CNA

CNA Reviews

Updated Apr 03, 2014

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed

Tom Motamed

Pros:
  • "Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is not a valued trait in the culture"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Senior management is out-of-touch with the reality of what line level employees have to face every day"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Financial Analayst

I have been working at CNA

ProsGood Company for a break in corporate world...

ConsPersonally it's not that easy to move around or grove in this type of industry... more competitive environment..

Horrific place to be!!! Very hostile environment!

Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CNA as a contractor for less than a year

ProsUnfortunately, I have no pros about this company whatsoever.

ConsI have never seen discrimination to this magnitude. My first week here was a nightmare. I was thrown in to sink or swim and had no adequate training. Spoken to without dignity or respect as a professional. Overworked and underpaid. The management doesn't value employees but label you as a number instead. Its a constant revolving door around here. One slight mistake and they are out for blood which is your job. I'm interviewing as we speak and will never consider anyone to work here. The processes in place are completely terrible. There are a lot of meeting with no real resolutions. When I came in here there were 2 people who where in the process of leaving and now 2 weeks later another 2 is leaving. I have only been here for 60 days and ready to run. I have to say that this was the biggest mistake in my career and I'm completely mortified. I came from work environments that were pleasant with positive reinforcement. You were compensated for hard work and accomplishments. I have never seen so many AVP's and SVP's that have no one that report to them, completely incompetent and look down on people with smaller titles. They are big on titles and small on hard work of others. Nevertheless, for those that are considering an opportunity with this circus please reconsider. You have more clowns in here than real people. Don't make the mistake that I did with the big pretty building and the lake view. When I read all of the bad reviews, I knew I was not going crazy here. I'm so grateful to stumble on this site. To have real people on here that feel the same way and to voice it is amazing. I didn't get a degree and have 15 years of experience to be not treated like this. The employees that work here need to put a serious lawsuit in for discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top. Value your employees, make some serious upgrades to the technology and start a business approach that makes sense.

Senior management great, great company, however my director partially ruined my experience at CNA.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than a year

ProsVery intelligent senior management. Very knowledgeable upon the industry, friendly and respectful to staff members. Senior management for the most part does not specifically create a feeling of superiority. Can move very easily throughout the company. Compensation is competitive.

ConsMy Director was not well informed on the insurance industry and did not have a sufficient knowledge on basic accounting, therefore it was very hard to learn from him.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from the "same as last time approach", if you ask you employees to try something completely new, it will identify the strong performers from the performers who only know how to copy and paste from last month.

Htrsy Vom[smu

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA place where you move up or move to many departments. They support transferring from one department to another. If you like hard work and new experience this is the place for you.Great benefits and compensation. And they have continuing education, they support higher learning.

ConsThere are no downsides, great place to work expect sometime you may have mandatory overtime.

Good people. Bad management.

IT - Developer (Current Employee)
Chicago (Philippines)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of great people in the rank and file. Great location by the lake.

ConsManagement is awful. They treat everyone under them as dirt the can and should be replaced. No respect. Delivery dates are set before scope is contemplated. Subject Matter experts were fired several years ago and contractors have no idea of what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees and they will deliver. Shackle them and treat them badly, and they will falter. It is pretty easy.

Big Mistake in my career path. Only consider if you have no other options.

Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay and Benefits. Pay is a pro until you have to look for another job. If you want to keep a good face in the market place this company is not for you.

ConsHorrible leadership. Management is cold and heartless. The company has high turnover and no regard for you personally. Past employees should consider coming together to file a lawsuit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked for several insurance companies and never experienced the mistreatment like I did at CNA. The word has caught on and agencies are fully aware of the behavior of management toward employees. Insured's will be the next. I can promise you if insured's understood the culture at CNA they wouldn't place coverage with this company.

Not Given

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time

ProsThey spend money, but not on bettering the workplace, benefits or moral, mainly on executive projects and bonuses.

ConsOutsourced IT Operations lead to slow response and inability to execute on projects. Leadership did not accept accountability nor do anything to resolve the issues with the outsourcer. Leadership is overpaid and lack interpersonal and communication skills. They use intimidation to get their way.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and bring in younger more talented leaders that understand employee value.

CNA what could be

Policy Service Representative (Current Employee)
Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at CNA full-time for less than a year

ProsWork and life balance, amazing managers

ConsHard to move up; large work load, no direction with work loads

Advice to Senior Managementstart developing plans rather than always being in damage control

Run away and do not look back - terrible leadership, mediocre work, low pay, 1950's culture

PSR (Former Employee)
Littleton, CO (US)

I worked at CNA full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people I worked with were some of the most supportive people I have ever met. Great sense of community among them. Decent work/life balance.

ConsA hostile workplace culture where turnover is extremely high; bad pay that does not reflect the stress placed on you by the job and micro managing management; a management team that thinks they are always right and does not value their employees; dress clothes everyday; very little room for growth - even if more than qualified. The list goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease resign and go back to business school. This is not how a company in 2013 should be run.

Wish upper management would value employees more

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRotational program for people right out of college. Encourage movement within the company.

ConsManagement is under the impression that people can be easily replaced instead of valuing the people they have. Want to do more with less - it's getting to the point where we are working more hours because the workload keeps increasing but getting no added benefits or compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees you have

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CNA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CNA CEO Tom Motamed. All 173 reviews are posted anonymously by CNA employees.