CDW Reviews

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

1. Great workplace

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW

Pros

compensation, professional development, and benefits

Cons

management in some departments are lacking in leadership skills

Lack of structure and lack of big picture strategy

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees are innovative because there is basically no structure.
    Lots of food which is bad if you don't want to gain weight.
    Employee diversity - they are very supportive of gay rights.

Cons

No structure or systems in place across the board. Get your act together! No structure may have worked 20 years ago when CDW was a small company but if they expect to succeed long term they need to put some resources into building a structure or fail.

Big egos in middle to upper management - please leave your egos at the door. You're not that great. Sometimes I snicker inside or cringe in embarrassment at some of the self-appraising statements I hear. This group (middle to upper management) are way more unprofessional than other large companies I've worked for. It appears they try to hire women that fit the 'mold' however they tend to be high strung monsters to work for. Again, the egos at CDW tend to be out of control especially considering that no one in leadership I ever encountered attended above a tier 3 or 4 university. There is a lot of un-professionalism and nepotism in management which really kills the morale. The favoritism is rampant and to get ahead you better brown nose the right people and fit a certain mold.

Revolving door in sales - VERY HIGH turnover. You never know when your 'coworker' or manager is just going to disappear one day. The company fires people for stupid reasons - usually it's political. They must have to pay a lot of unemployment compensation. Employees feel like there is an invisible hatchet over their neck - not a great way to promote good employee morale. In fact, it seems it's counterproductive. I have seen really good account managers start to fail when they're 'scolded' for inconsequential issues.

Strategic big-picture thinking is not encouraged. Instead there is a lot of micromanaging and focus on unimportant details while missing the big picture completely.

An immature culture - lower/middle management does a lot of finger-pointing and blaming. Lots of nice, hardworking people have had to leave the company because a woman above them has control issues. Make sure when you promote a 'coworker' to be a people manager that the power over others doesn't go to their head. Also, start making them accountable for what goes on under them. A failing employee is usually due to a lack of clear direction and the ability to motivate and grow. Treating human beings the same way you'd treat your dog when they have an accident in the house is demeaning!!! I have also noticed a lot of condescending management styles and the use of humiliation to correct errors. Not a great way to get the best from your employees and it makes it very awkward for coworkers like me that cringe when we see this. Remember it's not just stressful for you and the person being 'scolded like a child' - it's very stressful for others around them. Be professional and take care of this stuff behind closed doors. Embarrassment and demeaning adults = bad management. Childish behavior from people in management should NOT be encouraged.

The communications in this company are horrible! Not only do we rarely hear anything to explain company goals by the executives but when I have seen communications, I cringe at the grammatical errors and inability to articulate strategy clearly. Seriously the entire top tier of CDW needs some housecleaning!!!

I really don't see this company succeeding long term.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away our commissions and realize the goals you are setting are getting impossible to meet. I can't wait to leave!!

Work on being able to articulate the WHY and HOW of the company's strategy and goals. If you can't clearly explain it, how do you expect your employees to adopt it.

Stop using the word 'coworker' instead of 'employee' - it comes across as totally insincere in your authoritative company culture. We're not stupid.

Your pay is substandard. If you want to keep great employees, reward them with money. Daycare centers and workout centers don't apply to a lot of employees. We show up to work for pay to support our families, not bagels.

Develop more trust in your employees instead of trying to spy on them. Your new cubicle design will not foster collaboration. It will cause even more infighting and distractions. I can't stand having to sit next to someone who's very loud on the phone. I need to concentrate to do my work. Executives, if you like that design so much then maybe you should give up your large private offices and collaborate with each other. Maybe setting an example and walking your talk would get the rest of us on board. If not, then stop throwing us together like rats in an overcrowded cage.

I am spending a lot of my efforts in finding a job with a company that pays better. Hopefully before I have to share a cube with 6 'coworkers.'

The working from home program is a joke. You can just tell management wants to get rid of it.

If you work hard you can go far in this company.

