Cbeyond Reviews

Updated 15 August 2014

3.3

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 23 reviews)

• The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• The "door to door" style of sales is old fashioned and doesnt work like it did 15 years ago (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best companies I've worked for, with a history of excellent service.

Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Service Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are involved not only in your customers and job, but in improving the overall community with volunteer events and opportunities to help outside of work.

Cons

Changes are more frequent than usual, with sometimes having trouble keeping up with who to go to on resolution due to directional changes. Once you have that, however, balance is once again restored.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sol  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sol in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for driven individuals

Cons

Favoritism towards some unworthy individuals

Post Acquisition

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Birch and Cbeyond are now one company and anyone posting an opinion should post it to one site not two!

Cons

Change is always hard but cbeyond staff are not the only ones getting laid off.

the CEO of Cbeyond did not have the company sold out from under him. He had 666,600 shares which is public knowledge since they were publicly held. He voted to sell the company and cash out his stock instead of stay and help stop the cash flow issue they were facing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great working atmosphere and culture. The people at Cbeyond are some of the most amazing and hardworking individuals.

Current Employee - Process Excellence  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Process Excellence in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people at Cbeyond were like my second family. Everyone I have met from upper management, directors, VP's, and even our CEO were very down to earth and approachable. There is a sense of community and a relaxed place to work. Although we had to do our share of hard work and sweat, the culture here is definitely supportive for creative and analytical individuals willing to try different routes to create new products or improve business efficiency.

I loved the weekly lunch n' learns where we were able to enhance our value both for the company and ourselves during lunch on weekly topics from project management, change, and various other topics. CbeyondUniversity also helped my team and I to learn and update our skill sets in order to become even more effective.

Cons

I have loved my time at Cbeyond, the only downfall would be that my entire team was broken up when the company was recently acquired. But that was expected as acquisitions and mergers come with lots of change.

As stated above the personal growth factors with lunch n' learns and CbeyondUniversity proved to be invaluable to me. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best supervisors in the industry and look forward to working with them again in the near future.

Incredible work environment - like family!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was with Cbeyond for 6 years. Loved it. The company culture was wonderful. You really felt for the most part like you were part of a big family. I met majority of my closest friends while employed.

Cons

The Board of Directors got greedy and sold the company out from under the CEO. Very sad. Cbeyond was acquired by Birch Communications. From day 1 as Birch it was like the life was sucked out of the building. Just heartbreaking.

Birch could learn a lot about how you treat employees and customers from Cbeyond.

Terrific culture - Birch has changed the awesome culture

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great leadership
    Fantastic family friendly culture

Cons

Birch is losing top talent in its quest for aggressive cost cutting.

Great until the Buyout!

Current Employee - Network Engineer Tier III  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer Tier III in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cbeyond's culture and pool of talent was great. They had good time off benefits and a family feel. A good bit of freedom to either succeed or fail on your own.

Cons

The compensation is below industry average. The buyout of Cbeyond by Birch has presented several problems already. Birch has already completely changed the culture and the methods of Operations and Engineering.

Great learning platform, awful environment

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Cbeyond

Pros

It's a very fun, challenging work environment where you get to learn with great people. Anyone interested in a career in sales will benefit from the sales training and overall sales environment.

Cons

It's a sink or swim type company. Cold calling is an essential part of the business and this will never go away. You are selling a low brand image product in a completely saturated market. Turnover is extremely high and some of the managers create a toxic work environment.

Sales goals are way too lofty, especially considering only around 10-15% of the reps meet their monthly goals. Create more leads for your reps, it will go along way.

NOC

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Vending machines are pretty cheap, almost everything is 50 cents.

Cons

Revolving door, do not care about their employees.

Culture, Culture, Culture

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's pretty rare to find a company that remains true to it's core values through thick and thin. Over the course of my decade at Cbeyond, I can honestly say that a majority of both employees and leadership lived the core values of Caring Relentlessly, Acting Graciously, Leading Courageously, and Learning Continuously.

Cons

Notice that I said "a majority" of employees and leadership. There were certainly exceptions. Unfortunately as a result of the recent acquisition, it's highly unlikely that any of the former Cbeyond culture will remain intact.

Continue fostering a culture that people are proud to be a part of.

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!