CDW

Updated Feb 10, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard to get started, but potential if you stick around and enjoy cold calling

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, friendly atmosphere, and the potential to move up and make money. Lots of freebies given out and there are some amazing training programs for various technology systems you can take advantage of. Definitely, take advantage of the certs. Also, building relationships with your clients and helping them out with their IT needs is a rewarding experience. I tended to go out of my way just to make my consistent clients happy; that's a great feeling.

ConsThere is a lot of cold calling to begin with, and if you're not comfortable with that, this is not the place for you. Being successful really depends on the region you are in and the support from your team when you first arrive. I, unfortunately, was lacking in both of those arenas and my temporary team leader was not all too helpful in terms of training, support, and being able to effectively progress our personal business with the clients. I felt more like a telemarketer rather than a salesman. CDW hires A LOT of people right out of college and the turnover rate is enormous. Six months in less than half of my initial training team was there and morale was pretty low. That's how they weed people out (and find their talent). Also, territorial disputes between your own team members is pretty common. Many coworkers on my regional team had this, "I have mine, I don't care about you" attitude on the team. They were focused more on making their money on their paycheck (commission) rather than trying to build a stronger team.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmaller training teams would be vastly beneficial and more direct connect with your actual team. If they focused more on sales training and ways that we could effectively sell these products, I probably would have stayed longer. There just wasn't any real, tangible or meaning support.

CDW is a performance oriented company. CDW seeks to give its coworkers every chance at providing an amazing performance.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood coworker relations, fair treatment, safe work environment, internal promotion prospects, support and training provided, benefits and incentives, and fair wages.

ConsBest practices take a tad more time to implement, but its because someone is making sure that the decisions that are made are sound. Even still a lot of high quality work is accomplished quickly more often than not.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to attract and retain great talent and customers and youll continue to be the empoyer of choice.

Telemarketing

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

Prosfree things, great relationships and what not--- thats about it

ConsNo oppurtunities in small business

Advice to Senior Managementhelp your employees move up in the company

A great place for career growth and potential.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUnlimited earning potential
Promote within
Leadership training a programs
Internal opportunities

ConsLots of competition
Challenging beginning of career for sales

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue reviewing the business and keeping your eye on the future of the organization. Our business has changed many times in the close to 30ish years and CDW continues to be well positioned for success and growth. Usually the tough decisions are the ones that leap an organization forward.

Great growing company, greate environment, and great people!

Senior Sales Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can work in the City, or in the Suburbs. A growing company means that there are plenty of opportunities to advance. The Directors and VPs are involved at all levels so it's not uncommon to be in focus groups or meetings with them actively participating. Great extra-curricular activities for families such as free admission to museums, family friendly holiday parties, and a whole day at Six Flags reserved only for CDW employees.

ConsThe work can get monotonous so the job is going to be as fun as you make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, we appreciate it!

Happily employed at CDW

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCDW is a stable company that does look out for employees' well being. I have met so many friends here and honestly enjoy coming to work each day.

ConsStandard issues that every large company deals with. Politics get in the way of decisions and too many cooks in the kitchen stalls progress and makes the company less agile. Allow employees to make more decisions at a quicker pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of politics and make decisions. Stand behind employees.

Misleading, Waste of your time

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsCDW is a great company to be apart of. They really take care of their employees and make you feel very welcome.
Training program is very good. Looks great on resumes.

ConsIt's like being in kindergarten. You will find a lot of drama if something slips up. This includes just having conversation at lunch with an co-worker, if it gets out, expect to be brought into a conference room and yelled at.

The base pay is 25k and there is really no potential to make any commision. The accounts are tapped out. You will find yourself cold calling accounts that a previous account manager called a week ago. It is not unlikely for you to be told to "F-OFF" when you call or just blatenly get yelled at by these companies. Stay AWAY FROM MED-LAR Segment. Get into small business where you are just receiving calls from customers and taking orders. Guaranteed commission that way. The guys right out of training were making 35-40k just by answering the phone and placing orders. No cold calling.

Like I said stay away from Med-Lar, they have currently implemented a new program, where if you do not hit your sales quota, there's a box, fill it up and leave, your fired.

Accounts are tapped out!!!! I can't emphasize this enough. You may get lucky and find a diamond in the rough, but it is very unlikely.

Insite and Dell are you biggest competitors and they will destroy you when it comes to a price battle!!! If you are going up against these companies in a quote, you will lose. You will have to sell the product at negative margin. CDW's prices are out of control and there is no room to compete. They train you to sell the services that CDW offers. SELL THE VALUE THEY TELL YOU! Well, they aren't that great because Insite and Dell piggy backs off CDW'S business model, lets them spend all the money to implement new services, copies it and adds it to their own. It's pathetic.

The only thing I can recommend since its a great company to be apart of is, stick out your 6 months- a year on the sales floor and transfer within the company. I wasn't told that this was possible until my exit interview. I was like thank you guys, would have loved to of stayed with the company but not through sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough of the kindergarten atmosphere with the she said he said garbage. It doesn't matter when your a fortune 500 company placing millions of dollars of orders a day. Employees will talk to one another, get over it and focus on your job.

Marginal

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW

Proscool people, good accounts to work with, easy to get time off.

ConsHorrible base pay. Large amount of favoritism.

Advice to Senior Managementhigher base pay

Good place to learn the ropes... and that's about it..

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW

ProsAs a new college graduate, CDW was very good to me in regards to training and teaching me how to successfully work in the IT industry. After 2-3 years at CDW as an Account Manager I had become very marketable to other IT companies in the industry. (Manufacturers and competitors)

ConsStaying past LOS 24 was a waste of my time.. (for the non-CDW folks, they measure their employees Length Of Service in MONTHS not years.. very telling).. CDW continuously decreases commissions by raising goals and/or trimming your account base by 20%.. They always give a good organizational reason for the changes but the net effect is always the same, less money in your pocket.. After 2-3 years I knew everything I needed to know to move to a competitor in the area that doesn't play games with compensation & accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing games with Account Manager's goals and customer bases.. You are encouraging your best and brightest Account Managers to leave.. They will rebuild their success over and over again until they eventually realize they can get off the CDW treadmill and rebuild somewhere else.

It's not what it used to be

Small Business Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW

ProsThe money is definately there if you're willing to work for it. The people that you meet there are for the most part fun loving and you're pretty much assured to find yourself a very solid group of friends. Depending on your skill sets, ambition, and patience there are more than just a few positions there that will certainly earn you more than a six figure salary. There is an overall feeling of friendly competition and commaradery that serves well for any sales driven individual.

ConsBecause the company is over 25 years old, the larger accounts that have real potential to spend are pretty much taken. That being the case, you have to work a LOT harder these days starting out to build a book of business. They don't do anything for you in bringing you new (good) leads so you're pretty much on your own. Even if you decide you want to purchase your leads, you still have to take into account that there is a very real possibility that those organizations are already in the system and most likely being worked. There is also a lot of "red tape" for lack of a better word that you'll end up dealing with internally to fill orders for your customers. More than you should have to deal with working for an organization with our capabilities that is. Your manager can make or break you. In the event that you get one with a "hands off" approach or one with a "by the book" attitude, you will find yourself VERY frustrated and finding a way to work around that will put a lot of stress on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining talent was listed as one of the goals for 2010. CDW needs to do a lot more to take a proactive approach in assessing who they consider worth retaining, and working with them in a no nonsense manner to correct the issues that they bring to the table. You'll find that the ones that are ready to leave, still love what they do, they simply are losing faith in their companies ability to or willingness to help us do what we tell our customers we're going to do for them.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Mettawa, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.