CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated 19 September 2014
3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 16 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

205 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the least stable jobs I've had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I felt I was well paid here, for the work I was doing. There was occasionally some free food, lying around.

Cons

I worked here as a contractor. Me and my coworkers for the most part all worked roughly 40 hours a week. In all modesty I don't think I've ever been so good at a job, while at the same time being so scared I could be fired. I eventually quit, because they were one by one, letting my coworkers go with a weeks notice. Very typical corporate indifference to the well being of it's employees.

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. Particularly great place to work if you are starting a career.

Cons

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. However, know that once you have a great year in commissions, be prepared to move on unless you have an opportunity to take over an office. If you do not, and you do not know an AVP or higher....start planning your next career move. Until then, have fun and work for a spot on the company trip.

This company epitomizes the statement: it is all about who you know.

Great place to work and very fun environment

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, training, and opportunities to meet other team members and collaborate on projects

Cons

Very sales driven company which can sometimes be stressful. I was on a new team that formed so at times the expectations were unrealistic.

Develop employees to manage teams

The sky's the limit

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CB really is a great company to work for. It's great for those just breaking their teeth as well as experienced executives. They will always recognize hard work and reward and promote accordingly! If you're in sales and performing, you can write your own ticket.

Cons

I honestly have to stretch to think of cons for CB. Yes, I've read other reviews about Micro - Managers, but it IS a sales organization first and foremost. The only con that I can think of is I have seen top performers, who have truly done above and beyond work, not get total support when needed. CB tends to be the type of place that so long as you're "problem - free" and hitting you numbers then all is well. Again, I'm stretching to find cons...

Keep listening to the employees, the "Ideas from Everywhere" competition is awesome! The Wrigley Field event was always my favorite thing (other than trip) and keep killing it at Kickoff, it provides a great "refresher"

Overall the company has a great vision and understand what the indutry dictates

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's turned into true software sales and they are starting to changes everythign to support that

Cons

A little slow in transitioning comp to a SaaS company.

Get the operations side functioning more effectively.

Good company, mind numbing job

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture is young and fun, they're generous on the giveaways (ipads and amazon cash), my immediate co-workers were great

Cons

this is true of any sales job - constant worry about hitting sales quota and cold calling the occasional jerk

Great compensation, but not a solid structure

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Young and energetic atmosphere. A lot of opportunity and great bonuses you can make a lot of money straight out the gate.

Cons

Management is inexperienced and pretty much anyone from within has the opportunity to lead a team, even with no track record of success themselves or leadership skills. Promotions are not on a performance basis. You can interview with a manager on a higher team at any point and promotions are chosen politically. If you're "popular" you have more opportunity than if you are a top performer who doesn't mingle with everyone.

Stricter attention should be paid to who you are putting in management. A great leader should be someone who has been successful in the sales role themselves first, not someone who is looking to try something new as an experiment. Promoting off of reps results should be first and foremost.

Prepared me for future success

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun, young environment. Good opportunity for someone looking to gain experience. Extensive training and great tools to work with. Health plan was top notch.

Cons

Cold-calling is difficult. Number of calls and call time quotas were sometimes difficult to hit due to lack of legitimate leads. Sales quota was difficult as well due to area.

Great for making $$ quickly. Terrible day to day company culture.

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, and money making opportunities. It was my first sales job and I wasn't sure what to expect. They trained me very well and I had opportunity to attend some great trips and team building activities and was able to make a substantial amount of money my first year.

Cons

Management styles create a tough atmosphere of micromanagement with no sense of what the actual viable sales opportunities exist. I was well over my quota but I wasn't making the dials that they wanted me to. Meanwhile activity faking is rampant within the company justifying their very high standards of work. I understand why they work that way, but that doesn't make it a good company to work for. Most people I know don't last a year in this job. Or they are very dumb and don't know better.

Inside Sales

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture, group dynamic, good training program

Cons

Hard to hit monthly quotas

Additional leads