Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You get what you put in

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros-Good place to learn Healthcare IT
-Good Appraisals if you are ready to put your blood in your work. In short you can expect 25 - 30% hikes if you do GREAT.

Cons-No worklife balance.
-Too much work pressure if you want good growth and you don't get to invest time in self improvement/ updating your technical skills.
-Incompetent Architects in India generally with a few exceptions
-Average intellect of teams
-No cafeteria despite long work hour expectations

Advice to Senior Management-They should try to create an environment where employees work life balance is respected.

One of the great place to work for the developers

I have been working at Cerner

ProsCerner is one of the best place to work because of the work environment what it provides for its employees. Being a health care giant Cerner provides different kind of benefits for its employees including attractive insurance packages to the employees and their families. It provides a very flexible work timings to the Employees. The Cerner management hierarchy was built very well.
People on the top are very much approachable.

ConsCerner attracts the young talent from different colleges with much higher packages compared to the market standards. But they have high competition from other companies while hiring the senior or experienced resources from the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the main concern what i have about Cerner is about its branding. Cerner India is not very well known in the market except to those who people who come from a health care background. Cerner has very well built hierarchy in the top management. Have to take some efforts to attract the young talent from the market which is highly competitive.

Satisfied.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

ProsBalanced work and personal life.

ConsClients interactions is less and new technolgies work is not so competence.

Well, you just found Dilbert's office address

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

Pros1) If you are a fresher, you would be trained well and you get to gain a good exposure to industry practices.
2) Pay for freshers is good
3) Job security - You need to slap your manager to get fired.. that is for a month or so periodically.
3) If you can survive in Cerner for 2 years without burning out, you can survive in most of the world deserts, north, south poles and enjoy working in any of the other IT companies.

Cons1) You can forget about the term "life" for a while. No one knows what work-life balance is in this company.
2) You get to meet defective human beings (museum specimens) called "Software Architects" which I feel you would have no chance of coming across any where in the world. These specimens/entities are direct descendants of the "pointy haired boss from Dilbert comics". They are extremely incompetent (technically, socially) and only exist to make the associates work for 15 hours a day.
3) Regardless of how much training you receive here, your technical, coding skills will evaporate because the work is mostly clerical (some of it is like data entry) regardless of what your title is.
4) As soon as the specimens/entities(see point 2) above you feel you are becoming too important for the team, they would bring in a few dummies and ask you to train them (in case you try to leave).
5) There would be constant pressure to increase the output of the associate (regardless of whether the output is already high or not).

Advice to Senior Management1) Treat employees as human beings instead of mules.
2) Change your grading criteria
3) Fire your self and let the company prosper.

Ok place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

2) Poor management
3) Lot of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some talents instead of mere numbers

Cerner India review / feedback from current associate

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

ProsI am working for Cerner India since long time now (>2 years) and have also spent some time at Cerner HQ in Kansas City. It is very easy to point out negative but I want to emphasize on good things first - Cerner India recruits fresher from college and pay them well as starting salary (primarily to attract talent because of competitive market today) and the quality of training is superb. This culture comes from Cerner HQ and as an organization they try their best to train the associate in every aspect of healthcare domain and IT skills in line with their business needs. There are lots of big IT players which do not bother to train associates in domain with risk of increasing their employability outside and thus attrition, but Cerner spends good time and money on making fresher Healthcare IT engineers. As such it is good company for fresher to start their career and they will not just be a number there but an associate with due importance.

ConsNow what ails Cerner India? The major problem is highly inefficient managers and architects. There are people at Lead architect and architect level who cannot write one piece of logical code properly, forget helping their teams by giving valuable inputs or architectural insights. These are the people whom Cerner hired when they opened new office in India and they have become indispensable for Cerner India now but as a matter of fact they are good for nothing in terms of technical growth. All new managers which are hired are friends/relatives of current managers so it is a mesh now which has becomes is rotting the culture of India office. They just know how to manage engineers, force them to work till last breath and make excel sheets to keep their bosses in US HQ happy. Because of this big team of highly incompetent leaders in Cerner India, they play dirty politics among themselves to save their skin and good engineers at the bottom get frustrated and say good bye.
In the nutshell, Cerner is good company to work but I wish someday Cerner HQ realize the true picture of Cerner India and replaces dummy architects with competent ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementCerner HQ realize the true picture of Cerner India and replaces dummy architects with competent ones.

Cerner took my career to a level I was not even able to imagine a year prior.

Solution Delivery Consultant (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important). The extensive training Cerner invests in their employees in top notch and really prepares the employees to give the best service to their Clients. Cerner participates and gives back to the community and encourages employees and their families to do so as well. Cerner has a Health Clinic right on campus to minimize the time employees need to be out of work; encourages preventive care and a healthy lifestyle. The on campus cafeteria is like going to a 5 star restaurant with McDonald prices; foods from vegan, seafood, homestyle, etc and fresh made to order everyday. There is an on campus gym, fitness center, pool, raquetball courts etc. since they encourage their employees to reduce stress with physical fitness; a healthy body is a healthy mind and ultimately benefits the Clients.

ConsThe area I was in was consulting and the weeks on the road tend to take a toll after a while; often expected to teach classes, hold knowledge transfers etc on Fridays after being on the road catering to the Client for 50-60 hours Monday through Thursday. I expected pay increases more often or at least when they came around to be a larger percentage. The pay increases where based on the Corporation as a whole and not necessarily the venue in which the employee worked and their participation in the profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the family atmosphere and continue to include the employees and their families in the philanthropy. When an employee is paid on salary, refer back to their actual hours worked for the Client and in house with knowledge transfers...don't assume it's a typical 40 hour week.

It all depends on where you are at....

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible Hours, Amazing Benefits, Great Technology. Cerner has one of the most relaxed and innovative working atmospheres that I have worked in. They are on the forefront of technology, and the deliver this to their associates.

ConsDepending on where you end up, management can be a challenge. They are either micro managers or don't manage at all. There are some people that ARE NOT cut out to be managers of people, but are. The good news is that you are able to change roles every 18 months or so if you wish. The issue here is that Cerner is SUCH a complex business, and being proficient in one area does you no good in the other. I know people that are experts in areas, but have no idea what goes on in others. Pay and vacations are about the norm. You can expect a "cost of living" increase in early roles, and as you climb the ladder, the raises and compensation get better. Basically, they wait around to see if you are going to stay, so they pay marginal to begin with. Don't let anyone fool you, there is money to be made in this company if you work hard enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your associates, and listen to their thoughts and opinions. Someone that is entry level might have an idea that could be the next big thing or revolutionize the way we do business... Also, don't hold people back just because you want to keep them on your team!

I have enjoyed my time there.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork and life balance. Empowered.

ConsSome stress but quite manageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Rewarding Career: You control your Career, Work\Life Balance and overall Happiness.

CWx Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsA growing business that offers a lot of ability to continue to grow and develop as an associate.

If you take the time to control your career you can grow with the company, and move on to bigger and better projects and experiences.

The benefits package is nice, the gyms at each main campus are awesome and the KC community tends to offer discounts to Cerner associates.

I have been given so many opportunities to grow and shine even though I started out of college with no experience. Now I lead my own events and mentor others.

ConsIf you are lazy or want someone else to control your destiny then you can lose a healthy work\life balance. I have seen people come in and expect to be handed everything vs. work for it and stand up for themselves. They don't stick around long and that is perfectly fine with me.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what to are doing, investing in your associates and improving how you value them. It is appreciated and felt.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.