Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated 4 December 2014
3.7

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie
Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • Good work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly (in 24 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive (in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Cambridge Associates - Manager Information Group

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Overtime not required very often
    - Access to robust database of research and historical data
    - Intelligent and friendly colleagues
    - Cheap movie tickets

Cons

- IT challenged
    - Incompetent management at lower levels
    - Ineffective with internal communication
    - Limited opportunities for advancement
    - Unsatisfactory training at most levels

Heading in the right direction with benefits, but will not be truly effective in retaining talent until salaries increase

Great culture/learning opportunities, but non-competitive salary for hours demanded

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Culture is great--firm-wide outing, good benefits (vacation time is generous), friendly team-centric atmosphere
    -Lots of young people in associate/analyst roles makes for a social firm
    -PD is highly encouraged--opportunity to attend and present at client meetings early on, business schools present at the office, attending manager meetings is encouraged and open to all
    -Opportunity to learn about all asset classes and work on many different client types
    -Associates who want to go onto business school get into top ten schools regularly and the CA name is well known and respected, at least in Boston

Cons

-The salary is not competitive in the finance or consulting industries, and while the entry level salary is okay, the promotion increases and bonuses are basically non-existent which can be demoralizing
    -While the Associate group is very social and bonds quickly over the long hours, at times morale can be low among the group because the pay is really not commensurate with the hours expected and frustration breeds
    -Promotions are decided by "peer" leaders, who read the feedback from the consultants you work with and then summarize it and present it to you. This quickly becomes a popularity contest and puts an unnecessary "middle man" in the feedback loop.

-Increase the pay jump for the promotion between Consulting Associate and Senior Consulting Associate
    -Recognize that burnout is a real threat to providing high quality service to our clients, and don't trim the number of Associates when you think about tightening the budgets--a small trim makes a real negative impact on the group and on our work/life balance
    -Don't cut the auxiliary team opportunities as Associates are more in demand on client work--this is a major recruiting draw for undergraduates coming out of college and is valuable to both their PD and the firm, as they provide marketing, Excel, Recruiting, etc. support

Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Much like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Hire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

Great opportunity for knowledge building

Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A role in the Manager Information Group or Performance Reporting Group is a fantastic opportunity for individuals right out of college looking to break into developing asset class-based investing knowledge. The training program is not intimidating at all and allows individuals of all backgrounds to succeed, whether someone’s major was Finance, Accounting or French Literature; this also lends itself to those with more established careers that are looking for a switch into the investing world.

Cons

The role itself is a back-office support role; therefore someone is not going to be “making deals” or “making decisions.” However, the work an individual completes on a day-to-day, whether in Performance Reporting or the Manager Information Group, does help the front-office (consultants and research) to make the informed, thought-provoking decisions for Cambridge clients.

Reduce the hierarchal structure and allow all members of the department shape the direction. For all of the emphasis management places on feedback and communication, it would best serve them to utilize the thoughts and suggestions provided to them rather than asking for feedback then doing something completely different.

Excellent experience where I learned a lot very quickly and had access to incredibly talented investment professionals.

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly.

Cons

There is a ceiling on how high you can move up and the pay grades by department are a little skewed. Like most other finance jobs, associates do the leg work and don't get recognized for it.

Incentivize young employees better so that you retain talent longer. Provide more career opportunities into middle management positions.

Smart colleagues, changing department with lots of opportunities, but long and unpredictable hours detract from job

Current Employee - Team Lead and Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a changing firm and department with a relatively new management team (about a year tenure). The new management team is dedicated to the department and has put PRG on the right track. Employee engagement increased significantly with the new management team, which I felt was a big positive. Because of the changes there are lots of opportunities within the department to get noticed and grow. If you put yourself out there and get involved, then the managing team will notice you and reward you for your dedication. Colleagues are smart, and you get access to a lot of great research, as well as access to hedge fund and long-only managers. I think this is a good place for an entry level individual, as you will learn valuable skills and get access to really smart people.

Cons

The hours can be long and unpredictable, especially around 7-12th business days each month, depending on your client load. Also the ability to move elsewhere in the company isn't clear. If you are not entry level and have a few years of work experience, the growth potential is not as great as fresh out of college.

Continue the plan to improve the department and keep engaging employees.

Not bad as a starting job.

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Work / Life balance is pretty decent.

Cons

Pay is not competitive for the field.

Save Your Soul; Do NOT work in IT!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good work/life balance, very friendly people to work with.

Cons

Compensation is a JOKE. If you're a developer, you will never use the latest technologies. 90% of our applications are not MVC based and because we are not a tech firm, there is no interest in pushing for using more robust languages or technologies. If you try to push for making something better or faster by implementing a new process or framework, you will get shut down because everyone in IT is afraid of change. Most developers have been around since the early 90s and have not bothered to learn any new languages since then (all while getting cost of living raises throughout the years). All of our new applications and new projects are being completely outsourced and costing the firm hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Developer roles are now completely support based, no new development is happening.

This is an investing firm, not a tech firm and IT is always considered a support role to the firm's decisions. Currently everyone in the firm thinks IT is a joke because we have major operational issues and cannot keep servers running smoothly. This then drives the idea that we need to outsource everything instead of promoting/hiring people who actually know what they're doing.

Don't be a part of this sinking ship.

Good company

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Good exposure to investments and great people to work with

Cons

Average compensation, lack of IT resources

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice team, and working environment

Cons

Not so latest technology due to the financial platform, they are not a big fan of what is the latest technology.

Cambridge Associates, LLC Photos