Cbeyond Reviews

Updated 13 September 2014
3.2

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 23 reviews)

• The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• The "door to door" style of sales is old fashioned and doesnt work like it did 15 years ago (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Stop the bleeding

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. Relaxed dress code.

Cons

Cbeyond was recently bought out by a company that's driven by sales and cutting costs alone without repercussions in mind at a fast pace. This has jeopardized operational functionality and morale.

Take serious steps to identify the current demand for talent in order to keep key position holders from leaving the company.

Solution Advisor

Current Employee - Solution Advisor  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Advisor in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Management, Birch Merger could shake up some items
    Great Culture in the Sales Department
    I have and I had a lot of FUN here
    Great place to learn the ropes

Cons

Marketing Vision, Quota Target, and Sales Model need alignment
    Things are very uncertain at the moment with the Merger

Create a clear direction and make the goal attainable

Great begginings but over 10 years company eventually got bought out and things fell apart

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

During the early years Cbyond was a great place to work at....if you applied yourself you would be sucessful. Great people to work with...easy to collaborate...friendly environment. Everybody was energised ready to work and get things done.

Cons

As time went on things started to change as company was not valued as they once was, investors were demanding changes to drive share price as such culture changed with new management coming in and eventually company got sold to a privately held telecommunciation services company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Now Birch Telecommunications

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Opportunity to advance, great opportunities to work with latest hardware and software. Majority of employees enjoyed work and were great to work with.

Cons

The product offerings were too diverse which lead to large development hours on products that never sold. Sales never understood cloud products and most came through Individual Case Reviews. This also increase Operational costs as there was no repeatable model. New software solutions were poorly vetted prior to purchase and many need not meet needs. End result is decreasing revenue vs increased cost and we were bought.

Keep it simple, repeatable, profitable rather than guess, but its too late now.

Merger Hurting the culture

Current Employee - Program/Project Management  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people who really care about staff and customers at the lower levels of the company

Cons

New management is disconnected from culture and making business changes that may drastically impact the customer

Be honest with staff about which groups are likely to be laid off because of redundancy so that we have a chance of retaining some of the critical people inside of the organization

Good Sales Training but a Miserable Job and Company

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're right out of college and this is a first job, you may want to consider it. They offer a great sales training program. Use this job as a stepping stone to get the sales job you want. Young culture, weekly competitions, and spiffs. And they have a great advancement program, so if you work hard and do well you'll get promoted really quickly. And by quickly I mean within weeks.

Cons

There is nothing glamorous about this job. Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses. And here's the thing... the businesses/business owners hate you. Because you're interrupting their day and trying to sell them a product/service they do not want. That someone else has already tried to sell them 20 times. The gatekeepers usually know who you are the moment you walk in the door. The Management team has really unrealistic expectations of their sales reps. They require that you hit 50 doors (business) a DAY and if you run an appointment that counts as 10. So yeah... 50 cold calls a day. Lastly, I wasn't that impressed with their product/service offering so I didn't feel that good about what I was selling. I never felt like I was giving the business owners a valuable solution.

Treat your people like people. Not a number.

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There was good access to modern VoIP equipment. The pay was competitive. Benefits were average.

Cons

Some people moved into management who clearly had no experience and/or were not cut out for it. This caused general dissatisfaction among the people reporting to those managers.

Promoting internally is generally a good idea, but only so long as those people possess the necessary skills. In some cases, it makes sense to look outside the company to fill those roles.

Good

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Anaheim, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Anaheim, CA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learning experience, Fun quota trips, good culture

Cons

cold calling, high turn over, not the best product, low base salary

Reward those who are selling

One of the best companies I've worked for, with a history of excellent service.

Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are involved not only in your customers and job, but in improving the overall community with volunteer events and opportunities to help outside of work.

Cons

Changes are more frequent than usual, with sometimes having trouble keeping up with who to go to on resolution due to directional changes. Once you have that, however, balance is once again restored.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sol  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sol in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for driven individuals

Cons

Favoritism towards some unworthy individuals

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!