CVS Caremark

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.7 2,777 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say(in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees(in 143 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful(in 129 reviews)

2,777 Employee Reviews

Good Career Scope and Great Place for Sincere Employees I have been working in QA Info Tech for the past three years.

Software Testing Manager (Current Employee) Noida

ProsGreat working environment where people mean serious business. All employees are very cooperative and skilled, which helps an employee to grow. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend who wants a defined growth in his/her career.

ConsFrankly speaking, I don't find any downside working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlready doing a good job and expect to keep maintaining that. Just try to look into the employee policies.

30 year manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsManager can control the schedule they work, for now.

ConsCorporate is trying to micromanage stores more and more every day. Reports for everything (too much paper work)! If you can make it out of the office, you can get your every day management duties completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to micromanage from corporate. Cut down on the paper work! We can provide better customer service if we didn't have to make an action plan every month that can't turn numbers within a 3 to 4 week period. Use more common sense. We can tell that some of you have never stepped in a store and have never worked in a retail environment. Don't hire manager trainees from out side the company, promote from within. They should be a shift B for a year are more to be put into this roll. Pharmacy Tech training program is a joke! More on the job training needed! Stop trainers from pushing new hires through training so quickly, just to make their numbers for getting training complete.

It's a hit and miss

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsI have friendly co workers. CVS is a great job for those who love to help others. A lot of the customers are very friendly. Some call me by my name, which makes transactions seem personal. CVS is very accommodating when it comes to suiting your schedule. Because no one works the same days each week, changes to your time of availability can be accommodated. As a part time cashier, I sometimes get about 23 hours per week and sometimes 33 hours per week. Some supervisors and managers are nice. The job is never boring. A lot of promotion opportunities. Training for higher positions can easily be completed online. Employees get 30% off CVS brand items, 20% non CVS brand items. The 15 minute break per 6 hour shift (or two 15 minute break per 8 hour shift) are paid breaks.

ConsOrientation is very long. It's 12 hours long and divided in two days. The raise is only 2% per year. If you don't have much job experience when you get hired at CVS, your hourly wage might be as low as minimum wage. Some managers don't have realistic expectations and are unreasonable. As a cashier, I am on my feet all day. Meal breaks are only 30 minutes long and are unpaid breaks. I'm not getting the best training due to the store being too busy. Store is a bit disorganized. Online assessments are very time consuming.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf customer support is the most important thing about CVS, hire more people. The store I'm working in is clearly understaffed. Calling for backup is usually not possible due to the store being understaffed. Because of this, the store's customer experience score is very low. Management sometimes forgets to give me my thirty minute breaks. Also, if you expect so much out of a cashier, you should be paying them more than minimum wage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Summerfield, FL (US)

ProsThey provide lots of training and help you get certified and registered with your state for credentialing.

ConsFull Time is only 30 hours per week. Since they will discontinue all cigarette sales as of 10/1/14, they are trying to make up for lost revenues by cutting hours. I work between 2-3 stores in a week just to meet my 30 hours.

Absolutely fantastic, just wish we had better customers.

Cashier Sales Associate (Current Employee) Yukon, OK (US)

ProsI mean I work in probably the most small CVS there is, so we're always having to substitute things that we don't usually carry in the first place, or send customers on their way to Walgreen right down the street, but here's the thing I love; we're not 24 hours, like others are. You can get some free stuff when you check for out of dates in the food sometimes. You meet some very interesting characters, especially when you work right across from a retirement home.

