CareerBuilder

Updated 21 August 2014

3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

202 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The sky's the limit

Former Employee - Major Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

CB really is a great company to work for. It's great for those just breaking their teeth as well as experienced executives. They will always recognize hard work and reward and promote accordingly! If you're in sales and performing, you can write your own ticket.

Cons

I honestly have to stretch to think of cons for CB. Yes, I've read other reviews about Micro - Managers, but it IS a sales organization first and foremost. The only con that I can think of is I have seen top performers, who have truly done above and beyond work, not get total support when needed. CB tends to be the type of place that so long as you're "problem - free" and hitting you numbers then all is well. Again, I'm stretching to find cons...

Keep listening to the employees, the "Ideas from Everywhere" competition is awesome! The Wrigley Field event was always my favorite thing (other than trip) and keep killing it at Kickoff, it provides a great "refresher"

Overall the company has a great vision and understand what the indutry dictates

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

It's turned into true software sales and they are starting to changes everythign to support that

Cons

A little slow in transitioning comp to a SaaS company.

Get the operations side functioning more effectively.

Good company, mind numbing job

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Company culture is young and fun, they're generous on the giveaways (ipads and amazon cash), my immediate co-workers were great

Cons

this is true of any sales job - constant worry about hitting sales quota and cold calling the occasional jerk

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great compensation, but not a solid structure

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Young and energetic atmosphere. A lot of opportunity and great bonuses you can make a lot of money straight out the gate.

Cons

Management is inexperienced and pretty much anyone from within has the opportunity to lead a team, even with no track record of success themselves or leadership skills. Promotions are not on a performance basis. You can interview with a manager on a higher team at any point and promotions are chosen politically. If you're "popular" you have more opportunity than if you are a top performer who doesn't mingle with everyone.

Stricter attention should be paid to who you are putting in management. A great leader should be someone who has been successful in the sales role themselves first, not someone who is looking to try something new as an experiment. Promoting off of reps results should be first and foremost.

Prepared me for future success

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Fun, young environment. Good opportunity for someone looking to gain experience. Extensive training and great tools to work with. Health plan was top notch.

Cons

Cold-calling is difficult. Number of calls and call time quotas were sometimes difficult to hit due to lack of legitimate leads. Sales quota was difficult as well due to area.

Great for making $$ quickly. Terrible day to day company culture.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Great training, and money making opportunities. It was my first sales job and I wasn't sure what to expect. They trained me very well and I had opportunity to attend some great trips and team building activities and was able to make a substantial amount of money my first year.

Cons

Management styles create a tough atmosphere of micromanagement with no sense of what the actual viable sales opportunities exist. I was well over my quota but I wasn't making the dials that they wanted me to. Meanwhile activity faking is rampant within the company justifying their very high standards of work. I understand why they work that way, but that doesn't make it a good company to work for. Most people I know don't last a year in this job. Or they are very dumb and don't know better.

Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Company culture, group dynamic, good training program

Cons

Hard to hit monthly quotas

Additional leads

You get out of it what you put into it

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Excellent sales boot camp; if you are willing to learn and check your attitude at the door; this is the place for you. Tons of opportunity, tons of money to be made, and the perks can't be beat! Annual Sales Trips + Happy Hours & Work Events are commonplace!

Cons

The culture has changed as the company has grown up... less like a family more like a franchise.

First job out of college and it has kept me for 7+ years

Current Employee - Major Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Great Company, have learned so much, great CEO, wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Internal teams don't understand what affects our clients. Products are created and rolled out to quickly and are unsuccessful. Reps then look bad and take the blame for them. it makes iIt hard for sales reps to "sell" when we can't believe in the product offerings and are unsure if they will work.

Great company

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth within the company, good management, work/life balance is excellent, culture overall is great. Senior management truly care about their employees.

Cons

The comp plan is terrible. They sell you on the fact that you're going to make a lot of money selling when in reality, you're not being compensated for what you actually do sell. After a while, there is no challenge anymore. If you have a great year one year, you have to work ten times as hard to be successful and make more money the next year. No one wants to call and nag their clients to "post their jobs."

Keep doing what you're doing by rewarding those who are succeeding. There's absolutely no need to call people out by name when they are having a rough week or month. Everyone has bad months, it's unprofessional to make it known to the entire group.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!