Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

Human Resource Processionals - Stay Away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wayzata, MN (US)

ProsThere is the potential to gain a great deal of experience given the size and many jobs available. It is also an ideal company to start your career. I would not recommend this company for seasoned HR or L&D professionals.

ConsFor seasoned HR or L&D professionals, it is a dead end unless you are in the "clique". They take care of each other and there is this select group that continues to receive all of the opportunities. It is quite dysfunctional. While they speak a lot about "development" they do not practice what they preach. The rest of us are never given a second thought. I am a seasoned HR professional that thought I had a lot to offer this company. It was apparent after a few years that it did not matter because I was not in the "clique".

Within my team, I was told that I was the most professional and accountable. There was one person who had a chronic problem with LOAs and another that was placed on a PIP. We had a manager that was young and just serving her two years so that she could move on to her next promotion. She did move on and the manager that was to oversee our work, gave us little or no time as he was having an affair with a colleague.

I worked hard to find a new role within HR and L&D, but I was not successful. My job was eliminated while the rest of the dysfunction in my HR team remained. I started my job at Cargill feeling so pumped and excited. I left the company feeling quite diminished.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside of your own needs and your own circle of relationships and give other internal candidates a chance to show you what they can do - even if they have not had "direct" experience for that very job.

Please be thoughtful before you decide to eliminate a job. I don't think some of you have any idea how it alters a life.

Knowledgeable

Commodity Merchant (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros-Good place to learn
    -Good structure and work/life balance

Cons- The Malaysian office works pretty badly.
    - Office politics are good, however, the works are cascaded unevenly between the employees. Thus, encountering a highly paid employee with less workload is normal. Meanwhile, the next to them are the lowly paid employees that are handling the bulk of the work
    - Career development are next to none, as the manager decides to approve or not which most of the time, your choice is not what they want.
    - Increments are around 4-5% if you have met your KPI/KRA
    - They do retrench people without much notice and real explanation
    - employees are very demotivated that the turnover was high.
    - Daily conversation of switching jobs are often heard amongst the employees.

Advice to Senior Management- Please hear what the employees really want/need and not what the management thinks what they want/need.
    - Ensure the compensation package is reviewed. For example; the Malaysian medical benefit is capped at RM2500 for 30 years. Unchanged.

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayzata, MN (US)

Pros- Focus on community giving
    - Opportunity to work on global projects
    - Hard working people that really care about customers and doing the right thing

Cons- Lack of accountability of poor performers, especially at the leadership level
    - Little respect for mid-career talent
    - Too many decisions being made with the bottom line in mind; no regard for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying employees at the lowest percentile. Hold your leaders and their supervisors accountable. A BU functional leader should not have an engagement score below 45% with more than 100% turnover and still be in their position a year later. Would not recommend for certain functions (i.e., communications, marketing, HR).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

International Transportation Planner

International Trade Associate (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsGood community partner. they do excellent work for charity

ConsBad management. Too top heavy and they have poor communication internally. EVERYTHING is need to know and they never think you need to know

Advice to Senior Managementtake the time to talk to your people. try and understand life beyond your closed door meetings

Incompetent Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsVery relaxed and undemanding compared to large multinationals.
    Lots of diversity in product range offer good opportunities for. Broad experience.

ConsComplacent culture
    Senior management is a closed boys club
    Bureaucracy is everything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Minneapolis.

Opportunity ... or NOT!

ProsCargill has been a great company to work for with amazing opportunity to network and advance, if you take part in that. As one of the outsourced IT team, I'm wishing I had done so much earlier in my career here.

ConsThere've been a lot of restructuring in the recent years to Global IT. Seems none of them have been truly followed through to completion so has somewhat left it destined to fail at providing stability and the ability to become the holy grail of that center of excellence now being sought.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope your decision to move IT Infrastructure to Managed Services pays off. If not, many dedicated and talented people's lives were disrupted for naught.

Good company. Good benefits.

ProsStability and willingness to take on risk. Cargill will give failing businesses a chance to survive. But only for a short time. They will exit businesses where they have no competitive advantage, which is smart.

ConsThe IT outsourcing is not a good decision. IT security support is already difficult for users because of offshoring and communication gaps. Now they are extending this to all IT services. Every biz will suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. But bring IT back to US.

they were great people for the most part, but boring repetitive work

QM Chemist (Former Employee) Blair, NE (US)

Prosuh, the people were awesome, like I said. Everyone seemed friendly and the management seemed like they cared about the employees.

Consthe hours were horrible, no personal life

Advice to Senior Managementconsider shortening to a 10 hour day.

Could be a great company

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

ConsManagement has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.

Great international company

Grain Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Proshuge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Conssome locations not very glamorous

Advice to Senior Managementkeep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!