Cardinal Health

Updated 19 September 2014
3.2

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett
George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and supportive of community causes (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, clean work environment, strong Management Team (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 20 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's the manager you work for or with that makes a difference in your work experience with Cardinal. Great co-workers, teammates. Career growth, benefits.

Cons

Not so much a con, however, make sure you network so that you and the value you bring are visible to the organization due to its size and scope.

Talent/ Career development is encouraged, make sure all managers are doing this for all their direct reports.

great company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

company is full of great people

Cons

i really don't have any cons

great company

Good Experience

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

There is a respectable opportunity for growth

Cons

There is poor communication between departments

enhance communication skills, more transparent

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Dublin, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dublin, OH (US)

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare Industry
    Excellent Work Life Balance

Cons

Sometimes it seems that mediocrity is rewarded

Cardinal Health Experience

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work for. Strong management team, very good benefits, excellent resources to do your job.

Cons

Employees working in the field seem to be separated from the corporate culture. By that I mean that communications, advancement opportunities, etc. are more targeted to those working in the corporate headquarters than those in the field.

It really was a nice place to work.

Former Employee - Administrative  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I feel that this company is doing great work, and was proud to work for them. I only left because a better career opportunity was offered to work in the field I really wanted to focus on.

Cons

I guess if it is a con for some people, there is a lot of walking involved in most positions because they have such a huge warehouse.

Same advise I would give to any manager, just ensure you are listening to the actual concerns that are brought to your attention.

One day somebody is going to drive this company to reach its potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some real talent! Cordial people. Great to have onsite cafeteria. With their town halls, I believe senior management makes a real effort to communicate. Between the Dublin infrastructure and Chicagoland's ability to attract world class talent the two campus structure really works.
    Process driven. Agree with a lot of the other reviews that the paperwork is tremendous but, it's necessary because it includes the optimal steps to accomplish tasks that a lot of people worked very hard to get right (fully compliant, recognized within both CAH's and its customer's systems, GPO pricing, reach every call point, forecasted so we have product in the distribution center, etc.).
    The training that went into category management brought some new practices across the business and a near unified team in terms of implementation.

Cons

Because of the international product development pipeline and the supply chain, the need for frequent nightly phone calls can cause long hours. Most of us understood and assumed that our efforts were recognized.
    Pay is below average compared to other medical distribution or medical device companies.
    Lot of 30-40 something ticket punching, know it all, Director's and VP's who can't identify a single staff member they've developed to a higher level. While they bring some excellent tools to the organization it's hard to measure the impact of them complaining about their boss's title over drinks when the required annual review and semi-annual goal setting is the only time they will discuss career development with their own direct reports.
    Nepotism rules! Promotions are awarded based upon who you know rather than how you performed.
    Recognition for hard work is sometimes stolen-besides upper management presentations where credit was claimed I heartbreakingly witnessed a company award go to an individual for entirely someone else's work.

Pay attention to the Voice of Employee survey's. Lots of talking people "off the ledge" every time these are done but the truth's shouldn't be ignored. You have a real issue in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd levels of management and lack of HR presence in Waukegan. Workplace bullies exist at all three levels, have been unchecked, and you lost some very good people due to these circumstances. HR absenteeism usually results in the subordinate being forced out of the organization instead of separating the two people.
    Get real about where you want to take this business. Too many competing agendas. Starting at the top, get rid of the people including the "brown nosers" who aren't working each and every day towards achieving your vision. Consider bringing back some former high achievers who know the way to get things done.

Great on boarding process but terrible growth opportunity.

Current Employee - Coordinator, Product Data Management  in  Dublin, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator, Product Data Management in Dublin, OH (US)

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training process. Extremely thorough training process. The company stands for great values, consistent encouragement of all employees to further their careers.

Cons

Working as a contractor should allow for greater chance of being brought on full time. Very un-transparent of open possibilities. Little effort to help you network and further your career. All talk, no walk.

Cardinal Health was an okay place to work.

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

Good Benefits, PTO and work balance
    Co-workers were dedicated to the success of company
    Teamwork was strong and management was open & respectful
    Optimism and Spirit was high

Cons

Compensation wasn't the greatest
    there wasn't enough room for personal growth
    Innovation and adaptability was low

very good company to work for

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time

Pros

good company to grow in / the benefits and great people to work with

Cons

the only thing is you have to work hard no time to play game stay on your toes long hours.

they are ok.

Worked for Cardinal Health? Contribute to the Community!