Cambridge Associates, LLC

www.cambridgeassociates.com

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Cambridge Associates, LLC – Boston – “A global leader of investment advisory services”

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie

Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates (in 22 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive (in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsMuch like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

ConsThe organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

Great firm

Senior Consulting Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsGood culture, well-respected firm and good work-life balance

ConsNot the highest pay in the investment world, but that goes for all consultants

Great culture/learning opportunities, but non-competitive salary for hours demanded

Senior Consulting Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Pros-Culture is great--firm-wide outing, good benefits (vacation time is generous), friendly team-centric atmosphere
    -Lots of young people in associate/analyst roles makes for a social firm
    -PD is highly encouraged--opportunity to attend and present at client meetings early on, business schools present at the office, attending manager meetings is encouraged and open to all
    -Opportunity to learn about all asset classes and work on many different client types
    -Associates who want to go onto business school get into top ten schools regularly and the CA name is well known and respected, at least in Boston

Cons-The salary is not competitive in the finance or consulting industries, and while the entry level salary is okay, the promotion increases and bonuses are basically non-existent which can be demoralizing
    -While the Associate group is very social and bonds quickly over the long hours, at times morale can be low among the group because the pay is really not commensurate with the hours expected and frustration breeds
    -Promotions are decided by "peer" leaders, who read the feedback from the consultants you work with and then summarize it and present it to you. This quickly becomes a popularity contest and puts an unnecessary "middle man" in the feedback loop.

Advice to Senior Management-Increase the pay jump for the promotion between Consulting Associate and Senior Consulting Associate
    -Recognize that burnout is a real threat to providing high quality service to our clients, and don't trim the number of Associates when you think about tightening the budgets--a small trim makes a real negative impact on the group and on our work/life balance
    -Don't cut the auxiliary team opportunities as Associates are more in demand on client work--this is a major recruiting draw for undergraduates coming out of college and is valuable to both their PD and the firm, as they provide marketing, Excel, Recruiting, etc. support

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cambridge Associates - Manager Information Group

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

Pros- Overtime not required very often
    - Access to robust database of research and historical data
    - Intelligent and friendly colleagues
    - Cheap movie tickets

Cons- IT challenged
    - Incompetent management at lower levels
    - Ineffective with internal communication
    - Limited opportunities for advancement
    - Unsatisfactory training at most levels

Advice to Senior ManagementHeading in the right direction with benefits, but will not be truly effective in retaining talent until salaries increase

Not bad as a starting job.

ProsWork / Life balance is pretty decent.

ConsPay is not competitive for the field.

Excellent experience where I learned a lot very quickly and had access to incredibly talented investment professionals.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsGood work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly.

ConsThere is a ceiling on how high you can move up and the pay grades by department are a little skewed. Like most other finance jobs, associates do the leg work and don't get recognized for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize young employees better so that you retain talent longer. Provide more career opportunities into middle management positions.

Smart colleagues, changing department with lots of opportunities, but long and unpredictable hours detract from job

Team Lead and Investment Performance Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsThis is a changing firm and department with a relatively new management team (about a year tenure). The new management team is dedicated to the department and has put PRG on the right track. Employee engagement increased significantly with the new management team, which I felt was a big positive. Because of the changes there are lots of opportunities within the department to get noticed and grow. If you put yourself out there and get involved, then the managing team will notice you and reward you for your dedication. Colleagues are smart, and you get access to a lot of great research, as well as access to hedge fund and long-only managers. I think this is a good place for an entry level individual, as you will learn valuable skills and get access to really smart people.

ConsThe hours can be long and unpredictable, especially around 7-12th business days each month, depending on your client load. Also the ability to move elsewhere in the company isn't clear. If you are not entry level and have a few years of work experience, the growth potential is not as great as fresh out of college.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the plan to improve the department and keep engaging employees.

Good company

ProsGood exposure to investments and great people to work with

ConsAverage compensation, lack of IT resources

Save Your Soul; Do NOT work in IT!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsFlexible hours, good work/life balance, very friendly people to work with.

ConsCompensation is a JOKE. If you're a developer, you will never use the latest technologies. 90% of our applications are not MVC based and because we are not a tech firm, there is no interest in pushing for using more robust languages or technologies. If you try to push for making something better or faster by implementing a new process or framework, you will get shut down because everyone in IT is afraid of change. Most developers have been around since the early 90s and have not bothered to learn any new languages since then (all while getting cost of living raises throughout the years). All of our new applications and new projects are being completely outsourced and costing the firm hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Developer roles are now completely support based, no new development is happening.

This is an investing firm, not a tech firm and IT is always considered a support role to the firm's decisions. Currently everyone in the firm thinks IT is a joke because we have major operational issues and cannot keep servers running smoothly. This then drives the idea that we need to outsource everything instead of promoting/hiring people who actually know what they're doing.

Don't be a part of this sinking ship.

Fraternity Like Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsIt's a decent job if you're fresh out of college. The pay is nothing special, but it will pay your bills. No real chance for upward mobility unless you get an MBA. Generally recruits undergraduates out of liberal arts colleges, very Caucasian heavy office with young guys and gals who recruit people who are similar to themselves, and thus the fraternal like culture.

ConsNo real diversity, it would be nice to talk to a colleague who isn't stuck in the past about they glory days of Friday nights on campus.

Pay isn't too good

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new fresh blood from different backgrounds besides your typical fraternity/sorority brother or sister.

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!