Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Canadian Tire President, CEO, and Director Stephen G. Wetmore

Stephen G. Wetmore

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance; as a student or otherwise, your schedule will be flexible"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The benefits and profit sharing are good but the salary is below average"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance can be tough given intense retail and competitive pressures"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Minimum wage despite extensive experience"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Being a part of a team/family

Manager, IT (Former Employee)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork-life balance was important. People were appreciated for their contributions and everyone supported each other and helped each other out to achieve overall success.

ConsChanging forecast with trying to just get the latest technology and the whiz kids that come with the latest technology. Shift in caring for the individual contributors and focus on the bonuses for senior mgmt. team.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the individuals that do the work to make you successful. It is a team effort that drives the success with leaders that know when to listen to what their teams are saying and what the marketplace is driving towards. Being ahead of the curve is great but not at the expense of the indivudal contributors who help achieve the success you have.

Working with customers was great.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time for more than a year

ProsIf your going to school it would be a good job for students.
It would be a great place to work if your married.

ConsYou deal with everyday customers that come in in different moods everyday.
Customers are always looking for things that they cannot find so you try and help them as best as you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey all should have the same store hours even though they are all independently owned.

Canadian Tire has been a great career opportunity for me.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast paced work environment, multicultural environment, opportunity for career advancement, strong Canadian presence, profit sharing

ConsBenefits aren't the greatest, entry level wages are on the low end, low margin business contributes to very tight wage cost management resulting in demanding work environments for employees during slow periods of the year.

great work life balance, bad pay

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood work life balance
great location
great corporate Culture
great benefits package

ConsLower salaries compared to other top employers in the GTA
Slow promotion - mostly lateral movement every 2 years

Overall a good place to work with stability and opportunity for growth.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunities for continuing education; good compensation; good understanding of work-life balance. Vacation time allotments become generous with >5 years of service.

ConsOffice culture can be a little stale at time; general population tends to be older and slightly less motivated, mostly due to positives like good pay and company stability. Salary growth year over year isn't as high as other businesses unless you are promoted and move up in salary classification.

An okay experience, management was friendly.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Canadian Tire

ProsOrganized, pay and semi-flexible work week.

ConsSome difficult customers, physical environment not the best.

Great work culture.

I have been working at Canadian Tire

ProsDepending on the branch, very helpful, considerate, and hard-working individuals that put the team first in every aspect of the retail operations.

ConsMaintaining consistency in managing multiple tasks simultaneously at first would be a challenge such as price changes, merchandising projects, and customer service. However, you will adjust to it in no time once you get the hang of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication between Management and floor staff have the highest room for improvement. Nonetheless, great work environment.

Canadian Tire HO had great work environment with cooperative people making meaningful change in a tough retail industry

IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people were very cooperative and allowed you freedom to work independently, as well as contribute on team efforts. The company has a great benefits package and a very active employee staff association.

ConsProjects can get caught up in red tape when trying to make decisions and achieve project deliverables.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the strong communication of the company's long and short term goals.

Corporate Manager

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time

ProsPaid Education, profit sharing, benefits, teamwork

ConsBonus structure not transparent to staff

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Well led, hardworking company

Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto (Australia)

I have been working at Canadian Tire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCT has a lot of people that are great to work with and a positive work environment.
They share in their success through a great profit sharing program and promotions are very much performance based.

ConsWith the company being so much more aggressive now the pace of change is very fast and the demands on the employees have increased sharply. The result is stressful environment where there are not enough resources to get the job done well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemeber how valuable your employees are. Don't drive them away by making them choose between work and their families.

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!

Canadian Tire Videos

Canadian Tire – Why Work for Us?

Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited is one of Canada's most-shopped general retailers and the country's largest sporting goods retailer, with more than 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast. Our primary… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Canadian Tire reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Canadian Tire CEO Stephen G. Wetmore. All 195 reviews are posted anonymously by Canadian Tire employees.