CarMax Reviews

Updated 27 October 2014
3.2

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • Work life balance, great pay, advancement opportunities, amazing relocation program (in 26 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • As a full time sales consultant there is absolutely no work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Proud to work here at the Home Office!

I have been working at CarMax full-time

Pros

Flexible time-away (instead of counted vacation and sick days), great camaraderie, good work-life balance, good pay, and safe, comfortable environment. The company does what it says it does-- striving to produce an easy-to-shop car retail experience without greasy, cheesy salesmen; supports nonprofits across the country and encourages volunteer work; and tries very hard to keep CarMax a great place to work overall.

Cons

You can get locked into positions for a long time without being promoted "up." (Lateral moves are easier.) Sometimes, initiating new programs or change is very hard here (but one could say that about many places).

Keep listening to our ideas and giving us chances to show how well we know the company history and how much vision we have for its future.

The best job ever

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool environment, endless opportunities for commission, cool management, 40 hours a week, and non-aggressive

Cons

Because of no discounts/savings, there are months of light traffic

Great place to work! Career growth opportunity great!

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company truly cares about the individual looking to improve, self development. Fun atmosphere, nice benefits!

Cons

Not enough time in the day to complete everything Sr. Management requires of the managers. You have to enjoy what you are doing, and where you work to put in the extra hours needed. Although you will, still need extra hours to complete the work load.

At times, Sr Management puts to much on your plate, and they don't recognize how this can drain your spirits.

Good opportunity to make a lot of money

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Good traffic of opportunities to sell cars

Cons

A lot of shoppers that do not buy from CarMax and only want to test drive or have their vehicle appraised. Long hours to make good money

Do not hire a influx of new sales people when traffic does not demand it.

Sales at carmax

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Duarte, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Duarte, CA (US)

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best reasons are that it is a great place to learn about sales and customer service.

Cons

Not enough compensation per vehicle sold

Up the commission

The people, the philosophy of business, the outreach to community, and the training are the best I have ever seen in one company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at CarMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Without a doubt, the best people to work with.

Cons

Wearing khaki pants is a con, a comfortable one, though.

4 Stores over 5 years, lots of opportunity at CarMax

Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the company culture. It felt like family, even with the sales consultants that came and went. The atmosphere was busy, but not stressful. I worked in both the sales department and the buyer's department, and both were fun and educational experiences. Buyers in particular are very knowledgeable about cars individually and as a market. I learned a ton from this job. Plenty of inside-hiring even across departments.

Also, tuition reimbursement!

Cons

I thought leadership was done well. Plenty of chances to receive both recognition and constructive criticism. Pay was about what I expected as a college student: not great, but not bad.

Sales wasn't my favorite thing, and commission was lacking unless you really stuck with it and got into president's club.

Integrate some more mobile technology especially with the buyer's assistants: We can do so much more if we didn't have to run in to check a computer every time we finished a task.

Fun place, great amenities, poor managers

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CarMax offers great amenities but you have to work for it. They are all about customer service and surveys, so if yu can provide great customer service and have a good score on your survey from your customer, it is a great thing because they give you quarterly bonuses if you keep your customer service percentage at a certain level. At the end of the year if you keep it up, they make a huge celebration for those who are above average where they pay for your stay in vegas, your rental, and even dinner with drinks. The pay is good, but you get capped so you need to move up in order to get more pay but they give you the opportunity to grow.

Cons

Processes and procedures are constantly changing. There is also alot of managers rotating to different locations or departments so there is no steady expectations from managers. Worst part is that most manager don't know what they are doing and you have to train them. Hours are horrible in the sales and office section, if you are scheduled to close at a specific time, don't expect to go home at that time. There are a lot of late nights because the managers want to meet budget so they can get a bonus.

I prefer management that has been with the company and understand the way it works instead of hiring from the outside for a management position because for the most part, they don't know what they are doing and they end up making everyone pick up their slack.

unfortunate pay for a BOA

Former Employee - BOA
    Former Employee - BOA

I worked at CarMax full-time

Pros

nice teammates
    structure of SBRI feedback was great but needs to be used less often

Cons

pay is hardly enough
    training is good but sometimes not consistent

make the minimum pay better and streamline training

Solid Company

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Benefits package is solid, great diversity, training is top notch and getting even better. Commitment to development.

Cons

Very little to consider a con. Not always easy to grow from within, appearance to hire from the outside than promote.