Cargill Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I have worked for.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

high values, respect for people, not just telling how important people are for them,but really taking care of them, very low turnover

Cons

little bit slow for some people, salary van be lower than average

keep on doing as before

Company has grown into a bureaucracy where politics trumps performance

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security, huge balance sheet, private company able to focus on the long-term

Cons

Far too many employees that would likely not cut it at other companies due to underperformance remain employed and in some cases in positions with significant responsibility, often stagnating earnings in business units particularly the energy platform which has lost many key senior traders in the past 2 years which had been large contributors to earnings over the past decade.

It's a job

Current Employee - Accounting Customer Service Representative  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The business of agriculture is not going anywhere. It can't. People need food, and food needs land to grow. Typically willing to work with employees on Work/Life balance, ability to work from home occasionally, time off for regular doctor visits and children's needs.

Cons

The business isn't going anywhere, but the jobs are. Centralizing all admin jobs and most customer service. Farmers, Cargill's customers, are angry. Low pay - most of us have college degrees for a job the doesn't necessitate it, making well below the Market average for our jobs in our region. Not much room for advancement.

Get more input from different people/positions within the organization before making huge decisions. We recently closed a plant that local management had spent a couple years discussing and creating a viable long term plan for, but when centralized management came in, they saw what they wanted to see and completely dismissed the 2 years of analysis that had already been done.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stellar - if you're an Employee

I worked at Cargill

Pros

The office environment is great, nice cafeterias and coffee bars, lovely facilities including outdoor eating, gym, etc. Lots of charity work - blood drives, habitat for humanity, silent auctions, food drives, etc. High security on campuses, very safe environment. Fun events for staff. Encouraged health and wellbeing - walking meetings around campus instead of sitting, nutrition info in cafeteria. Some teams have a lot of fun, and creativity is encouraged in making your team stand out. Great benefits and perks - for employees. Decent compensation. Employees are extremely loyal to the company. High ethical and moral code. Incredible job security for employees. Team leads and managers are encouraged to (and, in my experience, do) facilitate very frequent one-on-one meetings with their employees, discussing projects, workload, giving advice and mentoring, etc. Most are very in touch with what their team is working on, very involved and hands-on.

Cons

Dichotomy between the old guard and the new - lots of "lifers" that want to do things the way they've always done them, and they are impossible to fire - Cargill is BIG on tenure, and even newer employees they won't fire, they just push them off on other departments so their incompetence travels. If the older team members don't like or understand a technology, good luck getting it. If they love a bad idea or something poorly rated, if they've given it the Go Ahead, you better drink the kool-aid and get on board. Consultants are bottom-rung and there is a VERY CLEAR distinction between whether you're a Contractor or an Employee, and you WILL feel it, moreso than anywhere else I've experienced. Get used to hearing about a perk and then hearing, "...but that's only for Employees." Some companies treat consultants as assets who bring their expertise to the team on a limited basis, and therefore are even more valuable. Here, contractors are expendable, temporary, and worth little, regardless of what they bring to the table. Due to their Promote From Within philosophy and the abundance of employees getting pushed off teams, it's nearly impossible to be hired permanently if you start as a consultant. They'll give the job to an incompetent employee just for applying before making a talented consultant perm - you'll be saying Goodbye to your gifted contractors and scrambling to find fixes, being told to Make It Work. Employees are golden children, regardless of talent, experience, or intelligence. Don't get me wrong, there are very talented employees who earned their positions, but they're more the exception than the rule. Speaking of "rules," those change often. REALLY often. Definite consensus culture, which is great when you need immediate change to a small team policy, but makes it impossible for department-wide decisions to get pushed through. Lots of hoops to jump through. Compensation isn't outstanding, considering the revenue of the company. More incremental raises based on tenure versus performance.

Focus on talent and performance over tenure. That is the single greatest weakness of Cargill.

Good company if starting your career, terrible if you are coming in mid career

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Hopkins, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Hopkins, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays well, better work life balance day to day

Cons

If you are an experienced hire be prepared to be treated like you don't know anything- by everyone! Cargill culture is very old fashioned, white male dominated and hierarchical.

Please start working on being inclusive. I am not talking about race or gender only, I am talking about being open to conversation and ideas.

Hard to find the next position

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

The people are great to work with

Cons

very conservative company and hard to move to the next position

IT externalization

Former Employee - IT Analyst
    Former Employee - IT Analyst

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good company with benefits for employees (gym lunch tickets, etc)
    good work environment, nice people
    decent offices

Cons

no development plan for employees career
    too many old and different IT systems
    too many procedures
    big differences between employees
    contractors are payed much better

Dear management, I really hope that the externalization of IT infrastructure will be the slap in the face you deserve. You have thrown away a lots of great, dedicated, devoted and talented people. Not to mention that the entire externalization is more expensive than you think. In the last years it was mentioned that the IT systems do not need to be upgraded as this is too expensive and brings no added value. I guess now it brings the value for TCS. Good luck with! Too bad that Cargill's culture and corporate values are real only on paper.I expected more from you Cargill, my bad i guess :)

My experience with Cargill was a very worthwhile and learning experience.

I worked at Cargill

Pros

The best reason to work for Cargill is the amount of knowledge and experience you'll will gain in a short amount of time, as well as the quality of the skill base one will acquire.

Cons

Some things that Cargill lacked was the ability of proper training, meaning people in new positions would ultimately have to train themselves and learn from their mistakes with upper management looking at the mistakes and not giving guidance of how to correct the problems.

My advice with upper management would be more cross training among different positions so that co-workers don't have to be so reliant on one person especially if that person isn't available.

Nice place to work but mediocre salaries and benefits in Geneva

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a large company so, if you are good, there are a wide range of learning and career opportunities.

Cons

Very insular with few senior people having experienced anything other than Cargill. Some leaders have a tendency to micro-manage, although that is probably true of all companies. I feel that the company could be surprised by external events and just not be ready for them.

Very, US minded. Very average benefits in Geneva, especially for more experienced people. Just 20 days vacation for the first 5 years, company cars non existent, no financial support towards commuting costs, short notice-periods, economy class air travel for most, old building and systems and mediocre salaries that don't increase regularly once you are in. Very good training opportunities, however, when you can work your way through the multiple options and bureaucracy to find out about them. Also, extremely nice, welcoming people, competent functions and great values and culture.

Learn more from your senior external hires. Improve non trader salaries and benefits.

Well paid but overworked

Current Employee - Electrician  in  Westwego, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrician in Westwego, LA (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent wages
    Union plant
    Work isn't very difficult
    Double time on Sundays
    Triple time when scheduled to work on a holiday

Cons

Go long stretches (2+ months) with no days off
    Safety is lacking
    Management pushes production over employee safety
    7 day work weeks and very rarely get holidays off

Management needs to work the hours that the maintenance and production crew works to fully understand how hard the 7 day schedule is. Management gets weekends and holidays off while we are at work.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!