315 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CDW

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding Leadership and company culture founded on the CDW Way. Company is totally committed to coworker engagement and development along with work/life balance. Truly listens to its coworkers and over the years has built a workout center on campus and offers hot lunches, dry cleaning services, coworker discounts, etc

Cons

Since I am relatively new to the Company I have not come across any Cons or negative issues after 3 weeks.

Keep doing what you are doing by modeling the CDW Way and being committed to Coworker development, engagement, and work/life balance.

Great 6 years until we switched bosses and it all went downhill from there.

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits,401k, won 3,000 bux Ina raffle my 2nd week, good people, they treat you good if you work hard.

Cons

Raises suck. Doesn't matter how much work you do or what your doing you still get paid the same. They start configuration techs at 12.31 and u work2pm to 11pm plus mandatory overtime. So ice gotten home at3 in the morning. They treat you like you are lucky you have a job because they will replace you in a second.

I quit after6 years because they hired someone to run the config center w no experience at all. They hire brown nosers as bosses and the bosses to do nothing at all But sit all day. They also put more work on the people who are dedicated to their job. Overall management is a joke in configs. I would still be there if they didn't hire a joke of a config supervisor and another supervisor who I worked next to for 6 years and decided to treat me like crap once he became boss.

Account Manager Review

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW

Pros

I have been a public sector Account Manager for 7 years. In a sales role you will not be micro-managed. There is the potential to make well over $100k if you end up in the correct segment.

Cons

Based salary is half of the industry standard. If you sell in the Public sector you must pay all the contract fees and freight out of your commissions; something they don't tell you in the recruiting process. It is nearly impossible for AM's to switch segments once hired. The training program does not teach you what you really need to know to be successful and their CRM tool is buggy and unstable. Limited travel to meet with your customers.

Public Sector AM's need a comp plan competitive with the rest of the industry. AM's need to be in front of their customers a minimum of once per quarter. Seasoned AM's should be allowed to live in their territories and telecommute(we sell this tech, lets use it). Our business model of only having inside sales and very few FAE's is a failing business model. Customers and partners all admit that they prefer to work with someone that is local and provides face time.

Great Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a young, energetic atmosphere. I learned a lot about new emerging technologies in several different product categories. CDW has a great training program. They take on employees that do not have IT or sales experience. I was able to get the experience I needed for the next job. The hours are great. You can workout during the day. Great prizes and competitions.

Cons

The pay is low. A bad manager can really effect your development. CDW has ways of taking a little more than they should from commission.

The base pay should be higher.

Inside Sales Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great first time job to get your feet wet and learn how to talk to people over the phone in a sales-context.

Cons

It's easy to feel unimportant and like a tiny cog in a huge machine.

I felt like I would get the most challenging assignments because they knew I would work really hard, but that didn't always mean I got the most money. Would have liked to get a couple "easy" customers mixed into my territory.

Good first role

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch, especially for those with little experience. Laid back culture with a lot of freedom in your day. Managers are typically promoted from within so they have been in your shoes before and really care about you. Lots of perks: free lunches, sporting events, happy hours, etc. Company is trending in the right direction and continues to capture more and more market share.

Cons

While it is a good place to start and gain sales experience, the base salary is low enough where if you have a bad month in sales, you aren't making much money. The job itself is easy, though, and the established AMs can make a killing.

Just installed software to monitor calls, view computer screens, etc. Do not appreciate being watched by "Big Brother".

Great place to build a foundation for a career in the technology industry.

Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Positive work environment, very friendly people
    -Excellent training program
    -Great variety of functions in which you can work and explore your interests

Cons

-The benefits are great but salary growth is a challenge in functions outside of sales.

Keep up the great work, some differentiation will be necessary with the increased commoditization of the products CDW sells over time. Growth in the services practice will be key, but more competitive advantages will need to be developed to succeed in the long term.

An honest evaluation of CDW

Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food frequently, chance at going to sporting and other events, work-life balance is attainable. A lot of good people work here and CDW is also a great resume builder.

Cons

Compensation does not match performance, and is constantly changing. I have been here 4 years and it has changed 3 times. Favoritism by management toward those more senior. Boss in many regards controls your opportunity and earning potential by awarding accounts at their discretion. Company makes many thousands off of their sales force and pay them next to nothing.

More technical training to sales on the advanced solutions we sell to make us more creditable to customers. A better pay structure for sales, no one can live on a 25K base if they have an underperforming year in sales.

Great culture but lacks in total rewards

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone works well together and collaborates. CDW generally encourages new ideas and empowers employees to make decisions.

Cons

Compensation is well below industry standards for roles outside of Sales. CDW discourages their partners from hiring their employees which pigeonholes coworkers who want to leave CDW but remain in the IT industry, especially when the salaries at CDW are so low.

Seriously consider making changes to the compensation structure. The current structure does not allow the hiring of talent due to salary ranges or retaining truly talented coworkers.

Good company with lean back office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture focused on execution and success. There is a true commitment to giving back to the community and worthy charities. Benefits are good but not the best out there.

Cons

Back office functions like Finance, HR, IT are very lean organizations in terms of resources and dollars but expectations on delivery and service are still very high. Many systems and processes feel like they're 'bandaged and duct taped together'.