Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Values and culture

KCIT Technical Apprentice (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner part-time for more than a year

ProsCerner has excellent values and a very accepting culture in that they promote and truly believe in the benefits of diversity within the workplace. They want individual for their knowledge regardless of what they look like!!
Plenty of Duck Dynasty bearded and full body tattooed employees... it really is impressive!

ConsWhen compared to other companies with similar position and skill requirements:
The only real con, is probably the same for any other company that has such an excellent culture to the point that people generally are willing to work for a little less salary since they get so many more other accommodations. At Cerner you have the flexability to work from home and have almost completely paid for healthcare with almost no out of pocket cost. Plus discounts on what seems like everything under the son as they have a relationship with almost every company and restaurant one can think of.
So because of all that and so much more that I am forgetting, employees do accept less pay then what they might make elsewhere, but as they feel they are getting so much more outside of pay that it more then makes up for the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have excellent values and culture with supreme benefits but the experienced employees need to be retained as to prevent high value knowledge loss to other companies. I would evaluate what it might take to keep them on to prevent employee churn.

Strong growth company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional development organization with some very skilled leadership. On site doctor's office and pharmacy are great, if you can get it. Fitness facilities are great.

ConsRemote parking is not fun and was unexpected. No cash bonus pay. Benefits are not the best. 401K match and health care plan are not a good as what I have had in the past. Fitness facilities need better hours to match people working in the remote parking lots.

Good industry to be in

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSteady pay check and ability to travel to many states and countries.

ConsSometimes over worked and under appreciated. Can be a boy's club at times.

Great place to get some experience and exposure in the professional world.

Business Apprentice (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner as an intern for more than a year

ProsValue employees and have amazing benefits.

ConsAlways working overtime, but able to work from home as well.

You won't be bored

Technology Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKeeps you very busy. There is great job security and growth. Get to challenge yourself regularly. There is frequent travel which some would consider a pro.

ConsWork / life balance can be brutal at times. Pay is not where it should be. You need to ask for it to get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about job and salary levels.

Good Company Strong Future

Senior Software Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGrowth business, good executive leadership, evolving engineering culture, large population of entry level folks, good facilities but stressed due to growth.

ConsPoor project and process management culture. Poor business analysis and strategy in many cases that rely on human decisions and opinions, rather than data driven, workflow driven, and usage driven design.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on management culture. Instead of relying on identifying born leaders, invest more in breeding managers.

Room for growth but will make you work for it.

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGood company for young people wanting to travel

ConsSometimes very long hours when on site

Development in achieving your goals personally and for the company

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement team understands the desire for movement within the company and will work with you to develop further and be prepared.

ConsBiggest challenge is learning by doing is the best way to advance in your career. Too many are eager to move up quick.

Cerner is growing big!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsCool technologies.
Talented employees.
Good benefits.
On site clinic and pharmacy.

ConsShuttle to parking lot.
Health insurance premium is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Love & Hate Relationship

I have been working at Cerner for less than a year

ProsI love my team and the work we do together - pair programming, code reviews, etc. It's been a very enlightening and rewarding experience.

It's an open forum: if you don't like something, it's pretty easy to talk to your team lead or even knock on the leadership door.

ConsThey are very corporate feel. My particular project doesn't feel like the cube-farm you usually get with a corporate feel, but to get anything done outside of your story requires a lot of leadership.

Compensation is OK, great for those coming right out of undergrad and getting trained here, but coming in as a well-experienced engineer and placed in the same "boat" as the undergrads in terms of salary is a bit of a insult.

Your team can make or break your experience here.

Work-Life balance can be difficult. Cerner still expects you to work overtime even if they don't promote it. They offer no compensation for the hours you work overtime even though it's expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making *every* team a pleasure to work with.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.