Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore

Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible(in 22 reviews)

• Positive work environment, dedicated employees, good benefits package, profit sharing(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures(in 7 reviews)

• Minimum wage despite extensive experience(in 9 reviews)

great

Prosgood culture and company overall

Conslow pay, sometimes it feels like it is hard to move up

Advice to Senior Management-

Advertising

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat expierience. Learned a lot but a slow moving environment. Good people. Always liked my managers.

ConsNo focus on development. Need more opportunity to step outside of comfort zone. More training required as well

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus.

Great at corp. level but the franchising structure creates competition between stores that hinders sales/customer serv.

Showroom Sales Representative (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAt the corporate level they seem to be very organized and are constantly in touch with franchises to insure a consistent image. The managers at the franchise where I worked varied greatly like any business, but they do provide the necessary tools to be a good employee. (online & in-store training, personal understanding & support when necessary, etc.)

ConsAs with any retail job, expect to receive a fraction of what you feel you put in to the job in effort as compensation in return. Do keep in mind you likely have no tertiary education (or are currently completing it) if the previous statement applies, so you need to start somewhere. Hours available directly reflect sales numbers which can sometimes cause a vicious cycle in terms of being short-staffed and not being able to provide a consistent level of service (which further hurts sales). Lastly, because the stores are franchised and more often than not all the services such as assembly, repairs, and delivery are outside contracts with other small companies it makes it difficult to help a customer with any issue they may have had with another Canadian Tire franchise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything I have been witness to in my time at Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. showed me that it is a well operated company, but as mentioned some issues arise with the franchising.

Find a way to unite all of the stores through services etc. so that Floor Associates and Store Managers from different franchises don't appear to be competing for profit in front of customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good employees struggling to do their best with under staffing issues.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cobourg, ON (Canada)

ProsWe used to be a great team always there for each other. We used to look forward to coming in to work. We would share opinions talk about new products and had built up very good customer rapport.

ConsWe have been conquered and divided into a disfunctional stressed out horrible place to come to work. Feel guilty if we happen to be caught talking to each other. Never feel we have ac complished enough. Profit sharing that we never get to touch unless we quit, go to college or take out a mortgage!? New hire training..embarassing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the few valuable dedicated employees you do have left. 34 employees have gone since Sept 2013!! Most new hires if they stay will never have the same dedication or company pride.

Some Locations Better Than Others

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsI worked at a location in Waterloo by Ira Needles, and another in Rexdale, Etobicoke at the Customer Service desk. The location in Waterloo was amazing. Justin, the store owner was incredibly friendly, as were all the managers. It was a very positive work experience. I would recommend working there as a student. The location in Rexdale was awful. Management was rude, disrespectful and not supportive. They never wanted to help customers, and encouraged you not to too. The staff was also very lazy.

ConsInconsistency between store locations. Discouraging atmosphere at some locations.

If they still had room for temps to be hired permanent on their payroll,Canadian Tire wouldn't b a bad place to work.

ProsThis job is only good for developing Material handling equipment experience really.

ConsIt's only contractual work with no room to advance.They hire through Adecco,which is run by Canadian Tire.If you decide to work here you're gonna have to settle for 13bucks until your assignment is through before saying bye,bye to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you guys should free up some payroll space for new potential, temporary to permanent acquisition.There are people whose lives are complicated;people who are buried in debt and are looking for permanent work.These are hard working labourers.Besides,your workforce aren't getting any younger.

Working for an associate store

Store Manager (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGood experience in the customer relation environment. Lots of great opportunities in various stores in the chain across Canada. Good contact with experienced managers in the retail business. Good bonuses and a great expense coverage.

ConsAs a manager, it's a perquisite to do long hours per week, working on weekend and evening(multiple times a week). Pay was not very good, benefits were ok. In my experience, there's not enough HR in each store to deal with environment and welfare of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequieres a better training ressource for new employees. Improve relation with employees by having an HR Rep in each store.

so far so good ....

Parts/Automotive (Current Employee) Kamloops, BC (Canada)

Prosreasonable folks to work foe and with. enjoy the bossiness of the department. always something to do! they have benefits if you stay for a full year as well as a profit sharing.

Conslow starting pay, no overtime paid.

A large company with a small company feel

Automotive Supervisor (Former Employee) Ajax, ON (Canada)

ProsThe company has flexible hours and a great profit sharing plan. There are a lot of locations which means if you are willing to move from store to store you can really speed track a career in retail. The ownership structure of the company is also unique with it having dealers. This in my opinion allows you to have greater control on managing store activities while allowing you to be "your own boss" within a large national company.

ConsUnless you work for the corporation itself good salaries are generally restricted to people in general management/ store management (for the most part). In a busy store there are always abusive customers you have to deal with on a daily basis... This is compounded by the problem that you are generally working with unprofessional non-career oriented staff. Very few people go into retail to start a "career" its one of those industry's that people get thrown into

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate head office should put more effort into hiring from their dealers Internally. I get the feeling that a lot of corporate employees have no idea what workers on the ground floor have experienced. there were a lot of qualified individuals (myself being one of them) that struggled to get any contact with head office for future opportunities.

Working at CTC

Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat company to work for, excellent benefits

ConsA lot of competition for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to get more access to training

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!