ConsI only got to start off 55 cents more than my very first job. My hours there were structured and sure, never changing, so looking back at it now, I'd probably have much more money than if I just stayed there. 10 months into working at CVS and I'm only making 7.80. Yes! It is better than minimum wage, but again, only by 55 cents. I have to deal with all kinds of the scum of the earth, be it grouchy old people who's families dropped them off at Spanish Cove and never came back, or creepy vendors always asking to take me for a drink. I'm grateful that I'm still underage whenever it happens. Shifts are normally five hours, unless you're the store manager then you work 8 to 6 every weekday. They are kind of flexible. When I started I didn't get more than 17 hours a week though. Now I average around 26-27, but it's not enough and I'm considering leaving. I'm single and live at home with my parents and little sister, but I pay like half the rent because my parents can't save their own money and feel it's their right to take mine, but "as long as I'm under their roof"... This isn't a very good job if you need to get on your feet. It will help get you're shoes on, but other than that all you get is rainy day money.

Oh, and I'm the only person running the registers during the mornings... I work with the actual store manager everyday and I call him up when we get swamped but he never comes so I always have to apologize for the wait as I keep ringing for my manager to come up front. Basically, at my store at least, there are no more than two people running the registers and working on the floor, doing prices changes, front and facing, new planograms, push, BOH, overstock... The list goes on and on. We are worked to the bone every time we walk in there, but the people work with make it worth it. It's very free to speak your mind and opinions there. It's also mainly women that work there too. Like three out of the fifteenish people that work here at any given moment are male.

Oh, and no one is full time there save for the Store Manager. We don't make enough for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBorrow cashiers from other stores to help. DM is hating all the complaints of customers waiting for someone to come up and check them out. Borrow someone to just watch the front so that more work can get done and we can get better MyCustomer and now MyImpact scores.

Most jobs part time - understaffed - unappreciated

Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsBenefits are good - training is okay - not organized.

ConsMost jobs are part time - not enough hours with a family to support. Walmart-like since I had to apply for food stamps in order to have enough groceries to feed my family between pay periods. (every two weeks)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get 40 hours - give at least 30-32 hours to all of your employees---you are BIG ENOUGH -- don't become a Walmart - not enough hours + not enough money - forced to apply for public aid.

unreasonable expectations with lack of support

CVS Store Manager (Former Employee) Canton, MI (US)

ProsReputation and market position as leader in Rx retail segment. Learnnet is a satisfactory learning and educational tool.

ConsLack of management support. Constant unfavorable realignment of budget expectations, while performance continues to improve and bottom line increases. Conflicting support of core initiatives, want us to provide the highest level of customer service, while reducing payroll hours. Disservice to employees who dedicate their lives to the success of this company, no real recognition or appreciation from mid through senior level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a genuine effort to recognize performing stores/pharmacies with additional payroll and recognition. Stop reducing payroll in high volume store environments, you have succeeded in squeezing blood from the stone.

Overwork, and under paid.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat sales prices when they are having a sale. The discount is awesome. The extra bucks I love them....

ConsNeed more payroll hours, can't give great customer service when you don't have people to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving big bonus to the District manager when they save payroll. You are cutting your throat. .We need payroll in the stores. The customers need help on the sales floor. When need more staff to work, not only on truck day. If we are busy at the cash wrap. Two at the register, there is nobody on the sales floor. So no work is getting done, and shrink. Are you here to make money or lose money. Oh that's right SHRINK is a write off in of the year. We want to have a good inventory, good sales and great customer service. But where's the HELP. People are looking for good jobs to stayed. So listen when the staff is talking. I wish someone could go on the UNDERCOVER BOSS show from this company.

Good job.

Photo Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI (US)

ProsBenefits even for part time employees, 401K and stock options were a great added benefit.

ConsManagement needs more training and structure. Employees need to be incentivised to work for the management. Currently the management and District Managers have an incentive program, bonuses which does not flow down to the hourly staff such as the Shift Supervisors, cashiers, etc.

Advice to Senior Managementsee above.

Great company to work for, but you better be willing to work

Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGreat pay, Great benefits, good opportunity for advancement.

ConsYour experience with CVS can vary greatly based on local leadership. things can vary greatly from district to district

Advice to Senior ManagementHold all employees accountable, not just the managers. change pharmacist to a salaried position. If you want them paid hourly, then pay them for the frequent mandatory meetings that occur every time a new program is rolled out.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!