CIT

CIT Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

CIT Chairman and CEO John A. Thain

John A. Thain

Pros
  • Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not in touch with all of the businesses(in 7 reviews)

• this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon(in 4 reviews)

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCIT Group is a great Company to work for. Management is very dedicated to training younger employees. They go over and beyond to help new analyst. Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance.

ConsCompany is in a transition right now, limited growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the training, it shows you are dedicated toward your employees.

CIT is definitely no 7-Eleven--It's far worse!

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

ProsBenefits, some decent salaries, advancement (if you have the right friends), title (if you have the right friends),, Ability to land a very well-paid job with CIT (no experience required) if you were friends with the right people (CIO, CAO, COO, etc.)

ConsIf you're not friends with an officer (CIO, COO, CAO, etc.), look elsewhere if you want a decent job (min: director-level or above). Bottom line: CIT IT CIO takes care of her own.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the mass exodus begin whenever CIO leaves CIT. No new management team would tolerate this level of nepotism!.

Was a great company to work for several years ago.

ProsAt one time seemed very interested in development, training, and advancement of employees. May not be too far gone to get some of that back.

ConsIn the past year or two, Integrity and honor seems to have been replaced by the typical big bank "everyone is replaceable at any moment for any reason" stance. Pays well but certainly isn't a stable work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. The decisions coming from executive row seem to be made in a vacuum, at least with regards to working conditions or employee relations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A casualty of Cost Cutting

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

ProsGreat Co workers, 401k contribution and in my former department flexible work hours

ConsManagement does not care about worker bees anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of highly paid senior managers and save the people who do the work.

More interested in "not losing" than in "winning".

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThis is a great place to work if you want to have good benefits, a nice cafeteria, and very little challenge in your work. Would be good for employees of the DMV, for example. Only exception is Transportation business, which is a great business full of great employees working extremely hard to lead and innovate. Without Transportation, this firm would be a distant memory.

ConsSystems are antiquated and there is no money for investment. The business are old, low risk, low return, and dying on the vine. Leadership is more interested in risk and compliance than in actually doing business, and after all the mistakes that have been made by the firm, they are more interested in making sure that investors are happy than whether its a good firm. Employees are either brand new and amazed at how backward the place is, or have 20 years experience and have completely forgotten how to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks!!! This firm is incredible - there are Risk people everywhere, but the firm takes no risk. It's beyond bizarre.

15 year employee - good experience

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood compensation, flexibility in working arrangements

ConsNot great on the vision thing; business model needs work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR runs the place - is that how you really want to roll?

Nice People! But a very unpleasant place to work!

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThere are none! Most of the people there are very nice. But there is not much else to say!

Cons1) The corporate culture is awful
    2) There is little to no employee development, continuing education, training etc.
    3) The firm's offices are 20 years out of date and the office equipment and offices are a wreck. The carpets are stained everywhere.
    4) The firms technology, systems and infrastructure is pitiful. There is a high turnover in the technology group.
    5) Each of the operating units is run like it is a separate company and there is little synergies, coordination or cooperation.
    6) There is little ambition among employees. It seems that many stay for a few years until something better comes along
    7) The firms finance, risk, credit and other policies and procedures are very outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think John Thane and Scott Parker need to rip the firm apart and rebuild it from the ground up. What they have now is very broken and unfixable!

It was the most toxic, compliance driven company I have ever worked for in my 20 year career

Director (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

ProsPay is decent, good 401k. Free parking. Some really good people.

ConsThose really good people suffer on an every day basis. Leadership very impressed with themselves but in reality are weak. HR has no credibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementBlow up the HR dept. Start at the top

A company on the rise with strong history

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsSmall company, good culture and people, good benefits, less stress than other New York Bank Holding Companies.

ConsThis is a 100 plus year old firm which is in transition. the business is growing, evolving and this can be a challenge for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the core values on which the firm was based while focusing on employees - great and satisfied employees will make the firm succeed; overlooked and underpaid employees will do the opposite.

Good Team

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat people, reasonable hours (not IB hours)

ConsCIT has terrible IT systems

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for CIT? Contribute to the Community!