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

5. Overall experience is positive.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the work atmosphere. Everyone seems to enjoy working for the company and there are a lot of perks with the job.

Cons

Base salary is very low compared to the rest of the industry. Sometimes the account managers have to compete with fellow account managers from other segments even though at the end of the day we are all working for the same company.

Advice to Management

Management should all be on the same page when it comes to the message that we all work for the same company and there is no need to compete with each other when it comes to who should keep an account.

6. Extremely satisfying, equally as challenging.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is very hands on training, along with highly intelligent sales instructors. They help you along every step of the way to ensure you are a factual, polished, ready to take on the world type of Account Manager.

Cons

4 weeks of classroom, 8-5 training (which is a pro too) then 5 months of being in the academy (which is more of a pro as well)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You are making this sales training so enjoyable.

7. I feel that CDW is more like a family than just a business.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have a new Manager and Supervisor. They more in-tune with the team and our work ethic.

Cons

Our department isn't allowed any "Work from home" days, while every other department in this company has designated days.

Advice to Management

Give us the ability to Work From Home.

8. This is truly a company that, not only wants to be successful, but wants it's coworkers to be successful too!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company cares about it's coworkers. They are conscious of the work/life balance. They treat their coworkers with respect and are fair. They are involved in their community and humanitarian efforts. They keep their coworkers informed on company matters. They do a good job of explaining why they take certain actions and what it means to us.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. CDW is a great place to work!

9. An Amazing Career

Current Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

The Coworkers at CDW bring me to work every day! The atmosphere and the energy of the coworkers and management makes the days go by so fast. There are opportunities for leadership promotions you just have to map your path and work hand & hand with your manager to make sure you are doing the best you can daily.
    Hard work does pay off at CDW.

Cons

Not enough coworkers in several departments to meet the demand of our growing company.
    Five sick days a year is not enough time for the year.

Advice to Management

Inspire your teams not talk at them.
    Make sure you are on the same page as your team. Find out what make them happy instead of what makes you happy.
    Stop micro-managing! Give coworkers the freedom to work the hours they feel best to serve their customers.
    Not everyone is a morning person.
    Treat your coworkers with respect and you will get in return.

10. Hard to get started, but potential if you stick around and enjoy cold calling

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly atmosphere, and the potential to move up and make money. Lots of freebies given out and there are some amazing training programs for various technology systems you can take advantage of. Definitely, take advantage of the certs. Also, building relationships with your clients and helping them out with their IT needs is a rewarding experience. I tended to go out of my way just to make my consistent clients happy; that's a great feeling.

Cons

There is a lot of cold calling to begin with, and if you're not comfortable with that, this is not the place for you. Being successful really depends on the region you are in and the support from your team when you first arrive. I, unfortunately, was lacking in both of those arenas and my temporary team leader was not all too helpful in terms of training, support, and being able to effectively progress our personal business with the clients. I felt more like a telemarketer rather than a salesman. CDW hires A LOT of people right out of college and the turnover rate is enormous. Six months in less than half of my initial training team was there and morale was pretty low. That's how they weed people out (and find their talent). Also, territorial disputes between your own team members is pretty common. Many coworkers on my regional team had this, "I have mine, I don't care about you" attitude on the team. They were focused more on making their money on their paycheck (commission) rather than trying to build a stronger team.

Advice to Management

Smaller training teams would be vastly beneficial and more direct connect with your actual team. If they focused more on sales training and ways that we could effectively sell these products, I probably would have stayed longer. There just wasn't any real, tangible or meaning support.

11. CDW is a performance oriented company. CDW seeks to give its coworkers every chance at providing an amazing performance.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworker relations, fair treatment, safe work environment, internal promotion prospects, support and training provided, benefits and incentives, and fair wages.

Cons

Best practices take a tad more time to implement, but its because someone is making sure that the decisions that are made are sound. Even still a lot of high quality work is accomplished quickly more often than not.

Advice to Management

Continue to attract and retain great talent and customers and youll continue to be the empoyer of choice.